Old 11-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR
Default Train Station Photography

I have a major issue when going to a train station to grab a few shots. The railroad here (Metro North/NJ Transit) has every single parking space as a permit only or pay to park (16 hour minimum) its crazy. You can't park anywhere without the risk of being towed. Anyone else having a similar issue around the country? I think its a little overboard, as this makes it impossible to park for an 1 hour so to take some pictures.

My videos on youtube
My pictures on Railpictures
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJRR View Post
I have a major issue when going to a train station to grab a few shots. The railroad here (Metro North/NJ Transit) has every single parking space as a permit only or pay to park (16 hour minimum) its crazy. You can't park anywhere without the risk of being towed. Anyone else having a similar issue around the country? I think its a little overboard, as this makes it impossible to park for an 1 hour so to take some pictures.
They're commuter railroads what should they do?! I know some stations on the NJCL have free parking on weekends but during the week the goal is to cater to paying customers and make money off people using the lot when demand for parking is high.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

It seems that a lot of passenger rail companies are making it difficult for railfans to photograph trains. Amtrak recently banned photographers from taking photos from station platforms, unless a ticket was present. I've found this to be pretty crazy, but I imagine they have their reasons.

I've also heard NJ Transmit gives photogs a hard time. I think someone has a video of NJ Transit giving a railfan a hard time on Rail-Videos.net, maybe? I could be wrong. All I recall is an NJ Transit employee yelling something at a railfan.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
crazytiger

I thought this would be a thread about how to take shots of stations.
I live on the ex-Southern. We have some pretty cool-looking stations.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
It seems that a lot of passenger rail companies are making it difficult for railfans to photograph trains. Amtrak recently banned photographers from taking photos from station platforms, unless a ticket was present. I've found this to be pretty crazy, but I imagine they have their reasons.

I've also heard NJ Transmit gives photogs a hard time. I think someone has a video of NJ Transit giving a railfan a hard time on Rail-Videos.net, maybe? I could be wrong. All I recall is an NJ Transit employee yelling something at a railfan.

Chase
Really? Is this just at a certain station?

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
trainmaster_1

Quote:

Chase
Chase, that video you mention was on youtube, female NJ employee was yelling at the guy that taking pictures of trains is illegal at the station platform. I was almost ticketed once while working on the GO Train but that's another story.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
FastFlyingVirginian

Quote:

Chase
TRAINS Magazine has had a couple of good columns on the subject recently. The gist I remember was that when a spokesperson was pressed to elaborate on the rule they pointed out that it applied to stations owned and operated by Amtrak. I also recall that the Amtrak Chief Of Police said that his officers had better things to do than enforce that rule, or words to that effect. If I can dig up which issue that was I'll report back.

When the company spokesperson wants to backpedal under questioning, and the guy in charge of the enforcement says 'I've got better things to do', it makes me wonder who is really coming up with stuff like this. The authors of these overly vague, poorly written 'laws' need to be called out.

- Dave Ferrell
FastFlyingVirginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
trainsrock

http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=5083
I think this was the video Chase was talking about.
trainsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsrock View Post
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=5083
I think this was the video Chase was talking about.
I particularly like this comment:

Quote:
Posted by Chris on July 15, 2009

I would have to admit. That is a little too close! My good retired railroad engineer friend would have a heart attack if he saw railfans THAT close to the tracks.
Really? Does his retired railroad engineer friend have heart attacks as well when he sees people standing on a busy street corner just a few feet away from traffic? I just find it amazing that people freak out about standing a few feet away from a moving object that's on a FIXED PATH, but don't think twice about standing on a street corner as cars, buses and trucks, which could veer of their course at any moment, roll by just a few feet away.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I particularly like this comment:"I would have to admit. That is a little too close! My good retired railroad engineer friend would have a heart attack if he saw railfans THAT close to the tracks."

Really? Does his retired railroad engineer friend have heart attacks as well when he sees people standing on a busy street corner just a few feet away from traffic? I just find it amazing that people freak out about standing a few feet away from a moving object that's on a FIXED PATH, but don't think twice about standing on a street corner as cars, buses and trucks, which could veer of their course at any moment, roll by just a few feet away.
The best part is that the "railfans" were no where near that close. The camera on a tripod was.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

If you owned a business, would you want people not buying your services coming to your business and just standing around and getting in the way of your paying customers? On top of that it is a insurance risk and liability.

Also, many laws are formed so that they can be inforced if they need to be. If there is no law then they can't tell you that you can't be there. Also, if there is no law, it would be easier for you to sue them if something happened opposed to the law stating that you were trespassing.

I think it is also a big city issue more then anything else.

Last edited by travsirocz; 12-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
trainmaster_1

Quote:
I particularly like this comment:

Really ? Would you be standing close if a train derails ? Or get your one of your limbs cut off or get knocked to the ground by flying debris like metal chains or tie down straps off a freight car ?

CN Conductor

Last edited by trainmaster_1; 12-23-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
Really ? Would you be standing close if a train derails ? Or get your one of your limbs cut off or get knocked to the ground by flying debris like metal chains or tie down straps off a freight car ?
If a train derails and takes me out because I was standing too close, then I was MEANT TO DIE THERE.

The odds of a vehicle on the road swerving and taking you out are astronomically higher than the odds of a train randomly derailing in the exact place you happened to be standing. Yet...no one ever says, "Oh my god, look how close those people are standing to the traffic speeding by!!"

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
trainmaster_1

Quote:
If a train derails and takes me out because I was standing too close, then I was MEANT TO DIE THERE.

The odds of a vehicle on the road swerving and taking you out are astronomically higher than the odds of a train randomly derailing in the exact place you happened to be standing. Yet...no one ever says, "Oh my god, look how close those people are standing to the traffic speeding by!!"
Good point.

CN Conductor

Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Imagine living next to an airport runway.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

that would be fun if you love air liners, and alteast you dont need an alarm clock

My videos on youtube
My pictures on Railpictures

Last edited by MNJRR; 12-24-2009 at 12:48 AM.
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Imagine living next to an airport runway.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
PArailfan

Makes me glad I don't live in a big city. My town only has a small Amtrak kiosk with a few seats.
PArailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Quote:

Chase
Not quite. From my understanding that rule only applies to restricted areas. These are stations were you need a ticket to be on the platform. I don't believe the restriction applies at country stations or open air stations were people can come and go.

If you have a ticket, you may take pictures of the train your boarding, just no tripods.

But in reality, I can think of many better places than the platforms of Penn Station NY and Baltimore.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote