Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Carl Becker

Question Strange EXIF Problem

Upon the following photo getting accepted, I clicked the link on the site to look at the EXIF header:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 244036
Photograph © Carl Becker

I immediately noticed something wasn't right. The make/model were missing and the text "processed by Helicon Filter" had been added.

This photo, for example, is like all my others, and shows the make/model, w/o the Helicon message:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 243411
Photograph © Carl Becker

I then saved the weird image off of the site and looked at the headers manually. Strangely, I see nothing like what is on the site (see the attached image). Does anyone have a clue what happened, and how to get them to show properly on the site?

~Carl Becker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exif.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	3143  
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
Mustang11

It seems "Helicon Filter" is a photo editing program from windows (news to me cause I am a mac person) but I am assuming you didn't use it to process the image?

If not it is most likely a glitch. Since exif data is imbedded in the image file, you may wish to try using the re-upload feature and see if that replaces the bad data currently listed for the photo.

If not try contacting the admins as they can probably help shed more light on this as they know the system best.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Carl Becker

I did use Helicon, but the other image that I linked to was also processed with Helicon, and the weird message didn't appear on it. I'll try resubmitting the photo and see if that clears it up...
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Ween

What are the variables between the two photos that were accepted at RP? Were they processed the exact same way? I remember the MAC shot had initally been rejected for a selective sharpening issue. Was this technique used on one and not the other?

Also, what version of Helicon is being used? If it's the freeware version, I found this from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Helicon Filter Free is the free version. It has most of the functionality of the commercial versions, except images can not be stacked, files can only be saved in jpeg or bmp, and it can only be used in simple preview mode, resulting in the removal of the Aberrations filter and some advanced controls, such as equalizers, some sliders, and some brushes. In the free version, pictures also cannot be copied and pasted to and from the clipboard. When first installed, Helicon Filter Free functions like Helicon Filter Home for a thirty day period, after which it reverts to the free version.
That last part might be key since I know some freeware software messes with the EXIF (read: Neat Image...completely erases EXIF). Some just ideas...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Carl Becker

Well, simply resubmitting didn't help, so I started over with a new copy, processed as close to the same as I could, resubmitted the new copy, and it worked. Strange...

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 244036
Photograph © Carl Becker
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Mustang11

Strange indeed, but as long as all is correct that is the important part.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote