Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #126
WisconsinCentral

And also, technically that makes shooting rosters harder, does it not?

I mean, you only have two types of shots to take, so if those shots aren't available there is no improvisation, sort to speak. It simply won't work.

Shooting out on a curve gives you many vantage points and options in lenses and styles. Therefore making it easier to get a decent image since there are fewer guidelines you must meet to make sure the shot is "A-O-K".

Alec
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #127
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
Travis, honestly it's not nearly the same thing. All you need is a train. For those of us who prefer to show our work with the "cherry on top" need power. Power=Not easy anymore, Trains=Relatively easy.

Course' there is a bunch of luck between the two styles, but you need a much more vast type for the power portion of foaming.

Heres my little "didn't happen like it should have" moment that is extremely recent(Last 24 hours).

CP 199, one of the hottest trains on the railroad, had the CP 5612 on the point (Extremely early and rare CP SD40-2) and is a relatively timely train. So I was ready to shoot this train, 661(CP 5910,CP 6025,ICE 6429), and 499(CITX 3092,CITX 2792,SOO 6042) in the afternoon down near Red Wing vicinity. Turns out the CP has a work window, which pushes the call back of 199 at Portage, which halts all the trains behind it as well. So instead of shooting three trains with awesome power I ended up watching in horror as the calls kept getting postponed...

Alec
Shooting rare power is just as easy as anything else. Why is this hard to get. It's all about luck not skill. You would be lucky to get a rare loco leading and you are lucky if the sun is out at the same time. Just as you would be lucky if the rare locomotive doesn't get stuck in the middle of a power consist.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #128
crazytiger

Powerchasing seems like a lot of luck from what y'all are saying.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #129
nikos1

Oh there is definitely more than luck to it, I would never have shot half the consists I have based on lets go sit by the track and see if something cool shows up luck. It requires having good sources and alot of planning, making sure to know when the train is running, knowing where the light will be good and thats on a clear day. On partly cloudy days you have to learn how to judge the clouds to see where you will get it in light, in the summer judging how far you need to go to get him in before or after high sun.
Like everything railroad related luck is a factor but far from the only one.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #130
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
Travis, honestly it's not nearly the same thing. All you need is a train. For those of us who prefer to show our work with the "cherry on top" need power. Power=Not easy anymore, Trains=Relatively easy.
Not really...there are plenty of shots that take me years to get because they will only be good for a narrow window of the year, requiring the right lighting conditions, the right train going the right direction at the right time...with a rare leader, I can always do night shots, drive out to intercept it, wait for it to relay back on something...where there's a will, there's usually a way.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #131
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Oh there is definitely more than luck to it, I would never have shot half the consists I have based on lets go sit by the track and see if something cool shows up luck. It requires having good sources and alot of planning, making sure to know when the train is running, knowing where the light will be good and thats on a clear day. On partly cloudy days you have to learn how to judge the clouds to see where you will get it in light, in the summer judging how far you need to go to get him in before or after high sun.
Like everything railroad related luck is a factor but far from the only one.
That's a completely different set of things that the rest of the railfan world does also which isn't related to what we are talking about.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #132
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
That's a completely different set of things that the rest of the railfan world does also which isn't related to what we are talking about.
What? Rest of the railfan world? Seeing how broad a spectrum that is, it has everything to do with what we are talking about.
-Nikos (Who thinks the guy who stands out in the middle of nowhere Montana in subzero temperatures taking hour long exposures is not exactly representative of the "rest of the railfan world"

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #133
travsirocz

Doesn't most other railfans use sources, tips, planning, info, etc. to railfan? Your confusing me.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #134
khalucha

I do not. When I get a free minute to go out, I grab my scanner and camera bag and head down the road. The tracks run pretty parallel to the road. Sometime I get something, a lot of time I am just site seeing.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #135
nikos1

The main point is that power shooting is more than just luck, theres plenty of skill required even if it is different than that required for artistic shots. Don't really feel like keeping this thread going any longer, so if you want to stick with your assumption that powershooting and rosters require no skill then whatever, no use trying to convince you.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #136
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
I do not. When I get a free minute to go out, I grab my scanner and camera bag and head down the road. The tracks run pretty parallel to the road. Sometime I get something, a lot of time I am just site seeing.
This was how I ran across the old Seaboard System SD40. We went to Laurens, SC on the spur of the moment and there she sat. It was the only time I caught it and it was pure luck, one of my sweetest catches even if the lighting was subpar.

I almost prefer this. But I do like getting words from other railfans or people who work on the railroad. Rails and cell phones helped me catch the private car train that came through Columbia about a year ago. The YahooGroups helped in knowing it was coming, but the phone calls back and forth helped me pin down exactly when it should hit the one spot where I could get a sunny side shot it it.

Basically I'm just a guy with a camera. Overthinking railfanning tends to make it a little more boring to me. Reading this thread makes me think I'm better off railfanning the way I do, either alone or with my family.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #137
Freericks
Met Fan

Joe's right... there's little more sweet than just being trackside, and there's a light... and then there's that rush of "what the hell's that?"

I've caught a number of special moves in my life that way... and it's always very cool.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #138
travsirocz

I go out blindfolded 90% of the time. But when I hear of special moves I will go and see them if I can. I also try and spread what I know to help others. I then use my skills to make rare units lead trains in the sun.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #139
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Wow! I need to take lessons from you Travis and find out how to lead units into the sun. I could use a skill like that.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #140
troy12n
Banned

The rare beast was spotted yesterday by a vigilant railfan in Sedan, Minnesota!!

Image © Bryant Kaden
PhotoID: 340410
Photograph © Bryant Kaden
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #141
IHapsias

Quote:
This is getting pointless, but I will say before quitting that you can be sarcastic as you want about it, but what makes that shot a "pleasant edition" while my shot of the blue HLCX SD60 is a detraction from my "portfolio"

All the sales have been to individuals, nothing spectacular. I keep my photostream interesting in a way I see fit, for example if you look you will not see many consecutive images of the same railroad or location and very few widecab GE's, atleast recently. I will not however alter my preferences to fit what is "popular".

Again, never said your method was wrong, rather your statements that your way was the only correct way, I think you have things flipped but I digress as you said theres not much more point running a dead horse over with a SD60......

I may be late to the thread, but how about we give it a wrap? Who cares about who's better or whatnot. No sides being taken here, but seriously, its gets annoying and old after a while. Don't you think so? Were here to talk and discuss trains, not get into wars or other nonsense. I have 13 photos on the site, I get plenty of high sun, bad cropping, color, etc. etc. and I don't care. Railfanning is supposed to be fun, NOT a competition. My 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #142
nikos1

This thread was dead until Troy decided he liked blue SD60's enough to revive it......

Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #143
IHapsias

Quote:
This thread was dead until Troy decided he liked blue SD60's enough to revive it......
Oops. Guilty is charged!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #144
jdirelan87

Anyways... not to bring back a 'dead' thread, but attached is a quick edit (about a minute) of what I came up with for the shot that started this thread six pages back. The link you provided was dead, so its based off the rejection link. Obviously not a finished product, but looks 10x better to my eye. I'd still game for taking a crack at the actual file itself...

I would say that I'm sorry my comments rubbed you the wrong way... but I'm not. Obviously my comments are rather blunt when compared to others on this forums, but like I've said many times, this is perhaps the tamest forum on the internet. If you choose to interpret my comments as offensive in addition to taking offensive to the fact that some people have a better camera then you, go for it buddy. Just remember, you asked for comments and suggestions on a photo... all I did was give you comments and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSX Athens 1-28-09 057edit5web copy.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	971.9 KB
ID:	5844  

Last edited by jdirelan87; 10-09-2010 at 03:08 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #145
nikos1

It looks brighter thats for sure, my eye just isnt used to that much post processing but cant say it looks bad, just very different than anything I would ever think of, then again I usually dont shoot on cloudy days so post processing is generally pretty easy. Whether the original can deal with that much editing is another thing but here you go, i posted a link somewhere back there but it got lost in all the BS.
http://uslw.net/content/members/niko...-28-09 057.jpg

As for the rest, idgaf to be honest, dont care to revive this thread anymore.....

Old 10-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #146
jdirelan87

See Attached... I'd like to think it has a puncher's chance. BTW - had you been shooting RAW or had some better glass, it would have been much easier to edit. Just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CSX Athens 1-28-09 057.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	923.1 KB
ID:	5845  

Last edited by jdirelan87; 10-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #147
JRMDC

A little too bright for me, it was overcast, after all. Lacking in contrast also. Here is another take, still has that HDR-ish look that some love, I do not. I increased the midpoint contrast and then lowered brightness and also overall contrast. (Midpoint contrast is a PSElements3 thing, I think that is gone from more recent software but am not sure.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CSX Athens v2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	5846  

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #148
crazytiger

I think J got it.

Edit: This is what the thread should have looked like 5-6 pages ago.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 10-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #149
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
See Attached... I'd like to think it has a puncher's chance. BTW - had you been shooting RAW or had some better glass, it would have been much easier to edit. Just sayin'
Oh really? Thanks for throwing that in there, no one was aware of that fact.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #150
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I just looked at the photo in question for the first time, and it is a horror show. Terrible noise and color fringing; no chance whatsoever.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote