Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Torpedo423

Question CSX Emergency Call?

So, I was out railfanning tonight at St. Denis, when I hear a train call heading my way. I set up the camera, and wait. Not to long after the train appears pulling the unpleastent load of good 'ol smelly trash, but as it was approaching, about 30 seconds after I started the camera, I get this call over the scanner. "CSX 8247 Operator B down! (x3) ---- Man down! CSX 8247 Operator A down! (x3)" What does this mean? Im assuming its some kind of emergency call. Not exactly sure though.

Here is the first 30 seconds from that video, in which you can clearly hear the call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oi2-FJ-kqA
Torpedo423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
nikos1

Lol no, its just a automated thing that the Remote control yard units do, dont know the details but its not an emergency. Here we have operator B.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

It's a "man down" test. They are required to do it once a shift or more by either company policy or FRA Policy, I am not sure what.

Those Remote Control beltpacks have sensors that detect rapid movement of the beltpack or impact and issue the "CSX xxxx Operator A (or B) is Down" over the radio to alert the people on the yard channel that the RC Operator is down. It's a safety thing.

You will hear these sorts of things in any yard that has RCO operations.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's a "man down" test. They are required to do it once a shift or more by either company policy or FRA Policy, I am not sure what.

Those Remote Control beltpacks have sensors that detect rapid movement of the beltpack or impact and issue the "CSX xxxx Operator A (or B) is Down" over the radio to alert the people on the yard channel that the RC Operator is down. It's a safety thing.

You will hear these sorts of things in any yard that has RCO operations.
To add to what Troy said, the "man down" test is also transmitted every time the crew go to work on that particular RCO locomotive. So while you heard "man down", it didn't necessarily mean one of the employees had fallen, but instead testing/activating their pack before starting yard operations.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
J

To clarify, this is part of the tilt feature found on all operator control units. If the box is tilted more than a certain amount - believe it is 45 degrees - the feature will send a warning tone to the crewmember and if the box is not righted immediately will apply a penalty application of the air brakes. The operator can temporarily nullify the feature in order to tie a shoelace or operate a ground throw switch.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
To clarify, this is part of the tilt feature found on all operator control units. If the box is tilted more than a certain amount - believe it is 45 degrees - the feature will send a warning tone to the crewmember and if the box is not righted immediately will apply a penalty application of the air brakes. The operator can temporarily nullify the feature in order to tie a shoelace or operate a ground throw switch.
It's more than 45 degrees before you get the warning tone, after that you have 4 seconds to return it to the upright position, if you don't she will dump. There's a button called "time" that allows you up to 30 seconds to do whatever you need with the box tilted before it reverts back.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote