Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
stlgevo51

Default I Don't Get This Distortion Stuff

I can't seem to get this distortion thing down. I'm using PS Elements 8 to edit, and it seems that the program's distortion correction is hard to master. For one thing, you can correct distortion using a few different ways, and I don't know which is the best. For this shot, I did image-transform-perspective, but it didn't come out well. Any pointers? The first attachment is the original file while the second is my edits. Thanks!

Also, PS Elements users- Do you think Elements sucks? I think that it is an extremely hard program that takes forever and has stupid features. Anybody agree?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEC29-11 039_edited-3.jpg (330.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DEC29-11 039_edited-1.jpg (396.1 KB, 133 views)
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
mark woody

Here's my shot at it in PSE7/filter-correct camera distortion. Tried it in Lightroom 3 but the program did not detect the lens automatically.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-27-2014 at 10:52 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
I can't seem to get this distortion thing down. I'm using PS Elements 8 to edit, and it seems that the program's distortion correction is hard to master. For one thing, you can correct distortion using a few different ways, and I don't know which is the best. For this shot, I did image-transform-perspective, but it didn't come out well. Any pointers? The first attachment is the original file while the second is my edits. Thanks!
What kind of distortion are you talking about, perspective? Pin-cushion, barrel? In general, and what specifically about these images are you unsatisfied with?

Regarding which way is best, there are lots of things that can be done multiple ways in PSE. Sometimes I make exposure adjustments in levels, sometimes in brightness/contrast, sometimes shadows/highlights, sometimes two or all three. In many cases I know I could have gotten to the same result using something different.

Quote:
Also, PS Elements users- Do you think Elements sucks? I think that it is an extremely hard program that takes forever and has stupid features. Anybody agree?
I disagree on your overall assessment. I think PSE is easy to use albeit not simple. It doesn't take that long once one is skilled, but I haven't noticed that to be different than other software with its capabilities. I do believe good processing is challenging at times and in general is not a body of skills quickly mastered. It takes patience and experience to do it well. PSE has lot of features I don't at all need, but I find it trivially easy to ignore them and therefore have no inclination to get frustrated by them or think of them as stupid.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
CN Railfan

I am a PSE9 user and I find it quite handy. It is cheaper than a lot of other software, but still gets the job done.
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

If it's a 24-105L, it is the lens. One of the worst for W/A distortion...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Do you think Elements sucks? I think that it is an extremely hard program that takes forever and has stupid features. Anybody agree?
Dumb question but...have you Google'd "How to fix distortion in PSE"? Usually there are many tutorials out there on the web you can read/watch for free...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I disagree on your overall assessment. I think PSE is easy to use albeit not simple. It doesn't take that long once one is skilled, but I haven't noticed that to be different than other software with its capabilities. I do believe good processing is challenging at times and in general is not a body of skills quickly mastered. It takes patience and experience to do it well. PSE has lot of features I don't at all need, but I find it trivially easy to ignore them and therefore have no inclination to get frustrated by them or think of them as stupid.
You are probably right. I should spend some time playing around with the program to gain some experience with it. Usually, I only stick with the basic features; shadows/highlights, brightness/contrast, leveling, sharpness, saturation, etc. I don't know how to do some of the more advanced stuff like cloning and removing lens flare, but I will definitely look into that stuff.

Is the wide angle distortion on my edit still bad, or did I remove most of it? If I submitted it, would it be bumped for horizon unlevel?
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Dumb question but...have you Google'd "How to fix distortion in PSE"? Usually there are many tutorials out there on the web you can read/watch for free...
I'll second that motion. That's how I learned to do most things on PSE9 and LR3. Several on YouTube, and Adobe has some good videos on their site as well.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
khalucha

I received PSE 10 as a gift for Christmas. Check out this site:

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...0-starter-kit/

It has some good info on it I think about the way the different things work.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
I received PSE 10 as a gift for Christmas. Check out this site:

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...0-starter-kit/

It has some good info on it I think about the way the different things work.
Congrats, nice gift!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote