Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #51
TheOldMan

Thanks for the posts, Joe & Shortlines USA.

There was no locomotive with the train in Loris.

I haven't been on highway 905 in awhile, but there was a red locomotive at the depot there for a good while, but I did not see it, or any locomotives in the Sun-News photos.

Strangely, in one of those Sun-News photos, a boxcar, and some other rolling stock that was normally on the house track, was backed up onto the Kingston Lake trestle.

I was in Mullins, SC recently, and before the crossing with CSX, there was a black 100 ton locomotive, although I did not notice the number on it.

I did see some net photos of a black 100 ton locomotive pushing a car across the drawbridge into Myrtle Beach, & onto the defective Canal Street trestle, probably early 2011, & the number on that one is 4002.

So, unless CS has more than one black 100 ton locomotive, I'd think the one in Mullins(the only one there) was #4002.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 12-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #52
TheOldMan

One CSRR locomotive question I have, is the 50 ton Baltimore & Annapolis unit that stayed on the house track of the depot/tobacco museum, white with green lettering, a number of years back.

I know that CSRR has a Net list of all their locomotives, but have never studied it enough to see if that one is included.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #53
Joe the Photog

Should be an EMD SW9. Originally built as the Chesapeake & Ohio #5092 in 1953, to Baltimore & Annapolis #87, still painted and lettered for B&A. Like a lot of stuff on their web site, they "borrowed" that from a now defunct web site and someone who spent a good deal of time putting it together -- me.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #54
TheOldMan

Joe, thanks for the post!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #55
TheOldMan

Default Meeting Cancelled

The Interstate Railroad Committee meeting scheduled for yesterday at 4:15 PM in Loris, SC was cancelled and has not yet been rescheduled.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #56
Joe the Photog

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...ilroad-to.html

Finally an update in the Myrtle Beach Sun News. Local leaders don't want the Pippns involved with the future of the railroad
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #57
TheOldMan

Thanks for posting the link, Joe. That's a very long article which will take me a bit of time to read.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
Joe the Photog

There is a misguided Letter to the Editor about the Carolina Southern from yesterdays Myrtle Beach Sun News. The gist seems to be since railroads are more for the history books than anything now days, the county should not try to salvage the railroad. There's a lot of talk about the Conway depot as if the writer does not understand that the two issues are not the same.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...stle-blow.html

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 01-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #59
TheOldMan

Default New Link

Here is a link to a newspaper story, which raises some interesting questions, such as how long a Surface Transportation Board action would take.

My concern is that with the railroad closed now close to two years that if it does eventually reopen, their might not be any businesses that would still want to use it.

http://grandstranddaily.com/repairin...hern-railroad/

Such a situation would be similar to that of the Pine Island drawbridge taking 9 years to be repaired, and almost 13 years before the railroad east of the Waterway being reopened, and another 3 years before a new freight shipper, using a 2 car siding to move into a former lumber company that had moved west of the waterway during the time the drawbridge was closed.

Prior to the 1988 bridge closing the largest freight shippers in downtown Myrtle Beach were the beer and wine distributors, using 300 or more cars a year.

One of those shippers moved closer to Conway, and so far has not used the railroad again. And, the other beer and wine shipper had found the trains too slow to resuming using the railroad.

One lumber company with a 2 car siding is enough for the railroad to have been open and used for freight traffic from 2004-2012, but this experience shows just how difficult it is for a railroad to attract and keep freight shippers.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #60
TheOldMan

Next meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committee is April 17th, at 5 PM, in Loris, South Carolina.

Barring any unforseen hindrances, I am planning to attend the meetinig.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #61
ShortlinesUSA

Many thanks for continuing to keep up with this topic!

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #62
TheOldMan

Yesterday, as usual, the Interstate Railroad Committee went into Executive Session, after which I left Loris, SC.

Took some not ready for prime time low rez, small file size photos of the train in Loris, I had previously mentioned. Closeups of individual cars will look better, although the clouds in the sky look good.

At first thought some of the boxcars were the same ones I had gotten on Super 8 vid tape, probably in late 2005, after the CSRR locomotives had put a train onto the CSX runaround track, but after seeing the Loris train up close, don't think so.

I'd think the Loris train is a storage train. Since my job is inventories, my wildest guesses usually turn out very accurate when I do an actual count.

First guess was 20 boxcars and one hopper car, but might revise it down by a few cars.

First photo is looking north, going out of Loris, and second photo is looking south, back toward Loris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loris 01.jpg (79.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Loris 02.jpg (80.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by TheOldMan; 04-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #63
ShortlinesUSA

Nothing like a public meeting that turns private! However, that could also mean something's in the works, and the parties do not wish to disclose proprietary information. Maybe we'll get some new news sometime soon.

Those cars look to be in pretty decent shape. Hopefully they'll get a chance to earn revenue again.

Thanks for the report and pictures!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #64
TheOldMan

[quote=TheOldMan;164368...

...My concern is that with the railroad closed now close to two years that if it does eventually reopen, their might not be any businesses that would still want to use it.

Prior to the 1988 bridge closing the largest freight shippers in downtown Myrtle Beach were the beer and wine distributors, using 300 or more cars a year...

[/QUOTE]

To be a bit more precise about beer and wine shipments into Myrtle Beach, these figures were given on Page 35 of "Myrtle Beach Short Line Feasibility Study," by Horhorst Marine, Inc. of Rumson New Jersey, January 3, 1984:

Better Brands:
1982-196 cars
1983-180 cars

Stevens Corp(later Chrit Yahnis Coastal):

1982 --
1983-50
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #65
TheOldMan

Default At the junction in Mullins, SC, ca 2005

These stills are from a super 8 video I took in Mullins, SC, at the grade crossing of US 76, a short distance before the crossing of CSX & Carolina Southern, and the track connecting the 2 railroads.

First photo shows Carolina Southern lead locomotive going thru the crossing, followed in the second photo by locomotive with Mid Atlantic logo.

Third photo is of the outgoing train the 2 locomotives had put on the CSX runaround track, to the left of the crossing, facing US 76 to Marion & Florence.

Note one loaded lumber car, most likely from New South Forrest at Red Hill, SC, unless anyone knows of another company shipping lumber out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 204.jpg (83.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 205.jpg (90.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Cnv0012.jpg (36.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #66
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I attended the Interstate Railroad Committee meeting in Loris, SC.

Below is a link to a news report on the meeting:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...rs-refuse.html

-John Fogherty, Green River
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #67
troy12n

The owners of that RR have showed that they are a bunch of deadbeats and dont deserve one cent.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #68
TheOldMan

More difficulties for Carolina Southern. I had been wondering about rent accruing on the cars past Nichols, SC, which couldn't be returned to their owner railroads.

This link answers that question:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...road-sued.html

Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #69
ShortlinesUSA

NS must have brushed up on who owes them money. CALA isn't the only one with large sums floating over their heads right now.

This is frustrating to watch. I know for a fact other companies are interested. But they want to buy the line on the cheap, as they should. It's a big gamble to invest in this line hoping business will come. Present business and track conditions do not warrant a premium selling price.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #70
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the Post

Thanks for the post, ShortLines, USA. I am attatching 3 photos I took at the meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committe, at the last meeting of May 15 of this year, in Loris, South Carolina.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 363.jpg (92.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 364.jpg (85.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 365.jpg (80.1 KB, 175 views)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #71
TheOldMan

Latest news on Carolina Southern.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...y-countys.html

Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #72
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
These guys are such deadbeat shysters. The County should move to seize the line and rolling stock and evict them.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #73
TheOldMan

Here's a link to a Whiteville News Reporter article before the Interstate Railroad Committee meeting scheduled for Wednesday, June 26 of this week:

http://www.whiteville.com/news/railr...9bb2963f4.html

I didn't go to the meeting in Loris, South Carolina, since I learned that it had been cancelled.

Here is a link to a Whiteville News Reporter article on the cancellation, and the rescheduling.

http://www.whiteville.com/news/railr...9bb2963f4.html

Both of these brief stories had note to go to the NR for the full version. I don't know now whether the full version is an online subscription edition, or in the hard copy version, or possibly both, but will find out.

The one interesting point in the NR article on the meeting cancellation is that a possible buyer of the railroad had been identified.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 06-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #74
TheOldMan

The next meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committe is scheduled for tomorrow in Loris, South Carolina, at 5 PM.

Have not decided yet if I'll go (if there is not another last minute cancellation).

Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #75
ShortlinesUSA

Did you wind up going to the meeting? Again, many thanks for continuing to follow the saga on the CALA. It would be great to see trains moving again there.