Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
crazyro

Send a message via AIM to crazyro
Default Debris on track

Please forgive my ignorance (though I seem to not be the only one who doesn't know), but in this case, why couldn't the crew just push this out of the way? Is there a rule about such debris?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=276661
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Please forgive my ignorance (though I seem to not be the only one who doesn't know), but in this case, why couldn't the crew just push this out of the way? Is there a rule about such debris?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=276661

Union agreements. Smaller, non-union RRs usually carry a chain saw on the loco. Especially after a wind storm.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Union agreements. Smaller, non-union RRs usually carry a chain saw on the loco. Especially after a wind storm.
Bingo. On class ones, they have guys/contacts to do anything and everything. If you're not specifically paid to do it (or can't as a part of the union contract), someone else is (either working for the railroad or contracted out) - that's just the way Class Ones work, they're so large that they have far more specialization in the various trades. Another angle is suppose you work for a safety conscious class-one railroad, you're in a hurry to get your quit, so you climb off the locomotive and try to move it with your engineer, and one of you gets injured and has to report it...now YOU'RE in trouble for trying to move the tree with a manager likely telling you that you should have just waited for the track department to show up to move it...so it's easy to see why most guys would elect to just wait instead.

As you have said, with a shortline, you have to be a "jack of all trades", as there's likely no R.J. Corman to come rerail the locomotive you put on the ground, no army of mechanics or a car department to fix equipment on the fly (or come out to the train itself with an arsenal of tools), or, in this case, MOW guys to clear a tree. Amen on the chainsaw comment.

Last edited by TAMR159; 03-26-2009 at 06:06 PM.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
jnohallman

Something else to consider about that tree. Union agreements aside, it's too big for the crew themselves to physically push out of the way, and if your question related to using the engine to do so, I'm not so sure you'd want to try that either - if the tree doesn't cooperate properly, you might end up with the engine on the ground. Don't want that!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
TAMR159

I should also add that pushing it with the locomotive would likely be a serious rules violation if that line is to be operated at restricted speed (being able to stop within one half the distance of a spotted obstruction - hitting a tree with the locomotive obviously violates that!). Again, while they could very well move it themselves, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the crew were written up and even placed Out Of Service for performing such an act - that's just how class ones operate, hence most crews elect to do as little outside of their specified job functions as possible. Why go above and beyond in your job if you're liable to receive a nasty mark on your record and be put Out Of Service for it?

Last edited by TAMR159; 03-27-2009 at 03:50 AM.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
JimThias

The rules are definitely understandable, but I think a lot of us (demented folk) here would love to see a locomotive blast through a big tree like that. There are a few overgrown tracks in my area that I've always thought it would be cool to see a locomotive go plowing through. It'll never happen, but it's a fun thought.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

If they can stop they will.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I've always wondered if the crews ever get suspicious when they see something like that and an individual with camera in hand...
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
I should also add that pushing it with the locomotive would likely be a serious rules violation if that line is to be operated at restricted speed (being able to stop within one half the distance of a spotted obstruction - hitting a tree with the locomotive obviously violates that!). Again, while they could very well move it themselves, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the crew were written up and even placed Out Of Service for performing such an act - that's just how class ones operate, hence most crews elect to do as little outside of their specified job functions as possible. Why go above and beyond in your job if you're liable to receive a nasty mark on your record and be put Out Of Service for it?
Allow me to build on this, Stop the movement within one half range of vision short of, men and equipment, obstruction, mis-aligned switch, derail, train, trackcar and any signal requiring a stop, looking out for mis-aligned track and broken rail not exceeding 15mph. ( NS Rules ).. If this is the case with this line in question, we should understand this, if, the line in question is defined as a " Main Track " then the answer is easy for that also, the crew was simply screwing the pooch!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote