Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #101
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Like I said ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I argued with a space heater once. All I got was hot air back.

Sound familiar?

Loyd L.
Okay, point taken! I still feel this thread is still somewhat civilized.. Just two teenagers talking back and forth about issues they still strong about..


Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
But yet your two most popular shots...
Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 311439
Photograph © Chase55671

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 306119
Photograph © Chase55671


Both "gimmick" shots...
Sure.. I have a few "gimmick" shots in there.. No denying that.. I don't think that considers me to be a hypocrite though.. I still stand by what I said..

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 09-29-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #102
AntD.
Senior Member
 
AntD.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 372
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
But yet your two most popular shots...
Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 311439
Photograph © Chase55671

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 306119
Photograph © Chase55671


Both "gimmick" shots...
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #103
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
The viewership is certainly not only for the artsy type of photos, but I feel it favors that more so than power shooters. While sure, a uniquely painted roster shot may get 1,500 hits, but for the most part, the type of material you submit is overlooked, because bluntly, it doesn't stand out among the other similarly composed images. If it did, every time an HLCX SD60 was submitted, it'd get a PCA.
So now you are basing my entire photostream of one image? I think my images have done quite well, since when is it mandatory every shot gets a PCA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
This is where you're wrong. You claim that the RP viewers do not care about overprocessed photos of signals? If you would take the line to compare my portfolio to yours, you would realize that perhaps RP does care about different subjects. I'm not saying mine is better than yours and claiming I am a better photog, I'm simply saying the facts are there. Compare our comments/favorites. We have two completely different types of shooting methods and this should be able to hopefully enable you to understand my philosophy.
Having a philosophy is different than saying what you believe is the absolute truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
If the viewers didn't give a flying f*** about overprocessed shots and uniquely composed images with dramatic back drops, then why are these types of photos selected as PCA's every week? Do you ever see your precious SD60's or CR B40-8's in a roster type composition with a PCA, SC, or POTW tag? This is why I believe (the facts support my theory) that the RP viewers (viewers, meaning, not only me) concur with my theory that the artsy/dramatic shots are preferred over wedgies and half lit SD60's taken from overpasses with a dull urban back drop.
If your that much of a view whore that all you care about is what little award is under your photo, thats your issue, I don't really care enough to define my shooting to what the site wants.
Since we are calling out photos, whats this here then? Certainly not a good image, high sun terrible composition, heat distorted, I wouldnt have submitted that, surely not a good addition to your "portfolio", might want to get that remove before all the "agencys" decide to stop using your work
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 338294
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
You claim I have an ego, when you choose to disagree with my valid theory, when the facts are clearly visible on the homepage.
Again its your attitude that your pictures are better than everyone elses because they get all the fancy ribbons, therefore making your style of photography the only valid one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Again, wrong. This again supports my above theory in a twisted manner. You claim noone cares, because you've never been contacted by anyone. If you had ever been contacted by an agency, you would have a different approach.
Many others agree (infact, currently there is a thread about this on ObsCar) that RP is a great place to make money from your railroad photography. I personally have been contacted by Amtrak, Trains, and other agencies requesting to use my work. I guarantee you I haven't been contacted as many times as some contributors, but I can certainly confirm I have had some success with RP.
When you finally branch away from shooting what you think is "important", you'll hopefully see it from my perspective.
"Eventually branch away from what I see as important"? Why the f*** would I do that. Its my time, my money and my effort and I will do what I want. Theres a reason its a hobby not a job..... If I wanted more money I guarantee you I would not spend hours sitting by the track trying to get it......
Imagine yourself back in the 1950's when roster shooting was the standard, would you stop shooting time exposures because it was non standard? Probably so since your main objective in photography seems to just be to please others from what you have typed, but thats not the point.
Oh and yes I have sold a few photos, if someone likes my stuff thats great, Ill be happy to sell them a print at a reasonable price.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
The screeners agree because the image technically doesn't have anything wrong with it. The lighting is good, the suject is in focus, etc. etc.

Does it do anything positive to your portfolio? Nope.

This is why I have a problem when roster shots or derailments get a To24. I wouldn't neccesiarly consider it to be unfair Tof24 (as the viewership does prefer different types of shots, as you've clearly attempted to inform me), I just have a slight problem with a well lit roster (possibly the most easy composition to accomplish) getting a Tof24 when a well executed composition gets knocked off the homepage.

Chase
Pending ObsCar Moderator
Define portfolio. Why must it be viewed in a strictly artistic sense? Because some add agency might be looking for photos here? Is money your only motivation for posting here?
Have you considered theres other reasons to post photos, maybe just to share a shot of a unit that there is only one other shot of on the database? And less than 15 shots of SD60's in this paintscheme.
I dont think there is a need to post that shot of yours of the HLCX SD60, but its at the top of the post.....
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #104
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
So now you are basing my entire photostream of one image? I think my images have done quite well, since when is it mandatory every shot gets a PCA?
I didn't imply it is mandatory for each image to be nominated an award, but simply stated that the PCA's, SC's, and POTW's seem to favor artsy photos and not B40-8's/SD60's in a roster/wedge composition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
If your that much of a view whore that all you care about is what little award is under your photo, thats your issue, I don't really care enough to define my shooting to what the site wants.
Since we are calling out photos, whats this here then? Certainly not a good image, high sun terrible composition, heat distorted, I wouldnt have submitted that, surely not a good addition to your "portfolio", might want to get that remove before all the "agencys" decide to stop using your work
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 338294
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe
You're taking me the wrong way, Nikos. I don't care about what awards I receive, I'm simply trying to get across that the way I prefer to shoot tends to be the more popular way of shooting on RP. Big time RP contributors inspire me to become a better photog. I'm personally inspired by the creative stuff.

Why did I submit that? Simply answer.. It was an SD60 and it was an HLCX! Those are very rare...

I'm not saying I shoot just for hopes that I am contacted by an agency.. It's simply a pleasant addition. That shot surely isn't my best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Again its your attitude that your pictures are better than everyone elses because they get all the fancy ribbons, therefore making your style of photography the only valid one.
It's not "my" style.. It's a genre of RP, per say.. If you're implying that artsy/creative imagery is my "style", then you're wrong. I simply shoot the way I like to shoot and I seem to share the same method of shooting with many contributors.. I'm no pro by any means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
"Eventually branch away from what I see as important"? Why the f*** would I do that. Its my time, my money and my effort and I will do what I want. Theres a reason its a hobby not a job..... If I wanted more money I guarantee you I would not spend hours sitting by the track trying to get it......
Imagine yourself back in the 1950's when roster shooting was the standard, would you stop shooting time exposures because it was non standard? Probably so since your main objective in photography seems to just be to please others from what you have typed, but thats not the point.
Oh and yes I have sold a few photos, if someone likes my stuff thats great, Ill be happy to sell them a print at a reasonable price.
Then if you're familiar with selling images, why would you make a comment that agencies don't care about what is posted on RP? This is, of course, presuming you were contacted via RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Define portfolio. Why must it be viewed in a strictly artistic sense? Because some add agency might be looking for photos here? Is money your only motivation for posting here?
Have you considered theres other reasons to post photos, maybe just to share a shot of a unit that there is only one other shot of on the database? And less than 15 shots of SD60's in this paintscheme.
I dont think there is a need to post that shot of yours of the HLCX SD60, but its at the top of the post.....
It's simply an opinion. I prefer displaying artistic photos and you obviously prefer rare power and compositions that show off what you find to be the most important part of the photo, the locomotive. Neither of us is correct..

There is really no need to continue arguing over this, as this is a subjective discussion and neither can technically be "right". Our opinions are simply that..

I just had a problem with you thinking your method was right and mine was wrong.. I never implied mine was right, as that would be foolish.

What really got to me was you saying that RP prefers your type of shooting and bluntly, I disagree with that and have the facts to prove it. Other than that, the rest is just opinions and that can't be proven.

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 AM   #105
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

This argument is stupid, really. Who cares? Nikos, you have many nicely composed shots, in my opinion. Chase, you have great shots too, including some incredible ones, but you have some that aren't great, just like almost every person in this thread. Why is that shot of Nikos's being called out when we all have shots like that? But more importantly, who cares!

In my personal opinion, I think it is fun to catch unusual stuff. It makes a shot better, and the experience is great. But i always try to make a good shot out of it. I think I do an okay job, but that isn't always possible. If it is technically correct, however, but the shot is bland, I will still probably post it. I don't think it casts a negative impact on my collection of images, it is just what you saw.

Going back to the original reject, I think that Nikos had a cool shot. I like it better than many other shots of sun lit GEVOs on this site (not that I have a problem with those, either; they just aren't my personal favorites). It had cool lighting (in my OPINION), a cool background building, and the power to push it over the top. That is my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671
When you finally branch away from shooting what you think is "important", you'll hopefully see it from my perspective.
I understand this is just an opinion, but why should he branch away from shooting what he thinks is "important"? So he can become a better photographer? Why can't he become a better photographer and shoot great power? Besides,what isn't important to you might be important to him, and vise-versa.
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #106
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Why did I submit that? Simply answer.. It was an SD60 and it was an HLCX! Those are very rare...
I'm not saying I shoot just for hopes that I am contacted by an agency.. It's simply a pleasant addition. That shot surely isn't my best..
This is getting pointless, but I will say before quitting that you can be sarcastic as you want about it, but what makes that shot a "pleasant edition" while my shot of the blue HLCX SD60 is a detraction from my "portfolio"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Then if you're familiar with selling images, why would you make a comment that agencies don't care about what is posted on RP? This is, of course, presuming you were contacted via RP.
All the sales have been to individuals, nothing spectacular. I keep my photostream interesting in a way I see fit, for example if you look you will not see many consecutive images of the same railroad or location and very few widecab GE's, atleast recently. I will not however alter my preferences to fit what is "popular".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I just had a problem with you thinking your method was right and mine was wrong.. I never implied mine was right, as that would be foolish.
Again, never said your method was wrong, rather your statements that your way was the only correct way, I think you have things flipped but I digress as you said theres not much more point running a dead horse over with a SD60......
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #107
trainboysd40
Senior Member
 
trainboysd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta on the CP Laggan Subdivision
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default

This thread is SO much fun to watch, please don't stop. I mean it.
__________________
got a D5 IIi and now he doesnt afread fo 12800 iSO
Youtube (Model Railway, Vlogs, Tutorials, and prototype)
My Website
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #108
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default

Hey Nikos

Are we going to see the original shot that started all this again? I liked it!

Missabefan
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #109
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

Walter S. gets a win for his post.

And let me just make one more comment, about the fact that roster shots are the easiest type of shot to take.

While its not that hard to click the shutter, its not exactly a cakewalk. More often than not the engines that do get a Tof24 aren't exactly common power. It's the challenge of getting to shoot that particular engine that is so neat, because now you have something that other people don't.

And for the record, I shoot artsy quite often, but I rarely post them to RP because I just don't feel like jumping through hoops if they reject it. And I'm sure I'll be taking much more "out of the box" type shots in the future when nothing excites me trackside anymore.

And please don't confuse which photography takes more skill, because tracking down good leaders, driving hundreds of miles to catch them, hoping for perfect sun, all while not trying to get screwed by uncontrollable events such as hitting detectors, meeting other trains, dying on hours, etc., is no walk in the park.

Alec
__________________
The future is uncertain, so take the shots now.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8714
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #110
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

I'm going to regret joining this cacocophy of flying fur, fangs and claws... but roster shots are NOT easy.

I'm not saying that they have more or less value than a beautiful scenic shot or some artsy fartsy nonsense (using "nonsense" in the most loving meaning of the word), but if you think they are easy, you have not really tried to get them.

1) Most terminals or other areas where engines are kept these days are off limits to fans.

2) The requirement that the light be perfect means that they can only be shot in brief windows of time during perfect sun days (just had this happen on Monday, where a unit I wanted a roster was parked in a place I could get to... and I saw the light would be great in about three hours... so I basically hung out in the area, grabbing some food and putzing around... only to arrive back at the spot about 1/2 an hour before the light would be sweet... and discovering that the unit had been moved).

3) Rare units have a tendency to be front coupled to other power.

4) Even if you can get in, locations where power is kept is often harder to get to than trackside spots where you can shoot the action.

All of which is not to say one is better or one is worse or you're a doody head for not thinking like me, just that you shouldn't dismiss the work that goes into a good roster shot.

I can't tell you how many times the wrong light has vexed me on this. (Like the times you manage to get a friend of a friend to get you access to a yard... and you're totally psyched, and then the contact calls and says, "You can come on by at 1PM on June 21 for an hour..." or you wake up on the morning that you got perfect light time access and see that it's cloudy outside.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #111
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

Freericks, thank you for the backup. And for the use of cacocophy haha.

I'm not a die hard roster guy but I do take them all the time, so I understand exactly, to a T, where you're coming from.

Personally, the worst thing to me is when the engine is in a perfect place minus a friggin pole sticking right in front of it...Too many times to count...

Alec
__________________
The future is uncertain, so take the shots now.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8714
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #112
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
And for the record, I shoot artsy quite often, but I rarely post them to RP because I just don't feel like jumping through hoops if they reject it. And I'm sure I'll be taking much more "out of the box" type shots in the future when nothing excites me trackside anymore.
Post them! By looking through your shots on this site, I like them. I wish you would post more often! If you get a rejection, so be it.
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #113
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I'm going to regret joining this cacocophy of flying fur, fangs and claws... but roster shots are NOT easy.

I'm not saying that they have more or less value than a beautiful scenic shot or some artsy fartsy nonsense (using "nonsense" in the most loving meaning of the word), but if you think they are easy, you have not really tried to get them.

1) Most terminals or other areas where engines are kept these days are off limits to fans.

2) The requirement that the light be perfect means that they can only be shot in brief windows of time during perfect sun days (just had this happen on Monday, where a unit I wanted a roster was parked in a place I could get to... and I saw the light would be great in about three hours... so I basically hung out in the area, grabbing some food and putzing around... only to arrive back at the spot about 1/2 an hour before the light would be sweet... and discovering that the unit had been moved).

3) Rare units have a tendency to be front coupled to other power.

4) Even if you can get in, locations where power is kept is often harder to get to than trackside spots where you can shoot the action.

All of which is not to say one is better or one is worse or you're a doody head for not thinking like me, just that you shouldn't dismiss the work that goes into a good roster shot.

I can't tell you how many times the wrong light has vexed me on this. (Like the times you manage to get a friend of a friend to get you access to a yard... and you're totally psyched, and then the contact calls and says, "You can come on by at 1PM on June 21 for an hour..." or you wake up on the morning that you got perfect light time access and see that it's cloudy outside.
The actual photography of a roster shot is easy though. Why? Because it is the same for almost every locomotive. Same angle or two, same cropping, and same composition. Once you get it, you just repeat. Everything else you mentioned would be classified under luck. When I go out and hike to a mountain top, its luck that brings the train and the sun.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #114
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
The actual photography of a roster shot is easy though. Why? Because it is the same for almost every locomotive. Same angle or two, same cropping, and same composition. Once you get it, you just repeat. Everything else you mentioned would be classified under luck. When I go out and hike to a mountain top, its luck that brings the train and the sun.
Yes, but that's like saying that having relations with a super model is easy once you get her to marry you.

Once you get it, you just repeat.

(Honestly, I'm not trying to belittle gorgeous scenic shots even one iota... I love them, I think you're a master at them, and I believe it takes a hell of a lot of work to get them... I'm just saying, that dismissing the roster as easy, especially in today's environment, is not a realistic action.)

Last edited by Freericks; 09-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #115
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Yes, but that's like saying that having relations with a super model is easy once you get her to marry you.

Once you get it, you just repeat.
Yes sir. The main point is composition doesn't change where shooting different RR images it does.

But with photography in general you need to learn good technical skills and knowledge of light. If your a roster shooter you need to get a handle on good angles.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #116
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Yes sir. The main point is composition doesn't change where shooting different RR images it does.

But with photography in general you need to learn good technical skills and knowledge of light. If your a roster shooter you need to get a handle on good angles.
I don't disagree with a word you say here.

Are we arguing?

This sort of feels like saying because it's hard to dig the holes for a line of fence posts, it's not hard to paint a roof. They're both hard.

Last edited by Freericks; 09-29-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #117
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I don't disagree with a word you say here.

Are we arguing?

.
Hahaha. I would hope not. I was just clarifying the difference between luck and technical skills.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong - "I don't care what you shoot".
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #118
khalucha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 425
Default

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought shots were taken a certain way because the photographer was trying to share his view on something that he/she saw. Some people, in my opinion, think that RP guidelines is like the rule of the photography and that is one of a few reasons why I only have one picture on here. If I go out and take pictures, when time permits and it is not 110+ out, I want to take them the way I want to.

If you want to submit all of your photos on here then I guess you better learn to take pictures the way they want then. I think you both have great shots in the DB, but to start calling out each other and posting their "bad" shots, well you can go all day long posting poor shots in your opinions of everyone here in the DB. It is a hobby guys, not everyone is going to agree with your photos. Who cares, go out and do what you do and enjoy the most, TAKE PICTURES!


Going back to my hole.
__________________
Kevin
Phoenix, Arizona

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #119
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Nikos, Chase, I really enjoyed watching the fray. I would say though, decide when you want to argue and have one heckuva time arguing, but when it isn't worth arguing, let it go. I'm not sure this wasn't one of the latter.
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #120
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
And please don't confuse which photography takes more skill, because tracking down good leaders, driving hundreds of miles to catch them, hoping for perfect sun, all while not trying to get screwed by uncontrollable events such as hitting detectors, meeting other trains, dying on hours, etc., is no walk in the park.

Alec
I didnt want to post anymore in this thread, everything has already been settled "out of court", but what Alec said is exactly the challenges of power shooting. I can tell you many storys even in my short time chasing about successes that we never thought would happen but things turned right at the last moment, or those other times where everything seemed lined up but the whole chase ended up a complete failure. I have a buddy that I often chase consists with who only does video, must have the train with atleast half noselight and 80% sidelight and going over 25 mph, makes shooting photos seem easy but he's been at it for many years so knows how to do it.

A story about the particular HLCX 5992. About a month earlier the same unit was set to lead a 175 out of Atlanta, the call time seemed to be near perfect, 5 AM out of Inman Yard and my buddy who shoots video was pretty excited about it, since out of all the incredibly rare power he had shot, he had never got a blue HLCX SD60 on the point.
However the next morning the weather was not what we were expecting. In Atlanta it seemed it was mainly high level fog, the sort of clouds that normally burn off by 9 AM, and the sun was already burning through them. As we head south though the weather deteriorates and by the time we are in a place to shoot the train it is completely fogged in. My video buddy turns back because there is no hope of sun, me and and another friend I was chasing with decide since its foggy may as well try one shot since we are down there.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...spx?id=2202163
Dark blue units and fog dont mix, and we go home not all too happy, especially since there was a 119 following the 175 with a GMTX leader that we didnt even try for.

Fast forward a couple weeks to when the shot I posted earlier was taken. Again the 5992 was scheduled to lead a 52A grain train, it looked like it was going to run at a good time once again, with a 5 AM call time out of Atlanta. However that morning we find that the call time has been bumped up to 8 AM, which would normally mean the train would not leave town till 10 pm. So once again my video buddy decides that its not feasible to shoot it since he has a meeting at 11 PM. My only option at that point is to shoot it in downtown since I dont have a car while im in Atlanta. When I get trackside to my dismay I found that instead of swapping crews in the yard, they are changing downtown, and its only 8:30. That leaves me with only one spot to shoot the train with noselight, and I hope that they will hold off till the shadows fully peeled off the tracks. No such luck, at 8:50 with a blast of the P5 horn, 52A is off. None of us could believe a train, especially a grain train got moving only 50 minutes after call time. Again no one is a happy camper but atleast this time I got something. Hopefully I'll get another crack at the unit but not banking on it.

Hopefully that gives some insight into what power chasing is all about, I've only been doing it for a year or so, some of my friends from the Atlanta area have been doing it for years, and can tell some amazing storys about what they had to go through to get some of those consists CSX and NS ran back in the early 2000's.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #121
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
I didnt want to post anymore in this thread, everything has already been settled "out of court", but what Alec said is exactly the challenges of power shooting. I can tell you many storys even in my short time chasing about successes that we never thought would happen but things turned right at the last moment, or those other times where everything seemed lined up but the whole chase ended up a complete failure. I have a buddy that I often chase consists with who only does video, must have the train with atleast half noselight and 80% sidelight and going over 25 mph, makes shooting photos seem easy but he's been at it for many years so knows how to do it.

A story about the particular HLCX 5992. About a month earlier the same unit was set to lead a 175 out of Atlanta, the call time seemed to be near perfect, 5 AM out of Inman Yard and my buddy who shoots video was pretty excited about it, since out of all the incredibly rare power he had shot, he had never got a blue HLCX SD60 on the point.
However the next morning the weather was not what we were expecting. In Atlanta it seemed it was mainly high level fog, the sort of clouds that normally burn off by 9 AM, and the sun was already burning through them. As we head south though the weather deteriorates and by the time we are in a place to shoot the train it is completely fogged in. My video buddy turns back because there is no hope of sun, me and and another friend I was chasing with decide since its foggy may as well try one shot since we are down there.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...spx?id=2202163
Dark blue units and fog dont mix, and we go home not all too happy, especially since there was a 119 following the 175 with a GMTX leader that we didnt even try for.

Fast forward a couple weeks to when the shot I posted earlier was taken. Again the 5992 was scheduled to lead a 52A grain train, it looked like it was going to run at a good time once again, with a 5 AM call time out of Atlanta. However that morning we find that the call time has been bumped up to 8 AM, which would normally mean the train would not leave town till 10 pm. So once again my video buddy decides that its not feasible to shoot it since he has a meeting at 11 PM. My only option at that point is to shoot it in downtown since I dont have a car while im in Atlanta. When I get trackside to my dismay I found that instead of swapping crews in the yard, they are changing downtown, and its only 8:30. That leaves me with only one spot to shoot the train with noselight, and I hope that they will hold off till the shadows fully peeled off the tracks. No such luck, at 8:50 with a blast of the P5 horn, 52A is off. None of us could believe a train, especially a grain train got moving only 50 minutes after call time. Again no one is a happy camper but atleast this time I got something. Hopefully I'll get another crack at the unit but not banking on it.

Hopefully that gives some insight into what power chasing is all about, I've only been doing it for a year or so, some of my friends from the Atlanta area have been doing it for years, and can tell some amazing storys about what they had to go through to get some of those consists CSX and NS ran back in the early 2000's.
This is what we all go through. It's called luck. It's called being there no matter what and hoping things turn out. No wonder you have such a hard time, you guys go home at a drop of a hat.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #122
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
This is what we all go through. It's called luck. It's called being there no matter what and hoping things turn out.
Frankly, it's also what makes it fun. If every outing turned out perfectly and getting great shots (whether artistic or power shooterist) were a snap, then we'd all do this twice and then move on to something else.

The hunt, the likelyhood of failure, and the thrill of victory are all contributing factors to railfanning.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #123
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Frankly, it's also what makes it fun. If every outing turned out perfectly and getting great shots (whether artistic or power shooterist) were a snap, then we'd all do this twice and then move on to something else.

The hunt, the likelyhood of failure, and the thrill of victory are all contributing factors to railfanning.
Agreed 100%.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #124
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Frankly, it's also what makes it fun. If every outing turned out perfectly and getting great shots (whether artistic or power shooterist) were a snap, then we'd all do this twice and then move on to something else.

The hunt, the likelyhood of failure, and the thrill of victory are all contributing factors to railfanning.
Great points. I think that should be the mentality of everyone. We all share the same hobby, albeit in different aspects sometimes. But every part is related and challenging in some way. And besides, it is really fun to find good shots and catch awesome power!
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #125
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

Travis, honestly it's not nearly the same thing. All you need is a train. For those of us who prefer to show our work with the "cherry on top" need power. Power=Not easy anymore, Trains=Relatively easy.

Course' there is a bunch of luck between the two styles, but you need a much more vast type for the power portion of foaming.

Heres my little "didn't happen like it should have" moment that is extremely recent(Last 24 hours).

CP 199, one of the hottest trains on the railroad, had the CP 5612 on the point (Extremely early and rare CP SD40-2) and is a relatively timely train. So I was ready to shoot this train, 661(CP 5910,CP 6025,ICE 6429), and 499(CITX 3092,CITX 2792,SOO 6042) in the afternoon down near Red Wing vicinity. Turns out the CP has a work window, which pushes the call back of 199 at Portage, which halts all the trains behind it as well. So instead of shooting three trains with awesome power I ended up watching in horror as the calls kept getting postponed...

Alec
__________________
The future is uncertain, so take the shots now.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8714
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.