Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #26
JRMDC

I think they are bringing new members at 2, but existing non-Elite members are not being scaled back unless they are deemed unworthy. But what do I know, the issue of RP upload limits is one of the deepest black holes around.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #27
DWHonan

Ah, my bad; I didn't realize that had become a policy change.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #28
Indecline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Hm, really? Because I just checked my Add Photos page and:

I am not an Elite member, and using Firefox + Adblock Plus eliminates all ads from the site, permitting very fast page loading.

Dan, it sounds like you may have inadvertently tripped the excessive rejections red flag?
Nope, that what I started with. I went through a lot of rejections when I got the new computer and monitor and I get hit with some bad cropping at times when I don't feel like conforming to gold RPnet standard. Most get on when appealed. Over all I'm guessing maybe 25% are rejected the first go around. Some I don't appeal as I know I am pushing it to begin with.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #29
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think they are bringing new members at 2, but existing non-Elite members are not being scaled back unless they are deemed unworthy. But what do I know, the issue of RP upload limits is one of the deepest black holes around.
Agreed. It seems the screeners have set a new standard of only allowing 2 uploads a day for new members, which makes sense until you prove yourself, like Dan has done.

Although, I do believe that if everyone had their upload limit knocked down to two, it wouldn't affect the site that much. Heck, look at one of the names Peter mentioned, Janusz. He uploaded 3 photos in all of May, and before those three were a couple in January. A two upload a day limit wouldn't hurt him at all.

- Chris
Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Agreed. It seems the screeners have set a new standard of only allowing 2 uploads a day for new members, which makes sense until you prove yourself, like Dan has done.
If Dan started off at two and then had his limit raised, then to my recollection his example is the first that I have heard of.

Quote:
Although, I do believe that if everyone had their upload limit knocked down to two, it wouldn't affect the site that much. Heck, look at one of the names Peter mentioned, Janusz. He uploaded 3 photos in all of May, and before those three were a couple in January. A two upload a day limit wouldn't hurt him at all.
BUT IT WOULD KILL ME! IT WOULD ASSAULT MY SENSE OF SELF WORTH! I STILL REMEMBER THAT FINE DAY LAST NOVEMBER WHEN I UPLOADED THREE. IF I CAN'T LOOK FORWARD TO DOING THAT AGAIN SOME DAY I JUST WILL LOSE ALL OF MY EQUILIBRIUM.

Not that I ever go unstable.

J, who was hoping to go crazy and upload two this month but is facing reality and is probably doing zero, due to poor quality.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #31
Indecline

I'm still at 2. It's actually good - otherwise I might be tempted to flood the site with 40 years worth of crap all at once!
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
bigbassloyd

I'd be willing to sell some of my slots! I use about 2 a week.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #33
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
BUT IT WOULD KILL ME! IT WOULD ASSAULT MY SENSE OF SELF WORTH! I STILL REMEMBER THAT FINE DAY LAST NOVEMBER WHEN I UPLOADED THREE. IF I CAN'T LOOK FORWARD TO DOING THAT AGAIN SOME DAY I JUST WILL LOSE ALL OF MY EQUILIBRIUM.
Although J's "rant" was clearly tongue-in-cheek, the whole upload limit concept does indeed gnaw not only at those who are affected, but also at those of us who still have 10. It has little to do with practicality and everything to do with personal pride. As has been pointed out, many of us don't ever come close to using them. We have never bombed the screening queue with 10 shots day after day and we haven't angrily or frivolously appealed every last rejection. Unfortunately, the mysterious nature of the process leaves even the most careful among us with the constant concern that our next losing streak might somehow land us in the same "jail" with those who may indeed have been reckless and inconsiderate.

I guess I normally shake off rejections pretty quickly. They can be somewhat frustrating if I've spent a lot of time on a given image, but my general view is that they either represent a single-instance admonition that I can do better, or a legitimate disagreement about the merits of that image. Unfortunately, I can't find any such constructive way to view the upload limit thing. It basically says: "you've ticked us off"....and for those of us who have absolutely no desire to tick anyone off, we'd really really like to have some kind of indication if we're even getting close to that point.

Just my $.02.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #34
crazytiger

Could we PLEASE have a statement from Chris K. on the issue!?!?!?!?

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote