Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
TheOldMan

Default B&A d.b.a. CSRR, Latest News

Here is a link to the latest news on B&A d.b.a. CSRR, from the Whiteville, NC newspaper.

http://www.whiteville.com/news/commi...a4bcf887a.html
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
This odd machne was similar to another one that was kept at the New South Forrest yard in Red Hill until B&A, d.b.a. CSRR, bought out Waccamaw Coastline.
It's amazing what you can find on Railpictures taken by me.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I don't know the full story behind this one. You mentioned a similiar one on the WCL. They did have a NW2 locomotive that is now not too far from where you were over in Rains, SC, though it's been repainted. There are several shots of it on line in WCL-purple as well as the new paint job, though I myself have never actually seen it.

The Marion County Railway is abandoned, though as you saw, some parts remain somewhat intact.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
Joe the Photog

Oh, and another former Wacamaw Coast Line motor got a little time on national TV earlier this week. If you catch NBC's "Evolution" (or is it "Revoolution? I can't remember.) on a rerun or online, there is a sword fight early in the show that takes place in a derelict railyard. That railyard is the Carolina Southern yard in Chadbourn, NC and at one point they show the WCL GP18 #943, with her bad nose job, fading paint and stewn with weeds, as well as another unit or two behind her and some rail cars.

Look for another scene on that show soon with Hampton & Branchville 2-8-0 on loan from just up the road from me, the South Carolina Railroad Museum in Winnsboro.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
TheOldMan

Joe, thanks for the photos. I did take some video footage a number of years back at the CSX grade crossing of highway 76 when I was in Mullins: 2 CSR locomotives returning from leaving a train on the CSX runaround track, and a CSX thru train.

I had some footage at that same location of a CSX thru train of high bulkhead hopper cars, but haven't been able to find it lately. Maybe I accidently recorded over it.

I do plan to visit the Tobacco Museum in the Mullins depot buildinig when I have the opportunity.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 09-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Here is a link to an article in the Myrtle Beach paper about the railroad's future. They held a public hearing and asked that the owners of the railroad not be there. Mr. Pippins says he'd consider selling. The counties want service back!

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...ds-future.html
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
TheOldMan

Joe, thanks for the link. I bought the hard copy of the Sun-News yesterday, but had not found the story online today, so you've provided me with what I was looking for.

I was glad to see the comments, but the "additional photos" promised in yesterday's front page story were just the photos in the "continued on Page" page.

In that front page photo, I wonder why the boxcars and caboose have been backed up onto the West Kingston Lake bridge?

When I was last in the area, Saturday of going on two weeks ago, The tracks at the depot building were empty of rolling stock, although a passenger car was visible past the station building, toward the West Kingston Lake trestle.

Also, I discovered this story, which seems to be combined with an opinion piece, in SC Hotline.

http://schotline.us/solving-the-caro...lroad-problem/

Last edited by TheOldMan; 10-01-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
BR549

Default First Committee Meeting

http://media.iadsnetwork.com/edition...a16a68a910.pdf

http://media.iadsnetwork.com/edition...dfa817e813.pdf

Here are links for the 2 pages of the October 10 issue of the Tabor-Loris Tribune which headline the first committee meeting with the Carolina Southern Railroad.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #33
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
http://media.iadsnetwork.com/edition...a16a68a910.pdf

http://media.iadsnetwork.com/edition...dfa817e813.pdf

Here are links for the 2 pages of the October 10 issue of the Tabor-Loris Tribune which headline the first committee meeting with the Carolina Southern Railroad.
Thanks for the links, BR549. It seems to me that the editors of the Columbus County newspaper are much more interested in the railroad than the Myrtle Beach Sun News editors are, although the Sun-News dos eventually catch up with the quicker to report the story Columbus County newspaper.

I long for the Good Old Days of the mid 1980s, when the late Jerry Ausband, was the Editor of the Sun News, and every conceivable detail of the local railroad was reported in the moswt minute detail.

Driving along U.S. 501, one day I noted some ties along the railroad in Myrtle Beach.

The following day, the Sun News had a report on the tie replacement, with quotes from a SCL official, who said the ties were used yard ties, rather than new ties, since SCL was planning to file for abandonment of the Conway-Myrtle Beach track.

Also, there was an editorial in the Sun-News, saying that by installing used ties rather than new ones, SCL was strengthening their case for abandonment.

All of these reports and editorials on the railroad were a good motivation to get me out of bed in the morning, and get the day's Sun News to read of the latest railroad developments.

Sad to say, those days are Gone Forever.

R.I.P. Jerry Ausband. Your great newspaper coverage of the local railroad will Live Forever in the Garden of my Dreams and my Memories.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
TheOldMan

So far, I had not seen any Loris Tribune reports on the railroad. The one in the links above is very good.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
Joe the Photog

I don't understand what kind of partnership with SC Public Railways he's expecting.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't understand what kind of partnership with SC Public Railways he's expecting.
Neither do I, Joe but maybe we will find out something after the next committee meeting.

At one time, Horry County had a proposed operation of the Conway to Myrtle Beach track by the SC Public Railways Commission, withe the provision that the county would have to make up for any losses if that line ran in the red, but that proposal was never carried out.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #37
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I went to the third meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committee, the first meeting I have attended, in Loris, South Carolina.

The meeting lasted from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM.

I did get a 9 page copy of the minutes of the last meeting, and found the Committee members all friendly to me, one of a few non-Committee members attending.

In the attendance log from the last meeting, there was one person listed as "Interested Citizen," along with other non-members.

Yesterday, there were a lot of newspaper reporters, probably as many as four.

Most of the meeting was held in executive session.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Joe the Photog

Any talk about the SC Publi Railway possibility?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
TheOldMan

Joe, I don't remember much if any talk about the Public Railways in the public discussion, although there was a fair amount in the munutes of the last meeting, where the South Carolina public RR commission was described as a "holding company," and it during that meeting an official of that agency was asked if it could operate in North Carolina, and the answer was affirmitive.

Don't have the minutes with me to give exact quotes now, but can do so later.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #40
ShortlinesUSA

Interesting they descibed SCPR as a "holding company." I really wouldn't consider them as such. I guess if you consider a state agency that comes in and buys a line as a "holding company," SCPR would qualify.

If SCPR does step in, I would see them as buying the line outright and then either operating it themselves or contracting an operator. Is anyone aware they own some of the trackage the Pickens RR operates? This would be more along the lines of how I could see them being involved as a "holding company."

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #41
TheOldMan

Default From Minutes of Interstate Railroad Committe meeting of October 8, 2012

Last week, I did a transcript of part of the minutes of the Interstate Carolina Southern Railroad committe of North and South Carolina, from the meeting of October 8, 2012.

I accidently hit some wrong key, no idea which one, and it got lost before I could post it, and I couldn't recover it.

So, here it is again, from Section VII. Briefing and Discussion of Alternative Solutions to Immediately Get the CSRR Back in Operation and Discussion of the Longer Term Issues/Opportunities.

"Co-Chairman Wendel asked these three gentlemen to give a briefing on alternatives for the current railroad situation and the dilemma of not having funds for repairs. He asked them what funding opportunities are available in their specific areas and how to pursue those alternatives.

. . . Jeff McWhorter stated that S.C. Public Railways, created in 1969, is a holding company for three railroad companies, two of which provide switching operations within the state port facilities. The other company is a shortline railroad. They also own some other rail properties throughout the state. They were rolled into the S.C. Department of Commerce, largely because of their economic development role. Their funding is generated through the services that they provide. They are not a regulatory or a grant agency. Any money invested goes toward projects with an economic development component.

Mr. McWhorter was asked if he could operate in North Carolina, and he responded in the affirmative. He also confirmed, when asked, that his company is making a profit. Mr. McWhorter was asked if he and Mr. Pippin were to sit down and work out something, how long would it take for him to get approval. He responded that he and Mr. Pippin have been working together and have formulated a plan, and they have solicited and individual to assist with the evaluation process. Mr. McWhorter recently received the evaluation but has not had time to review it. Mr. Pippin stated that, from general knowledge, it would probably take 90-120 days. Mr. Pippin further stated, however, that he was not sure that this is the cure for the problem, and he posed the question to Mr. Frate as to the likelihood that the state would apply for RRIF funds.

Co-Chariman Wendel stated that he had been to Columbia to meet with the S.C. Secretary of Commerce, Robert Hitt. Mr. Hitt recognizes the importance of the railroad to the counties involved as well as the fact that the Pippin's have exhaused their alternatives for making the necessary repairs.

Co-Chairman Wendell then redirected the meeting for a discussion of the worst case scenario. He asked Mr. Pippin for alternatives if he could not work out something to get the bridges repaired and if he was unwilling to sell or lease the railroad. Mr. Pippin reiterated that there is federal funding available to address this type of problem but that apparently someone other than himself has to impress upon the federal government that this railroad is a critical piece of infrastructure to the counties involved. The followng two alternatives were identified:

*A relationship between S.C. Public Railways and Carolina Southern Railroad.

*A mechanism for a loan to Carolina Southern Railroad.

The question was asked as to whether there are any emergency provisions under the law that would allow intervention of some kind, and Mr. McWhorter responded that he iw aware that there are various remedies available but he is not well versed in them because he has never had to use them . . . "

Note: Mr. Frate, referred to above, is identified in the Attendee List for the meeting of October 8, 2012, as Doug Frate, Director of the Office of Public Transit within the Division of Intermodal and Freight Programs at the SC Department of Transportation.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #42
BR549

Default It's Beginning To Get Real

Attached are clippings of another article from the Tabor-Loris Tribune. The publish date would have to be November 14 or before, because I have just received a copy of the November 21 issue which has another updated article. Things are starting to get serious down there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page 1.jpg (152.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Page 2.jpg (218.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #43
BR549

And here is the November 21 article.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img003.pdf (416.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #44
Joe the Photog

I just don't know who has the pockets deep enough to come in and get this line back up to standards. Obviously I'd love to see it happen.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I just don't know who has the pockets deep enough to come in and get this line back up to standards. Obviously I'd love to see it happen.
Nobody has pockets as deep as they'd need to be in this situation. However, let the railroad be bought by a reputable buyer, and I'm willing to wager you'll see some financial assistance.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #46
ShortlinesUSA

Keep your eyes on the "holding company." They have the money, and it is well within their mission of preserving rail service in the state to do this. As BR549 suggests, an organization of this stature (read: state agency, tied in closely with powerful DC politicians, such as Jim Clyburn) would open up avenues to financial assistance out of reach to the Pippins.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
TheOldMan

I went to the Interstate Railroad Committee meeting at Loris South Carolina, yesterday, and again it was mostly executive session, but was much shorter than the first meeting in November.

Did not hear whether there will be another meeting before new years.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #48
TheOldMan

In Loris, SC, there is a 12 or so car train of mostly boxcars, & one hopper car at an apparently closed warehouse.

Did not take any photos, but might do so later. The boxcars looked very much like those
on an outgoing train the CSRR locomitives had put onto the CSX runaround track a few
years back. I can get a screen grab of some video I shot of that train, for comparison
after I photo the train in Loris.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #49
Joe the Photog

I'm appreciating the updates, even if I don't always reply. Many thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #50
ShortlinesUSA

Any locomotives with the cut of cars in Loris, by chance? I don't think it has firmly been nailed down (not that I've seen, at least) where all of the CALA locomotives are. I am assuming Conway, Chadbourne, and Mullins, but that of course is an assumption, and you know the rule on those.

And to second Joe's reply, these reports of the committee proceedings and sightings along the line are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for taking the time and effort to post them and keep the forum up to date!