Old 02-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
bigiron

Default My first attempt at B&W, need help...

Well I had to try a black and white and thought this would be a good candidate and have a dilemma as the floating chunks of ice are reflecting in the morning sun and giving it that grain look. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...52&key=3110479

Thanks, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Well I had to try a black and white and thought this would be a good candidate and have a dilemma as the floating chunks of ice are reflecting in the morning sun and giving it that grain look. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...52&key=3110479

Thanks, Rich
Rich, I hate to say this cause I am getting dinged on a 41 year old slide with snow for noise and am very annoyed but the whole image looks pretty rough. Not sure if there is a lot of haze. shooting into sun or shooting with a big zoom or cropping? then the power is behind trees while there is an opening but even that is hard to tell. ...

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
Noct Foamer

You could do what I do--load up some Ilford HP5 in my Nikon F3T/Leica IIIc/Chamonix 045n. I like the classic look I'm getting from HP5.

I just took a look at your shot and have some thoughts. I would definitely have used a polarizer on this one, for starters. Next, the shot looks "muddy". There isn't enough contrast and it's just not sharp. Did you use a tripod? The tones just don't look like "real" b&w to me either.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 02-25-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #4

I like the idea you were going for, but the image quality is just not there for it to likely be accepted. As you already mentioned - it's been rejected for too much grain.

Best to just keep this one in the personal archives or post to Flickr. No disrespect.
3375 is offline   Reply With Quote