Old 09-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default A PEQ and a foreground clutter

Firstly, the PEQ - I don't usually do detail shots, I suck at them. Am I just doing it wrong?
Second, framing. I know that there's too much fence in there totally justifying the rejection, but again, I never do framing shots, am I doing it right?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
WembYard

Disclaimer....detail shots are not exactly my strong point either, but the problem (to me) is that the first one does not look particularly railroad related.

The second shot is a good idea, but the fence immediately in front of the train and the items in the middle distance that look like steps distract from the subject of the picture.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
RicHamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Firstly, the PEQ - I don't usually do detail shots, I suck at them. Am I just doing it wrong?
I think if the image was seen as RR related that would help for example steel wheels or cab or something immediately identifyable as RR

Quote:
Second, framing. I know that there's too much fence in there totally justifying the rejection, but again, I never do framing shots, am I doing it right?
I agree win WembYard. It was the fence right infront of the train that did it for me. The framing, imho, is on target.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Disclaimer....detail shots are not exactly my strong point either, but the problem (to me) is that the first one does not look particularly railroad related.
First shot won't get in, Mike, but it is sweet! Great job, nice composition, great textures.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I'm all for the outside of the box shots, and in the case with the 2nd one, in the box shots too. It seems it's a hit and miss with those out of the box shots around here unfortunately. Getting the entire train in the frame in the 2nd one, is it a challenge to zoom or walk in a bit closer? That post is really distracting to me

Ben
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
jnohallman

As others have mentioned, the first one just isn't obvious enough as a train shot, though I like what you're doing there. I had a shot rejected some time back for PEQ for the same issue - just not enough train. For the framing shot, again, I like the idea. The unfortunate things in that shot are the second, third, fourth and fifth lines of fence. I think if it were just the gate in front, you might have a chance. However, the setting just doesn't allow for that particular framing shot to meet what RP seems to want. FWIW, I like it.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Kilroy1313

http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...tid=3384&stc=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard

The second shot is a good idea, but the fence immediately in front of the train and the items in the middle distance that look like steps distract from the subject of the picture.
I agree with the comments, but for detail shots I must say that I like them very much - only they must have a strong and neat message in it.
Until now my trials have no success (one recent rejection to see as example).
The screeners are very severe with artistic and grafic material because it may often appeal only to a very limited quantity of people.
And as server space is still a cost-intensive post (only from the hosting costs as energy for a 24/24 running) plus the reputation of an high-quality website the risk of creating some dead server space creates rather rejection of even not so bad shots than going to take uncalculable risks.
Train-Videos

Last edited by Kilroy1313; 02-23-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
KevinM

I'm not a huge fan of detail shots. I see them all the time but click on them far less frequently. As the others have pointed out, there isn't anything in this shot that necessarily screams railroad. It's a really good quality photo of whatever it is though!

As for the second one... Yeah, I wish the fence right next to the train weren't there, but this is still a pretty shot. Fences are like wires, weeds and shadows. You try to avoid them if you can, but they are a part of the railroad environment. To me, if the overall scene has beauty/merit, some of these things should be excusable. This is a pretty scene that happens to include a train, not a train picture that happens to include lots of clutter.

If it were mine, I'd appeal on those grounds.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
mark woody

also peq ,comments on composition etc. would be most welcome.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=573668780
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody
also peq ,comments on composition etc. would be most welcome.
For RP, just not enough of a train shot.

In general, nice idea and the red stop sign is a focal point of sorts in the field of silver and hay. I find the foreground to be a jumble, plus things cut off plus not in focus. Not a strong composition. Also not level, and the unlevel is not a pleasing or interesting unlevel, to my eye.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
For RP, just not enough of a train shot.

In general, nice idea and the red stop sign is a focal point of sorts in the field of silver and hay. I find the foreground to be a jumble, plus things cut off plus not in focus. Not a strong composition. Also not level, and the unlevel is not a pleasing or interesting unlevel, to my eye.
another view different angle open to suggestions but thinking personal collection.

Last edited by mark woody; 07-05-2010 at 03:01 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote