Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #26
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I would never use "June" "sun" and "ideal" in the same sentence...
What's this crazy talk?? Morning and evening sun is VERY ideal in June!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 247773
Photograph © Jim Thias


Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 288997
Photograph © Jim Thias
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #27
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What's this crazy talk?? Morning and evening sun is VERY ideal in June!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 247773
Photograph © Jim Thias


Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 288997
Photograph © Jim Thias
Fair enough, but if you're far from home it's a lot of time to kill during the deadly high sun hours.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #28
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Fair enough, but if you're far from home it's a lot of time to kill during the deadly high sun hours.
True, but the trade off is that sunny mornings and evenings in the summer open up opportunities for shots that won't work the rest of the year.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #29
Greg P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default

It does suck, esp since hotels require you to check out at 11-12am and you have about 5 hours to kill before the sun gets good again.

Public libraries are a nice place to go to kill the time.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:41 AM   #30
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
It does suck, esp since hotels require you to check out at 11-12am and you have about 5 hours to kill before the sun gets good again.

Public libraries are a nice place to go to kill the time.
Or bridges, or hills and mountain ranges. Just make sure you have a CP filter on your lens and you can shoot all day during the summer (with elevation).
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #31
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Or bridges, or hills and mountain ranges. Just make sure you have a CP filter on your lens and you can shoot all day during the summer (with elevation).
CP filter, check. Elevation will remember that!
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #32
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,081
Default

One of the challenges of photography is to get good pix in whatever light you have. It is pretty easy to get good pix in the golden hours, but the really good photographers know how to get great pix in high sun, rain, fog, whatever. It is part of the game. You pretty much start the whole process by looking at the light. I cannot speak from experience because I'm not very good at it, but I have seen others more experienced or just more creative than me get great results under almost any conditions.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #33
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
One of the challenges of photography is to get good pix in whatever light you have. It is pretty easy to get good pix in the golden hours, but the really good photographers know how to get great pix in high sun, rain, fog, whatever. It is part of the game. You pretty much start the whole process by looking at the light. I cannot speak from experience because I'm not very good at it, but I have seen others more experienced or just more creative than me get great results under almost any conditions.
With just 2 years of serious photography under my belt, I consider myself very inexperienced. This post alone has been very educational and I thankful for all the tips and suggestions. I'd like to continue this post and hear what or how to handle the rain and foggy shots as Mr West has brought up. I always take the camera everywhere I go but I am reluctant to get it out on those rainy and or foggy days for simply having the lack of knowledge or subject (trains in this case) to shoot.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #34
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,081
Default

We could start here:

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47303675/e3c4f0397

I happen to be a big fan of Matthews, and have been known to follow him around on photo shoots. But he is WAY more create than I am. But occasionally I see an image like the stuff that he takes and I will go out and try to imitate it. Nothing wrong with imitation, and once you do a successful imitation you have the knowledge to do something similar but different.

I am no expert, but I think the secret is to start with the light and then try to find what is interesting in the scene that the light gives you. I remember one time out on the Nevada Northern and I was unhappy with the lighting until a more experienced photog said look at the sky, so I did a silhouette that turned out okay. But it does often require looking for something other than the traditional railfan 3/4 front view of a train. The good news is the wide dynamic range of digital is much more forgiving than film.

But in the end you need to create images that YOU like.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here

Last edited by John West; 12-07-2016 at 07:04 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #35
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
We could start here:
......But in the end you need to create images that YOU like.
Well put, images "You" like, is in the end, all the matters as "You" are the artist. When I first tried posting on RP, I found myself being offended because "It" was my work. Then I realized that RP was not my art gallery but someone else's and they have their own tastes/preferences an not everyone is going to like "My" work. Thanks for the link as it gives yet another perspective and examples of the Rain and fog, plus other situations to to study and emulate.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #36
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Then I realized that RP was not my art gallery but someone else's and they have their own tastes/preferences an not everyone is going to like "My" work.
Best understanding of RP I've seen yet.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #37
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Best understanding of RP I've seen yet.
Thank you Mr. Thias for the comment and everyone else for your tips and suggestions. Here is the new, improved and RP accepted angle (along with the pickup).

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/598698/
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #38
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 386
Default

[photoid=XXXXXX] where you put the photo number lets it show up here.

Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 598698
Photograph © Grew up on the CW
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #39
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Ok education me, I must be missing where I enter this info to add the picture rather than the link.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #40
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Ok education me, I must be missing where I enter this info to add the picture rather than the link.
When you make a post just type: [photoid=XXXXXX] and replace the XXXXXX with your photo number. When you post the reply, it will show up as the embedded picture.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #41
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
When you make a post just type: [photoid=XXXXXX] and replace the XXXXXX with your photo number. When you post the reply, it will show up as the embedded picture.
Ok thanks
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Greg P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Or bridges, or hills and mountain ranges. Just make sure you have a CP filter on your lens and you can shoot all day during the summer (with elevation).
I may remember this in Israel next May.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #43
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 386
Default

Going to tack on to this thread with a backlit nose rejection where the nose is not even visible. Any thoughts on corrections I can make?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...64&key=2250454
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #44
ATSF666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 127
Default

Strangest back light I've ever seen!
__________________
ATSF666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #45
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Going to tack on to this thread with a backlit nose rejection where the nose is not even visible. Any thoughts on corrections I can make?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...64&key=2250454
Is that a grab shot from the seat of your car while parked on the shoulder? The composition is quite awkward and unappealing. I'm surprised they didn't ding you for that. Sorry, I really don't think this one has any hope. There is quite an imbalance with the sky and ground.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #46
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Is that a grab shot from the seat of your car while parked on the shoulder? The composition is quite awkward and unappealing. I'm surprised they didn't ding you for that. Sorry, I really don't think this one has any hope. There is quite an imbalance with the sky and ground.
No, but because of the direction the train was traveling and the light at the time, I was going for a side shot. Oh well, I like it so I don't really care.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.