Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Slopes09
Senior Member
 
Slopes09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Here.
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Amtrak Heritage Power

I've known about this since the summer, but I've had to hold back, because I like my job and all (Ok, so there was really no threat to my job, but professionalism counts). BUT it's official now! Amtrak is bringing back an F40PH for it's Heritage fleet.

Amtrak Ink December 2010/January 2011

Here are some crappy pics of the engines back over the summer. I was originally told three units, but they apparently downgraded to 1. Regardless, pretty neat stuff!

http://flic.kr/p/88cPJv
http://flic.kr/p/88cPJv
http://flic.kr/p/88cPAz
http://flic.kr/p/88cPvP
__________________
-Mike W.
Railroad Civil Engineer

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

I think amtrak should spend more time and money on keeping it's trains on time, keeping them running, keeping the heat/AC working, keeping them clean and improving some of the sorry ass customer service they have onboard...

then, after all that is fixed, they can bring back an f40
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Well, it IS for promotional purposes. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Aside from that, I don't know what's so special about an F40PH. I see them all the time (although gutted).

Have some real balls, Amtrak...paint up an E or F unit for this anniversary.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

I can't wait to see the repaints and I hope the visit the Crescent often.
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I think amtrak should spend more time and money on keeping it's trains on time
Actually, most of that isn't on Amtrak. Remember this?

Image © Craig Walker
PhotoID: 351073
Photograph © Craig Walker


Now, the other stuff you have a point on. Maybe if you can get Congress to pony up the money for some of that stuff? A coat of paint is cheap by comparison.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

The incoming Congress has just propsed a total and complete elmination of all Amtrak subsidies. Amtrak may not make it to its 40th.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
The incoming Congress has just propsed a total and complete elmination of all Amtrak subsidies. Amtrak may not make it to its 40th.
True,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

but, not to be nonchalant about this, but Amtrak is always under attack, it is a right wing icon of sorts, a perennial target (sometimes attached successfully). It is more accurate to say "165 incoming House Republicans" than "incoming Congress" as this isn't even a House committee report. The latest round of the interminable budget war is just beginning, and Amtrak is a common refrain. The Senate and President have yet to speak, not to mention all representatives.

"Icon" is not the right word, but I am at a loss at the moment; there is a word that might serve as a stand-in for "right wing symbol of leftist excess" or some such.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 01-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well, it IS for promotional purposes. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Aside from that, I don't know what's so special about an F40PH. I see them all the time (although gutted).

Have some real balls, Amtrak...paint up an E or F unit for this anniversary.
Ya totally agree. Obviously, I'm not gonna complain about any effort any railroad does for the railfans... With that being said if you are gonna make such a big about this for months now, one F40 which was just retired a few years ago isn't very impressive.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

But to most people an F40 say more "Amtrak" than an E or F unit does.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
But to most people an F40 say more "Amtrak" than an E or F unit does.
By most people, do you refer to yourself, your friends, and other folk your age?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
By most people, do you refer to yourself, your friends, and other folk your age?
Charles, I'm a lot closer to your age, and to me the F40 is the quintessential Amtrak engine. Or that along with the Genesis.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Charles, I'm a lot closer to your age, and to me the F40 is the quintessential Amtrak engine. Or that along with the Genesis.
Janusz... why do you assume there was anything more to my question than the question itself?

Not every inquiry has to have a hidden point.

Charles

As an aside - when you say Amtrak, the first thing I see in my mind is an SDP40F.

[edit] - I'd also note, that an F7, an E8, an E9, an F40PH, a GP40TC, a P30CH, a GG1, an E60CP, an E60CH, an AEM7, an AMD103 (later P40DC), a Dash 8-32BWH, a P42DC, a P32AC-DM, an FL9, a RS3, a GP7, an SW10, a CF7, an HHP8, an Acela, a Metroliner, an F59PHI, an UA Turbo Train, a French Turboliner, a Rohr Turboliner, and an RDC (inlcuding the Roger Williams cab) would, each and everyone one of them, be a legitimate subject for an Amtrak heritige project to me - as well as perfectly saying "Amtrak." I don't think there is a wrong answer here... I was, and am curious, when Max says it is the quitessential engine to him, is he saying among his age group and friends.

Last edited by Freericks; 01-21-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
"Icon" is not the right word, but I am at a loss at the moment; there is a word that might serve as a stand-in for "right wing symbol of leftist excess" or some such.

Deadweight?

Pereennial target?

Pork barrel?

Government giveaway?

Excess outlays?

Government waste?

Government excess?

Low hanging fruit?

Easy target?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Janusz... why do you assume there was anything more to my question than the question itself?

Not every inquiry has to have a hidden point.

Charles

As an aside - when you say Amtrak, the first thing I see in my mind is an SDP40F.

[edit] - I'd also note, that an F7, an E8, an E9, an F40PH, a GP40TC, a P30CH, a GG1, an E60CP, an E60CH, an AEM7, an AMD103 (later P40DC), a Dash 8-32BWH, a P42DC, a P32AC-DM, an FL9, a RS3, a GP7, an SW10, a CF7, an HHP8, an Acela, a Metroliner, an F59PHI, an UA Turbo Train, a French Turboliner, a Rohr Turboliner, and an RDC (inlcuding the Roger Williams cab) would, each and everyone one of them, be a legitimate subject for an Amtrak heritige project to me - as well as perfectly saying "Amtrak." I don't think there is a wrong answer here... I was, and am curious, when Max says it is the quitessential engine to him, is he saying among his age group and friends.
Ok, seemed an odd question to drop in to a thread at random, I don't normally jump into a conversation and ask people's ages, so I assumed it had some motivation, some connection to the previous post. And given your last sentence above, I don't think I was out of place to post what I did, I think that it is clear there was more to your question than the question itself, as you have now clarified.

As for your list, most thorough (I guess, don't really know!) and interesting, but I guess I disagree completely. A GP7 says "Amtrak"????

As far as what units say "Amtrak," one must differentiate between what one associates with Amtrak and what is best representative of Amtrak. (And for now, let's put aside the electrics.) Sure, when you think SDP40F you think Amtrak. But when you think Amtrak power you do not, I would say, in general first think of the SDP40F. For diesels I would say, and did say!, F40 and Genesis.

When I think Fs I think of railroads across the country, and Amtrak would be near the bottom of the list. F to me means the start of dieselization, not Amtrak. And when I think Amtrak I don't think F.

When I think Es I think class one RR pre-Amtrak, yes Amtrak used some but to me they do not represent Amtrak in any way.

Hmm, just noticed, "G40TC"!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Pereennial target?
Perennial target, but in a nirvana sort of way. In the way that, were Amtrak to be eliminated, the world would be a beautiful place. Some sort of a totem, or perhaps an anti-totem.

I can understand why, say, NPB might set off a particular group of people. That seems to have direct relevance to the culture wars. But Amtrak? I can understand people opposing public provision of rail transportation, I might disagree (might agree in some situations), but I can understand the viewpoint.

What I can't understand is the almost visceral reaction some have to the thought of federal spending on Amtrak.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Sure, when you think SDP40F you think Amtrak. But when you think Amtrak power you do not, I would say, in general first think of the SDP40F.
I've trimmed your post down to the problem portion of it for me...

You can't know what I think... you can only know what you think.

(Which even goes back to the question to Max - when he says it is this versus that to everyone, is he representing a certain demographic, or is he saying this is true of everyone period - clearly you support the latter.)

And yes... one image of Amtrak that I see is those orange GP7s on the NEC, scurrying about with work trains... suddenly shocking the hell out of me at Metropark when the chant of a 567 suddenly breaks through the air and the distant hum of the Garden State Parkway.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Perennial target, but in a nirvana sort of way. In the way that, were Amtrak to be eliminated, the world would be a beautiful place. Some sort of a totem, or perhaps an anti-totem.

I can understand why, say, NPB might set off a particular group of people. That seems to have direct relevance to the culture wars. But Amtrak? I can understand people opposing public provision of rail transportation, I might disagree (might agree in some situations), but I can understand the viewpoint.

What I can't understand is the almost visceral reaction some have to the thought of federal spending on Amtrak.
Well, if you break it down to a per person cost...

Okay, I won't go there.

Honestly though, I believe it simply has to do with whether one believes that Amtrak is a vital service that should be provided. Everyone agrees that police and fire and roads are vital... as we get into other items, you start to get disagreement.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I've trimmed your post down to the problem portion of it for me...

You can't know what I think... you can only know what you think.

(Which even goes back to the question to Max - when he says it is this versus that to everyone, is he representing a certain demographic, or is he saying this is true of everyone period - clearly you support the latter.)

And yes... one image of Amtrak that I see is those orange GP7s on the NEC, scurrying about with work trains... suddenly shocking the hell out of me at Metropark when the chant of a 567 suddenly breaks through the air and the distant hum of the Garden State Parkway.
Well, fine. I think in this case you are being too literal in word interpretation in common usage in informal web forum posting. I would say that what Max wrote is his prediction of the response of people, that most would think of the F40. I suppose it makes sense to inquire if Max was really thinking of, say, all railfans of any age.

As for my sentence, I in no way think that I know what you think and I see now that my sentence should read

Quote:
But when one thinks of Amtrak power one does not, I would say, in general first think of the SDP40F.
I do think you may have had too averse a reaction to my original sentence, but for the record the one above now holds. But I am too lazy to edit my previous post. (If I did so, no one would know what this one is about!)
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I do think you may have had too averse a reaction to my original sentence, but for the record the one above now holds. But I am too lazy to edit my previous post. (If I did so, no one would know what this one is about!)
It's okay, I have some calamine lotion. The rash is already starting to fade.

As to the F40 being the quintessential Amtrak locomotive or not... I think it may have been Jerry Seinfeld who said something about all men reaching a certain age and staying there... if turtle necks were in when you hit this age, you wear turtles necks for the rest of your life... if you lived in Pittsburgh when you were this age, you are a Steeler fan for life... These things all become the quintessential whatever they are to us.

Another person once told me that many people spend their entire lives listening to the same music that they were listening to when they were in college. And personally, I still like Supertramp, Squeeze and Split Enz... and crank them all.

Or, look at it this way...

Is Babe Ruth the quintessential Yankee?

Or is Joe Dimagio?

Or is Mickey Mantle?

Or is Reggie Jackson?

Or is Don Mattingly?

Or is Dereck Jeter?

For me, it's probably Mantle or Jackson... or maybe it's Ron Blomberg... I am personally weird that way... think of him as an Amtrak GP7.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #20
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
if you lived in Pittsburgh when you were this age, you are a Steeler fan for life...
I did, and I am.

A nice article on Pittsburgh football culture.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...ory?id=6041096


Quote:
Is Babe Ruth the quintessential Yankee?

or maybe it's Ron Blomberg... I am personally weird that way... think of him as an Amtrak GP7.
Noted. At times I am glad you are way over there on the other coast.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
At times I am glad you are way over there on the other coast.
One day, Atlas picked the United States up like a rug, with Maine in his right hand and Florida in his left hand... and he shook it really hard. Everything that was loose rolled into California.

J.E.T.S. Jets, Jets, Jets (I'm from NJ).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
But to most people an F40 say more "Amtrak" than an E or F unit does.
Not to me. I grew up in the 70s with one of these in my model train collection:



I don't think I ever saw an F40 until a movie that came out in the mid-80s that featured a runaway Amtrak locomotive.

edit: holy crap, they want $10,000 for that thing: http://www.collectibles-articles.com...703649081.html
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-21-2011 at 10:57 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Of course, who can forget the graceful Amtrak PA1s?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa1.jpg (36.9 KB, 2083 views)

Last edited by Freericks; 01-21-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #24
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

I do very much like the phase I scheme, my favorite of the amtraks. I am a fan of the pointless arrow.

And you have demonstrated to me that it matters not what the engine is, as long as it memorializes the greatness that is Amtrak. Amtrak PA-1s and GP40TCs forever! I now love them so. They move me, I am touched, I am made whole.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #25
IHapsias
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I did, and I am.

A nice article on Pittsburgh football culture.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...ory?id=6041096
There must be something wrong with me.. I'm not a Steelers fan.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.