Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Rev Ed

Default Anything wrong with these pictures?

Does anyone see any issues with these pictures before I submit them for approval to RailPictures?

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P42 #910 in Niagara Falls.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	4707   Click image for larger version

Name:	GO Train F9 #538.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	4708  
Rev Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Ween

Both are not level and suffer from poor lighting. I'll add Bad Cropping on the second one as the tail end of the train is cut off.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

There's a fence between you and the train n the second shot, as well as what Ween mentioned. The VIA shot is closer, which is like saying the Atlanta Braves were closer to making the playoffs than the Chicago Cubs. Neither team made them.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Rev Ed

Okay on the second picture - I can see that the Admin may not like the fence (not that I could actually do anything to move the fence out of the way before I took the picture.) As for poor lighting, and it being "unlevel" - how is it poor lighting as one can clearly see everything in it? As for being unlevel - how is unlevel and how do I fix it if it?

As for cropping, neither is cropped.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Ed View Post
Okay on the second picture - I can see that the Admin may not like the fence (not that I could actually do anything to move the fence out of the way before I took the picture.) As for poor lighting, and it being "unlevel" - how is it poor lighting as one can clearly see everything in it? As for being unlevel - how is unlevel and how do I fix it if it?

As for cropping, neither is cropped.
You've got lots to learn! That's ok, we all start somewhere.

Lighting is more than just being able to see things. Put differently, RP does not accept a shot just because it was not shot in total darkness. In general, the more basic the picture, the better the light has to be for it to be acceptable to RP. So for a shot like this, you want it to be sunny, not overcast, and you want the sun to light up both the nose and the visible side of the shot. On some days an RP-acceptable basic shot just isn't possible.

Unlevel means the camera was not level when the shot was taken. Notice that things that should be vertical in the GO shot are not, everything is tilted to the left. So one must rotate the GO image clockwise until things are good.

Cropping means did you include what should be included and exclude what should not. Cropping happens both in-camera, when you decide what is within the frame when you push the shutter, and in post-processing, when you make adjustments by cutting off from some combination of top/bottom/left/right. Obviously at the processing stage one cannot add! One can when one is shooting, by stepping back or zooming out.

So you can't fix the crop on the GO because you didn't capture it in the camera to begin with. On the VIA I find the orange post on the right edge distracting and I would crop that out.

Lots to learn, keep at it, it isn't easy but once you get over the initial hurdle it is quite rewarding. (For that matter, it isn't that hard either, but it isn't trivial.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Rev Ed

Unlevel is something that is very subjective. For example, in the GO picture, one person may call it "unlevel" while others - like myself - call it realistic. The GO shot is of a train in motion, thus it should look like it is going into the distance (which is what it was doing.)

As for lighting - I have posted pictures that were rejected because the sun was "too high". I can never seem to win - either there is "not enough" light (even when the locomotive/train is clearly shown in the picture) or "too much" light (as in the sun is out.)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Rev Ed,

I know criticism has a sting to it, and thus I do understand your reaction, but please understand that you did request advice and the advice that you were given was not only all good, but presented in the spirit of collegiality.

The picture is leaning unnaturally and the day was overcast. High sun is another bad lighting condition. Good lighting conditions are sunny days in the morning or late afternoon, or anytime during a sunny day in winter. Rain and snow actually also make for interesting lighting conditions if they are heavy enough to register on the image.

Best of luck with your photography.

CF

Last edited by Freericks; 10-06-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You've got lots to learn! That's ok, we all start somewhere.
I have to agree with Janusz , besides even if you level it and try to crop it, you will get dinged for the poor lighting.
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Unlevel is something that is very subjective. For example, in the GO picture, one person may call it "unlevel" while others - like myself - call it realistic. The GO shot is of a train in motion, thus it should look like it is going into the distance (which is what it was doing.)
Well, actually, no. Two comments. First, the narrow one. RP likes shots that are level in the non-subjective sense. Now with horizontal lines that are not parallel to the sensor plane, that can be tricky sometimes. But verticals are always vertical, in the center (and everywhere if the shot is perspective adjusted). If you want a shot on RP you need to follow that definition of level.

Second, the wider one. The rules of perspective have been well known for centuries. Here, the lines of the train will converge into the distance. They will do that regardless of whether the shot is level or not. So, in that sense, they convey motion in that they convey distance. Maybe that is what you mean, I don't know.

Now, as an artistic matter, you can choose whatever orientation you like that conveys your vision (and so might be level to you in a subjective sense). You may feel that an engine tilted at an up-angle conveys the feeling of motion that you want. Just be informed that such non-level orientations are not accepted at RP.

Quote:
As for lighting - I have posted pictures that were rejected because the sun was "too high". I can never seem to win - either there is "not enough" light (even when the locomotive/train is clearly shown in the picture) or "too much" light (as in the sun is out.)
"not enough" light does not mean whether the engine can be seen. As I said before, the issue is not total darkness! The issue is proper exposure. Submitted shots can be properly exposed, overexposed, or underexposed. "High sun" is a separate issue, going to the issue of unpleasant harshness of light and undesirable shadows at the truck level.

It can be frustrating. Part of that frustration, I think for people unfamiliar with RP, is that they don't realize that on some days a standard wedgie shot is simply not going to make it onto RP because the light was not suitable that day to meet RP's standard. Some days one is trackside and one just has to accept that whatever one standard train shots one shoots that day are not getting onto RP.

Like your GO train, in my estimation.

Again, good luck, this is intended to be informative, not to put you down.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Unlevel is something that is very subjective.
Now that is a new one. Not just subjective, but very subjective.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:

Do the poles in the background really lean that much to the left?

High sun relates to the sun's position (thus leaving long shadows, and unlit trucks, etc.), not the amount of light. Too much (amount) of light would be hit with over exposed.

As J said, you have a lot to learn. Just stay open to constructive critizism and keep the right attitude and we'll be more than happy to help.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
lock4244

It's has already been said that you need some improvement, however the sun has not helped any of us much lately in the Golden Horseshoe!

Just to nitpick, the GO Transit locomotive is an F59PH... you have it commented as an F9.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
crazytiger

I completely understand where you are coming from. Meet me 6 months ago. But through this forum and some other help I have improved a little. If you don't accept what RP wants on anything, you'll get rejected. Don't feel bad about it. 100% of the 18 pics I have uploaded so far have been rejected. One is in the queue as I type and I hope it will get accepted. But who knows. Try to improve and have a mind to learn. This is the one that is in the queue:

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
dejv

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
One is in the queue as I type and I hope it will get accepted. But who knows. Try to improve and have a mind to learn. This is the one that is in the queue:
Too much noise/grain in the sky.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
newmarket111

I feel for you Rev Ed, I have submitted sporadicaliy for the past year, nothing posted to show for it. The standards are high, in these shots lighting will get you, must be morning or late afternoon sunlight; hey that's what makes it a great challenge.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
djbrown

well, Obviously at the processing stage one cannot add.