Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
OCtrainguy

Default Obstructing Objects (Foreground Clutter)

This photo was rejected for the above reason.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1135890400

I've gotten this one a few times when submitting yard photos. In my few trips to Gallitzin, PA, this was my first train meet. Would the eastbound stack train be the culprit of the obstructing object or clutter? Just trying to get an understanding with respect to this photo. Thank you.
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

Obvious question time: why didn't you take a few steps to your left?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
IHapsias

He was to mesmerized by the choo-choo on the track in front of him that he didn't see the the other train till he saw the blue at the last second and snapped a foamer's shot off.

That's my guess.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
NorfolkSouthernC40-8

Send a message via AIM to NorfolkSouthernC40-8

Quote:
Well I guess in his defense I believe he's shooting through a window type opening in a fence on a bridge and there are only a few openings in the fence meaning moving a few steps to the left would cause the fence to be in the way. "However, comma," if he had moved to the next window opening to the left he probably would have gotten a better, and less obstructed shot.

"Well wake her ass up, we gotta' win tomorrow!"

Last edited by NorfolkSouthernC40-8; 01-25-2011 at 12:42 AM.
NorfolkSouthernC40-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
35mmguy

I made this mistake on the last one, I had great angle but I noticed an underground fiberoptic cable marker in the way of the locomotive, the shot looked great (I'm uploading it to my FTP just because I like the composition) next time I just gotta step a bit to the left. ISO 1600 + Nifty Fifty 1.8 + in camera noise reduction + Lightroom noise reduction = win
Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthernC40-8
Well I guess in his defense I believe he's shooting through a window type opening in a fence on a bridge and there are only a few openings in the fence meaning moving a few steps to the left would cause the fence to be in the way. However, "comma," if he had moved to the next window opening to the left he probably would have gotten a better, and less obstructed shot.
Joe,

IIRC, the fence is a chain link fence and the "links" are small in size so shooting through is out of the question. There are viewing windows built in to the fence, but the next "viewing window" to the left will have probably landed him with a backlit rejection by the looks of the shadow. This one just didn't work out, but there will be many more meets there with the east bounds stopping for the hill.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 01-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
OCtrainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Joe,

IIRC, the fence is a chain link fence and the "links" are small in size so shooting through is out of the question. There are viewing windows built in to the fence, but the next "viewing window" to the left will have probably landed him with a backlit rejection by the looks of the shadow. This one just didn't work out, but there will be many more meets there with the east bounds stopping for the hill.
Correct. There are a few viewing windows in the fence. When I first arrived at Gallitzin, there were a lot of people standing shoulder to shoulder awaiting the E8As to arrive with their afternoon curve excursion. My photo of the Es was backlit as I couldn't get close enough to the center of the tracks. When the E8s left, the vast majority of the crowd did so I was able to move closer to the tracks. Anything further left away from the tracks would've put the sun on the wrong side of the train.

So basically, the front, or whole, lead engine can't have anything next to it or blocking a view of the side of the engine then, correct?
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote