Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,217
Default Does anyone here like this?

Flickrers are lavishing praise on this one (42,600 views, 1791 faves):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterjack/15515641650/

Looks like he forgot to photoshop her shadow in.

I criticized it as sending a bad message and trespassing (if she's really on the track), but photog deleted the comment.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-05-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: correction
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,725
Default

A terrible idea if real. It's clearly not, so instead it's a VERY terrible, half-assed, sad attempt at fauxtography. My 8 year old could photoshop better than that. I guess you can color me 'not a fan'

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
BobE
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Default

Putting aside the trespassing/safety question, it's a little pointless, and not very well executed. It does show how very differently the way other people look at photography.

I didn't read all 120+ comments, but there's lacking the one that says, "This is a piece of s**t."
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

It's hard to exit the world of railfandom when looking at one of these shots. Nonetheless, the lack of relationship between the person and the scene, the person apparently looking at, well, nothing at all, the uninteresting colors, the merge between hairbun and dark cloud, the weird effect in the sky upper left (daytime aurora borealis? ), compositionally I see nothing that works for me.

I do wonder where it was linked, such that it got 40,000 + views.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Ah, the magic of linking.

The perk of popularity.

I think if any of us were to post that exact shot, it would fall flat.

Not a fan, myself, though, without the girl in the gauge it's a nice scene and
I'll admit, I clicked on the "follow" button pretty quick after looking at the
rest of his portfolio.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It's hard to exit the world of railfandom when looking at one of these shots. Nonetheless, the lack of relationship between the person and the scene, the person apparently looking at, well, nothing at all, the uninteresting colors, the merge between hairbun and dark cloud, the weird effect in the sky upper left (daytime aurora borealis? ), compositionally I see nothing that works for me.

I do wonder where it was linked, such that it got 40,000 + views.
Linking has nothing to do with it, it was chosen for 'explore' on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/explore

Anything that is chosen to be featured there (no idea how it's chosen) will get massive views. As with this shot of mine that is past 38,000 views.

Ex-Rutland trestle at Rouses Point by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
A terrible idea if real. It's clearly not, so instead it's a VERY terrible, half-assed, sad attempt at fauxtography. My 8 year old could photoshop better than that. I guess you can color me 'not a fan'
I wish I could photoshop that well. I envy your 8-year-old.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
NorthWest
Member
 
NorthWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 67
Default Flickr Explore

I took a look, and found that trains were featured in quite a few of them. I find this interesting. Seems that one of the "pickers" is a railfan? Landscapes and birds are at the top, as I expected.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #9
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWest View Post
I took a look, and found that trains were featured in quite a few of them. I find this interesting. Seems that one of the "pickers" is a railfan? Landscapes and birds are at the top, as I expected.
What, no pets?

No dogs?



/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #10
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I wish I could photoshop that well. I envy your 8-year-old.
If you're terrible at it, then you already are.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.