Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #51
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
For the Non-Rail related pet peeve, BIG ONE FOR ME i also purposly load my car up then go back inside to Pee off the one waiting.
Am I reading this right? What was waiting? Why did you pee on it? Sorry, I think I'm missing what you're saying here...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #52
lock4244

This one really gets me:

People who think we are strange. Just because I get up at 0500hrs to drive an hour or two to photograph a train doesn't make me strange. Nor does the desire to photograph trains.

These same people may find it perfectly normal to get up just as early, drive for an hour to spend the day whacking a little ball with a stick, then chasing after it and repeating until they whack it into a hole in the ground. Then repeating the whole thing eight or 17 more times.

I photograph trains. You whack a ball with a stick then chase after it. And I'm strange?!?!

Once my GF and I were driving quite early in the AM to Niagara Falls for our May long weekend getaway (and a little railfanning). As we drive down the QEW (freeway) we pass two "normal" gentlemen in a Miata with the top down. In May, early in the morning in Canada it is not exactly top down weather until the sun gets a chance to warm things up. These two had no choice. As one drove, the other was holding onto their golfclubs sticking out of the pocket behind the seats and about twice the height of the car...

Yeah, railfans are strange.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #53
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I haven't run into any "idiot railfans" just yet, I haven't really run into any to tell you the truth. Just this one guy, me and my fiance were fanning up near Pittsburgh (For "yuens", Homestead). For those who are not from the area, at Homestead, CSX and NS run side by side for a little bit. The 2 crossing are a mere 50 yards apart for both railroads. Say for instance, a NS train is approaching and the gates are activated, CSX gates are activated too. And you can't really see trains coming from the south. So if you can't see northbounds when the gates are activated, the way to tell is one set of gates on both sides of the crossing will go down, while the other gate, only one gate arm will go down. Confused? haha. ANYWAYS......this guy was pretty nice. Liked to tell me stuff I knew, but I politely let him "teach" me what he knew. That's about it. I have yet to run in to the local fanners up here (brad.......john .....we will cross paths!).

As a railfan, I never really thought of my fanning peeves. I HATE it, when I miss a train. ESPECIALLY this time of year when we don't normally get sun up here in the southwest pa. I just absolutly LOATHE it to no extent. Especially when I'm chasing a train. Yea, where I railfan (Shire oaks, south to Brownsville), all it is, is coal, but to have that shot you wanted in your head, and you miss it in perfect lighting, perfect weather, because of either closed roads or some ding a ling who apparantly doesn't share the same passion as me is in my way. The Mon Line is 98% parallel to route 837/88 from Shire Oaks south to brownsville. It splits from the rails coming out of Charleroi following 88 and right before entering California (CUP). (DO NOT CHASE ONE 837 SOUTH THROUGH DONORA!) Eventually I can catch up to one going south around allenport/california. Another PEEVE of mine....when I take my younger brother with me sometimes, mother doesn't realize that we don't live so close to the tracks anymore, so a typical railfan day for me chasing one or scouting is 2-3 hours. She wants him home in half an hour......uh uh. Ain't gonna happen, especially when coal doesn't run on schedules.

Non railfan peeves........don't get me started
Old 04-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #54
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default Something else in this box for lock4244

TO: lock4244,
Dont get me started on this, when i was fanning Yesterday, someone pulled into Temple Station to make a U-Turn, and he stares at me, i am on the side of my car out the window and starts laughing at me...(This guy looked like a jackass) and he was. My thinking is he most likely thought i was strange...

For videos, i sit on the car door so i can get a better angle from where the car sits.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #55
Joe the Photog

I'm totally OK with folks thinking what we do for a hobby is strange. I was talking with a local postal inspector about my hobby one day and he said, "I don't judge anyone by how strange some may think their hobby is. I collect stamps, for crying out loud." I say the same thing about chasing trains. When I explain to a friend or family member why I do it, I always point out that it gets me outside and even gets me walking some times once I get out of my car. We visit little places we'd never visit otherwise. We meet new and interesting people, sometimes in person, other times on a message board like this.

As for clothing, my mother-in-law once gave me a shirt with the emblems of every fallen flag on the east coast on it. I think she meant well, even though she's typically mean and evil. I said thank you, but that thing never made it into my closet. I don't remember if I tossed it and gave it to Goodwill. Now if I got one, I might ask my wife to make a pillow case for my 8 yr. old son out of it.

As far as railroad clothing, I have owned two L&C Railway Museum shirts. When one wore out, I bought another. I still have the second even though I don't wear it because it has worn out too. (Need to remember to go back and get another one.) The president of the L&C gave me an L&C cap and my wife an L&C coofee mug when he came up on us chasing the first train on their "new" line back in 2001. We still have the mug, but I must have lost the cap in a move since then.

I wouldn't mind having a New Hope & Ivyland cap if they make them, but then I'm losing my hair and baseball caps are becoming part of my every day wardrobe.

Joe
Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #56
ExNavyDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I was wondering when this topic would surface. I have a few pet peeves myself, but I think it is interesting to look at them in the context of the Sociology of Railfanning. We'll look at railfans themselves first.
Interesting anthropological obervations....

I have a few other hobbies, including competitive shooting. All of the above observations apply equally to certain types of, well, gun-owners. I was going to say "shooters", but the only thing most of these types are competent to shoot off is their cake-holes. God forbid they would put their non-existing shooting skills on display in a competitive environment. Just substitute "gun-store commando" for "railfan", and change the design on the waaay-too-small stained t-shirt to "Airborne: Death From Above" and you will get the picture.

It must be a human-nature thing, rather than hobby-specific.

The older I get, the more misanthropic I become. I am convinced that 90% of the people in the world are idiots, most of the rest are a**holes; and they all are sponging off my tax dollars.

Oh, almost forgot :...And get off my lawn!!

Doc H. (the curmudgeon)

Last edited by ExNavyDoc; 04-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #57
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

I wouldn't mind having a New Hope & Ivyland cap if they make them, but then I'm losing my hair and baseball caps are becoming part of my every day wardrobe.

Joe

Hey Joe, i will find out for you this sunday
I am going down there for a train-ride and to try to get atleast 1 picture accepted and i will let you know.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #58
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc

Oh, almost forgot :...And get off my lawn!!

Doc H. (the curmudgeon)

This is good. "Get off my lawn" I yelled at several people before too. I unfortunatly do not live in front of a railroad.(it is like 1/4 mile down the road)
But where i live there USE to be a Marine(boat works) and people would trespass on my houses property to go and look at them. The one wouldnt leave so i let our outdoor dog(a german shep) loss and well, they left. They left and got the cops. The cop of course has to respond due to the law of it, but he laughed at him...

Thanks for the Comment
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #59
willig

Like everyone else, I could give a long list of peeves.

The latest one is going on a business trip from UK to Ghana, only to find that there are no trains operating there because the railway workers are all on strike, but will return to work the day after I return home!

I am writing this from my hotel in Accra whilst waiting for my taxi to the airport.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #60
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig
Like everyone else, I could give a long list of peeves.

The latest one is going on a business trip from UK to Ghana, only to find that there are no trains operating there because the railway workers are all on strike, but will return to work the day after I return home!

I am writing this from my hotel in Accra whilst waiting for my taxi to the airport.
That KINDA happened to me... I wanted to ride the Tioga Railroad in Welsboro Pa. I go on vacation there. And i looked it up, i called and i even emailed them to make sure it was open... I get there and the what i think to be the one who owns it told me that they closed early this year.

I asked when was this decided. And he answered almost 2 months ago...

WHY COULDNT THEY TELL ME THIS??? I MEAN I WAS CALLING WITH IN THE PAST MONTH OF THIS. even the site said they were running this day. I was fumming because i really wanted to ride it again.(since i am moving)

Not like the Strike, mine is the workers were actually done. Yours was the workers were fed-up.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #61
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Usually I railfan alone also. The one time I "HAD" to take my cousin with me, which i was not thrilled about and i asked before we got there if he was hungry, and he said no. We get there, NO MORE THEN 20 minutes later and He's hungry. So I got in the car sped off asked him if he liked McDonalds, he said no and i said good, pulled into the Local Mcdonalds and told him eat or dont eat. (sorry for telling that, i know its kinda boring and rude of me but, he should of said he was atleast a little hungry before we got there)
That's not rude, it's tough love...and funny. When I was a camp counselor, we did the same thing to the toddlers: "Eat it, or don't eat, those are your choices."

As for my pet peeves, it's people who can talk about nothing except trains. Now, I don't mind talking trains (namely relevant trains), or debating history, but usually, at some point, we can have a conversation that doesn't involve trains. Back up at my home model railroad club, there's one kid where we (or at least I) almost try to avoid mentioning anything about trains for fear of him starting a new train conversation topic about some line somewhere (nowhere near relevant) that they're doing something to.

And in this case, relevant is defined as somehow relating to the conversation topic, a line in the town we're in, or the railroad we're fanning.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #62
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
As for my pet peeves, it's people who can talk about nothing except trains. Now, I don't mind talking trains
Now that i agree with. Of course being on sites like this one alot, i am a fan, but i like to talk about other stuff also. i mean i want to be a chef(hopefully for a train!!) and i want to talk about food and stuff like that every now and then.

Thank you for the comment.
What do you mean "tough love?" its not a break up or anything?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #63
Freericks
Met Fan

Continuing on the idea of the railroad not running when you are there - I've done this twice recently myself - both times my fault for not fully checking.

Rented a room at the DL&W station in Scranton for a veiw of steam train going by our window each day - managed to schedule this trip for two days that the train wasn't running.

Rented a room in Santa Cruz in view of the street running line to Davenport and made sure that the train ran on the Tuesday and Wednesday I was there, but didn't find out how far it went. Turned out it only reached Santa Cruz on Fridays.

Okay - I'll add one more pet peeve. Just arriving at your spot only to see a train going through (with no possible way for you to shoot it).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #64
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Rented a room at the DL&W station in Scranton for a veiw of steam train going by our window each day - managed to schedule this trip for two days that the train wasn't running.
Sorry - and I feel your pain, really - but this is just hilarious!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #65
Freericks
Met Fan

Frankly, it's not that I make mistakes that bothers me... it's that I make them again that freaks me out.

But this is the reason I'm picking your brain and others so much on this DC trip. Trying not to do it again.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #66
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Okay - I'll add one more pet peeve. Just arriving at your spot only to see a train going through (with no possible way for you to shoot it).
Now that one i have done many times.

Remember "wierd train" post. My old name. Thats why i really didnt know what it was.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #67
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Thank you for the comment.
What do you mean "tough love?" its not a break up or anything?
It's along the lines of "tough luck," but it applies to relatives (in your case) or just in general, doing it for their own good (making them not a picky eater). I may have misused the phrase, not sure though.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #68
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs up comfort settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Ahhh, a lesson I'm sure we've all learned at one point in our lives...think ahead and reset to your 'comfort settings'. For me the camera is always put away set to 1/200, f/6.3, ISO 200 (since its cloudy more often than sunny). If I'm out and haven't taken a test shot and a train is barreling towards me I know where I'm set to and can scroll to where I know it will be "close enough". If all else fails I know my TV setting is always at 1/30 so I can settle for a pan.
Great Procedure!
I always set the camera before I leave the house for this reason.
But I like very much the "1/200, f/6.3, ISO 200 (since its cloudy more often than sunny)" idea.
Also now that we have these super-duper digital cameras, we CAN also do the Tv @ 1/30.
Guess what I'm doing next time?

Furiously writing notes....

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 04-06-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: correcting quote
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #69
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Thanks

I use a point and shoot. I know its nothing great, but for someone who is JUST starting, like me, and does not know if this is something i will stick with after i have a well paying job, i dont want anything expensive. If i love it, once i am actually working, i will buy a really good one.

Anyway, the settings stay the same. And the graphics for videos are pretty good. See my youtube videos(www.youtube.com/railroadlover) The only thing is the first 3 were with a different camera i had. It broke with in 3 weeks after i got it. I filmed with in the first 3 hours i got it and stopped working! Returned it got the one i have now and turned out great.

Thanks For the Comments Everyone.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #70
wirailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
- Courtesy to your fellow railfans is a must. Whoever gets to a location first has first dibs on where to shoot from. Any photographers that arrive after that must stay out of the way of the first photographer's shot. This goes both ways. If you were there first, feel free to cuss out anyone that gets in your shot.
My biggest pet peeve! And a related one that originated due to sights like RP.Net:

1. If you see someone at a location and you know they post to sights like RP.Net, don't stand next to the person and take the exact same shot and then run home and post the shot to RP.Net. My local group of railfans have a rule: The first to the location gets to post the photo on the internet.

2. Being called a Foamer or Railnut by railroaders. I am a railroad photographer. I don't live and breath railroading. I could care less what the heritage is of every locomotive I see. I don't pretend to know how to run a railroad or do a railroader's job better than they do.

3. Foamers who think they know everything about railroading. And they can't stand NOT telling you how much they know whether they were asked or not.

4. Photographer's who think their techniques and compositions are better than everybody else. You absolutely HAVE to do things their way or you're crazy. And you can bet there will be a few reading this post! You know who you are!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #71
Ween

Quote:
4. Photographer's who think their techniques and compositions are better than everybody else. You absolutely HAVE to do things their way or you're crazy. And you can bet there will be a few reading this post! You know who you are!
But, Thomas, if they're really, really, really, really passionate about it, then it justifies their right to preach. At least that's what I've seen lately, but maybe it's a Dakota's type thing...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #72
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirailfan
1. If you see someone at a location and you know they post to sights like RP.Net, don't stand next to the person and take the exact same shot and then run home and post the shot to RP.Net. My local group of railfans have a rule: The first to the location gets to post the photo on the internet.
I think I broke this rule once... with one of my personal favorite contributors to this site (he's a guy who gets lots of sceener choices and PCAs). Didn't think about it until after I did it. Won't do that again for sure.

He didn't call me on it though, so I'm hoping it wasn't a shot he planned on posting too.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #73
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default They Have them

Quote:

Joe

Hey Joe, i will find out for you this sunday
I am going down there for a train-ride and to try to get atleast 1 picture accepted and i will let you know.
Well, Good News And Bad News. The Good news is New Hope RR has Caps. The Bad News is that they are 15.00 and thats the cheapest.(unless you want a guligan's island hat)