Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default PIQ? Really?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...83&key=7162170
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=2447723

Just tried submitting these tonight and... shot down. Re-edits of older shots of mine, but apparently didn't stand a chance. Keep in mind, the BNSF shot was taken just over 9 months ago, and the UP one 6 months ago... but I felt they had some sort of chance... guess not?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
KevinM

Ugh....

I can't really comment much on the quality of the files because I find anything but obvious issues difficult to see on a low-res image, but the screener made a good call on these.

I'm actually surprised that you submitted that first one. I hate to put it like this, because I don't want to sound harsh, but it is pretty obviously not RP material. It looks overexposed and the contrast is really poor on the low side. The problem with a shot like that is not so much that it just doesn't get accepted. The REAL problem is that it tells the screener that you're still not able to recognize obvious issues like exposure and contrast. It means your images will get a lot closer look, and that they'll be spring-loaded to hit the rejection button.

The second shot (BNSF) is definitely better, but it still needs more pop. Perhaps it was the lighting or just a lack of good editing, but the image has a blah look to it. Not that it would have made it on its own, but this one could have been collateral damage after the screener saw the first one.

What are you shooting with these days? If I recall correctly, in the past you were shooting with a P&S camera that was getting you a lot of PIQ rejections. Hopefully, you've got something more capable now. Used DSLRs are a dime a dozen. If you do have something newer, I would avoid re-submitting images from the old camera. It definitely wasn't serving you well.

In general, focus on the future. Forget about the old images. In my case, I would never submit anything I shot before 2008, and even that would be a rarity. Everyone gets better with time and their equipment typically gets better too. As time goes on, you'll develop your own standards and you'll look at your old stuff and just shake your head.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
spacetrain1983

They weren't exactly fresh edits, but I found them in a random folder, already downscaled, and in my "infinite" late-night wisdom, decided "yeah sure why not", and touched them up and submitted.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
They weren't exactly fresh edits, but I found them in a random folder, already downscaled, and in my "infinite" late-night wisdom, decided "yeah sure why not", and touched them up and submitted.
If you're getting something ready to submit to RP, haste should not be in the equation. After you think you are done editing a photo, spend a few minutes carefully looking at the entire photo with magnification in your photo editor. If anything doesn't look right, there's still work to be done.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
If you're getting something ready to submit to RP, haste should not be in the equation. After you think you are done editing a photo, spend a few minutes carefully looking at the entire photo with magnification in your photo editor. If anything doesn't look right, there's still work to be done.
Better yet, if the photo is not something like hot breaking news, sleep on it, then look at it objectively the next day.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #6
ATSF666

I think I recall you are too young to be drinking and posting photos to RP. That's my excuse for some the crap I process and upload!

Agreed with all of the above, these need some work, though the BNSF one is salvageable. Don't think the UP is.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
bigbassloyd

I agree with the assessment Kevin provided you. The second shot would be the only one that is worth a re-visit for editing.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I agree with the assessment Kevin provided you. The second shot would be the only one that is worth a re-visit for editing.

Loyd L.
I was about to post a re-edit of the BNSF- but the trees and grass still did not look good. I think the "should not be re-submitted" call is spot on.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote