Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #51
coborn35

Edited. Condensed below.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 11-30-2010 at 04:17 AM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #52
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671
How is posting a reject thumbnail any different than the humiliation one may receive by making his/her rejections public? He/she is setting themselves up by posting that type of material anyway, as a quick glance at what is accepted would reveal that there photos do not compare to the accepted ones.
I think Max was trying to show that Chris called out only one photo out of who knows how many and that it was posted not for encouragement for Chris Taylor but rather for a quick laugh. It is different than opening up all of the rejections for the viewers because he called out only one photo, so it might seem unfair for the photographer who might not know and understand what an acceptable RP photo is.

Daniel, drop the rejected photo. I see the bad cropping, horizon unlevel, and the biggest killer, poor image quality.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #53
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Oh come on. It was just a fun little post to show some of what we get to deal with that you don't normally get to see. And, you know what, sometimes people need to be called out publicly. It happens to us every day on here.

BTW, Chase and I are friends; he knows what my "motives" were.
Fair enough I was just thinking aloud I guess. I just think some people could get discouraged easily, you know? I do understand all the crap you guys see though, believe me. I know you both are very busy, but what about setting up a suggestion thread where everyone can make suggestions, to be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe you guys can review them and possibly make changes if you feel necessary. Feedback/criticism never hurt right?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 11-30-2010 at 04:18 AM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #54
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The issue of screener comments has been long debated, this post offers nothing more. I have no insight regarding the cropping, but I have one other word to offer:

O V E R S H A R P E N E D

Edit: how is it possible that Chris sees soft and I see oversharpened? Well, sharpening can't hide flaws in the original. It can be the case that one has a soft original, sharpens it up out of desperation, and ends up with oversharpening halos all over the place but not the desired crispness.
I think you are correct about it being oversharpened. Would benefit from a complete re-edit.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #55
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Edit: how is it possible that Chris sees soft and I see oversharpened? Well, sharpening can't hide flaws in the original. It can be the case that one has a soft original, sharpens it up out of desperation, and ends up with oversharpening halos all over the place but not the desired crispness.
You're right, I guess the proper term would have been blurry. To me, the shot appears blurry beyond repair, meaning that no amount of USM is going to be able to fix it.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #56
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

[quote=Chris Kilroy;125718]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post

I don't see the cropping issue (didn't screen it originally), but it's unlevel (leaning to the right) and REALLY soft.
THANK-YOU! I really appreciate it. I'll work on it. I think this shot is suffering from PIQ, but not sure. Thanks for the help.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #57
troy12n
Banned

It's definetly unlevel
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #58
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink Look on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
New website... RailRejects.com
Already done.

There are a few Flickr groups dedicated to this subject.

One of them is here.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/29741875@N00/?added=2

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #59
crazytiger

Chris, I realize that you have a lot more screeners over there, but I looked on the JP.net forums and I was really envious seeing a thread that was where people brought their messed up photos and actual screeners responded. I would really love that.

P.S.: Could you possibly tell me what makes my shot worthy of a PEQ?

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote