Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Default Do you remember?

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10659

The thread above got me to thinking. How many people remember what they were doing on that fateful morning on September 11th, 2001 when the news broadcasts broke through your favorite morning TV or radio show.

Me? I was at work cutting lumber for the mobile home mfgr. that I worked for then. I was jamming to 105.5 Mega Rock when the news broadcast broke through. You could have heard a pin drop in that plant. Not much work got done the rest of the day, as everyone listened to the devastation of the "Towers" coming down, the attack on the Pentagon, and Flight 93 crashing in to a field in Shanksville. I was a part time EMT then, and the next day a Medic and I were on PEMA's 'waiting list' to get called to the city.

I found this photo by Burghman in 2007, and it has been one of my favorites ever since.
Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 48379
Photograph © BurghMan
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Nobody remembers what you were doing 8 years ago today?

Here is the only photo that I could find in the database that was taken on Sept. 11th, 2001.
Image © Craig Walker
PhotoID: 120107
Photograph © Craig Walker
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Nobody remembers what you were doing 8 years ago today?
I do. Boring story, though. Just laying in bed listening to the radio when I heard the news. I then turned on the TV and was glued to it for the rest of the day while I talked on the phone and chatted online with family and friends.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I was in 7th grade. In the morning, the principal came on the PA and said something about planes landing in/on the World Trade Centers. Most of us were pretty confused. I had never even heard of the World Trade Centers at that point. As the day progressed, teachers began clarifying what happened, and it readily became apparent that it was a terrorist attack. However, I didn't appreciate the breadth of what happened until I got home and turned on the news. It was at that point that I realized just what had happened, and just how that I was viewing something that would be written about in the history books for quite some time.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

I was working as a delivery driver, and I had to listen to everything unfolding on the radio, and the true magnitude of the situation didn't sink in until i got home and turned on the television to see the scope of devastation that was done.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

I was listening to it unfold on the radio on my way to school. I was a 31 year old tech student taking the courses that would eventually land me in a TV photog job. We were in class waiting on the instructor when a student came in and said one of the towers collasped. I didn't really believe him. Not that I thought he was lying; it didn't seem possible even though by then I knew two planes had hit the towers. (I can't remember if I knew about the other two planes yet.) The instructor came in and we chatted idly about it, then went through a two hour class.

At lunch, I went to the Radio Shack at the mall and stood with about 20 other people as I got my first sight of what had happened and saw the rubble where the two buildings had been. Every once in a while, I would make eye contact with one of the p[eople stnading nearby and we'd just shake our heads. No one said anything.

Then I found a pay phone and called my wife. She was at home beside herself watching it unfold on TV. I told her I loved her and would be home soon. Cut class the rest of the day and went home and just sat on the couch with her watching the TV for the rest of the day.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
RicHamilton

I was at a client's office and my client got a phone call saying 'a plane had flown into the World Trade Centre'. That was all she had told me. In Halifax there is a World Trade & Convention Centre complex and it is commonly referred to as the World Trade Centre and I thought it was that building and a small Cessna plane. We were just finishing up when she received the call and it was not until the drive back to the office that I realized what had happened. That night as I was laying in bed looking out at the sky I realized how 'quiet' the skies now were. We live under the route to and from Europe destined for the Eastern US and we always are seeing numerous flights at night. Not this night. All we had was a flight of CF18s low over the house which scared the bejesus outta me.

Unfortunately my sister's birthday is Sept 11.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I remember the setting well, One of them Dry air days you wish your out shoot photo's, but was working. Paving a short road in a new subdivision one of the truck divers starts telling us about it. First one then two towers falling and the pentagon to. Damn hard to fathom all most thinking it was half BS but wasn't. Still the only day I can remember, not one Contrail in the sky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 09-16-2009 at 11:57 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
link101

Its really terrible that time was happen the 9/11. We never forget that cos that was also that time we arrive at that place for our family vacation.. Ohhh its like a very bad dream..

Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
crazytiger

link101, can you explain using proper punctuation, capitalization, and more sentences? I can't understand what your trying to say.

I remember it. I didn't know what the Towers were but I do know that it was just hard to fathom.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
crazytiger

These were all taken on that fateful September day.

Image © Jeff Van Cleve
PhotoID: 31472
Photograph © Jeff Van Cleve

Image © nmontena
PhotoID: 13107
Photograph © nmontena

Image © Geoff Elliott
PhotoID: 31693
Photograph © Geoff Elliott

Image © David Parr
PhotoID: 122569
Photograph © David Parr

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote