Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
nikos1

Default Cloudy but not exactly common power

With cloudy day shots now seemingly being accepted left and right I thought I would give this old shot another try, but still no dice. I dont think anyone will ever shoot a pair of CR B40-8's together since there are only 3 left and running long hood forward at this. I think I did a fair job of processing and my sky is not completely white like some shots I have seen recently. Thoughts? Should I give it another 5 years?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=783218429

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

I'd give another five years. I think it is a better cloudy day shot than some of the ones that have gotten on lately though.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
coborn35

I like it!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
baldwin8

To me, it just comes off as too dark overall and detering me from wanting a closer look than just as a thumbnail.

You have a lot of great shots on rp.

Last edited by baldwin8; 09-22-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: after thoughts
baldwin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
JRMDC

There might be enough cloud variation for BW to work - the attached isn't an exhaustive attempt but maybe it triggers some ideas for you. I don't think this is a rescue BW, I think there is some potential in the tonal variation for an interesting result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3865b.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	5798  

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
There might be enough cloud variation for BW to work - the attached isn't an exhaustive attempt but maybe it triggers some ideas for you. I don't think this is a rescue BW, I think there is some potential in the tonal variation for an interesting result.
I think it looks and fits with the scene better in B&W.. Still the scene is pretty cool. The color is ( as everyone else has said ) is too much. B&W seems like it stands a better chance IMHO.

- Ian Hapsias
Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

I really like the color version with the exception of the haloing around the trees in the sky.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
troy12n
Banned

Looks underexposed in addition to being dark/cloudy. And oversaturated. Conrail blue was never THAT blue.

Almost looks kind of HDR'ish

I do like the location and composition.

You can tell it's Georgia because it seems that is where CSX has relegated all those B40-8's.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Diamond D

the color and image quality are very bad/strange, did you use any noise reduction or other filter on it?
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
nikos1

The image quality is probably just the result of a cloudy day and having a point n shoot that i dont really like taking above ISO 100. It was quite a dark and miserable day I remember, wasnt even planning on going railfanning, just stopped by on the way to some errands and watch this unfold infront of me. Had a hard time trying to get the photos to come out right, had to underexpose a bit to keep some detail in the sky, which probably didnt help the IQ.
@J, B&W isnt really what I want with this shot, nor do I know if I have the processing room with the quality the way it is, defeats the point of having two blues in either case.
Does this version look any better? I took the saturation down a notch, I agree it was a bit much but trying my best to salvage the shot from the conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSX Athens 1-28-09 057edit5web.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	901.4 KB
ID:	5799  

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
coborn35

I like the way it looks dark and gloomy.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
crazytiger

I really like it, but I am not sure it'll get on RP, kinda reminds me of the shot that is Joe's Avy.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
jdirelan87

This photo can easily make it into the database. The only thing holding it back is the horrible post processing. If you're using a P&S, I suspect that means you also have a low end editing program. Pass the original off to somebody who knows their way around Photoshop and it shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 mins.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
This photo can easily make it into the database. The only thing holding it back is the horrible post processing. If you're using a P&S, I suspect that means you also have a low end editing program. Pass the original off to somebody who knows their way around Photoshop and it shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 mins.
John, you may not be familiar with Nikos, the guy has almost 400 shots on RP, we all can use some help from time to time but he is hardly ignorant of post processing.

From the EXIF it looks like he uses PS CS 4.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
nikos1

Quote:

And I guess here we have someone with a high end camera and a overinflated ego, what a shocker......
Ive been using photoshop for several years and I know my way around it just fine thank you very much. If you think the post processing is so horrible, ill post the original here and you can do whatever magic tricks you have up your sleeve.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #16
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
And I guess here we have someone with a high end camera and a overinflated ego, what a shocker......
Ive been using photoshop for several years and I know my way around it just fine thank you very much. If you think the post processing is so horrible, ill post the original here and you can do whatever magic tricks you have up your sleeve.
I don't think its an unfair assumption that if you have a point and shoot camera, you're also using a lower end editing program and by extension that you don't have much experience editing.... especially if you're asking for editing help.

I'd take a crack at it if you posted the original, full size image. As for a high end camera and overinflated ego; always a pretty common defense from somebody who need to justify to themselves why they haven't invested in a higher end camera and/or editting program.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Don't feel bad, thats the same guy that would rip 13 year old kids posting their pictures in the Teen Railfan Group on Trains.com a few years back.
What is the relevancy of placing an age in your post? Age is irrelevant in this hobby. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed regardless of where one submits his/her images. The person receiving the criticism should be able to respectfully accept it. That seems to be the problem with younger people.

Quote:
I don't think its an unfair assumption that if you have a point and shoot camera, you're also using a lower end editing program and by extension that you don't have much experience editing.... especially if you're asking for editing help.

I'd take a crack at it if you posted the original, full size image. As for a high end camera and overinflated ego; always a pretty common defense from somebody who need to justify to themselves why they haven't invested in a higher end camera and/or editting program.
Agreed with John on this account. His statements are not necessarily implying you cannot afford a high-end SLR (therefore also not being able to afford a decent post processing software), but could also be implying that one simply doesn't have enough of an interest in the hobby to pursue more professional gear.

Certainly nothing to take offense to..

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #18
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
What is the relevancy of placing an age in your post? Age is irrelevant in this hobby. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed regardless of where one submits his/her images. The person receiving the criticism should be able to respectfully accept it. That seems to be the problem with younger people.

Chase
Oh step off the high horse already Chase, its making me sick. Theres no need for a grown man to rip on young kids showing their pictures to each other in a teen forum when they are simply sharing for fun. I guess from now on anything you do on here I will criticize sarcastically and negatively.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

Agreed with John on this account. His statements are not necessarily implying you cannot afford a high-end SLR (therefore also not being able to afford a decent post processing software), but could also be implying that one simply doesn't have enough of an interest in the hobby to pursue more professional gear.

Certainly nothing to take offense to..

Chase
Or that I dont have my parents buying me the latest camera gear.......

Oh and since we are criticizing post processing.....
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 338296
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

At least mine looks somewhat like reality and I cant see spots of grain on the unit on mine.....

Last edited by nikos1; 09-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
nikos1

Quote:

Hmmmm, maybe the fact that I have 400 pictures on here might say that I know a thing or two about post processing? I've had to teach some friends the basics of post processing so they could get shots accepted here.
Needs to justiy? I don't have a damned thing to justify, I dont need higher end equipment, I can take perfectly good pictures with what I have. Sure a SLR would be nice at some point but I have bigger things to deal with at this point. Don't know what you do for your equipment but we cant all be like your buddy Chase who is "homeschooled" and therefore probably not working and his parents foot the bill for his top of the line equipment.
Here is the original image file, do whatever magic you have up your sleeve sir.
http://uslw.net/content/members/nikos/CSX Athens 1-28-09 057.jpg

Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Your processing made it darker then it was. Your almost got an HDR look or maybe way to much contrast? Cool shot otherwise. I think maybe you were trying to process the sky globally instead of selectively?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #22
coborn35

Don't feel bad, thats the same guy that would rip 13 year old kids posting their pictures in the Teen Railfan Group on Trains.com a few years back.

Last edited by coborn35; 09-23-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #23
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
To be fair to John, he also rips late 30s railfans due to their grammar.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10780
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
To be fair to John, he also rips late 30s railfans due to their grammar.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10780
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #25
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I'm a fan of the exaggerated color on cloudy day pictures.

I think that this pictures color temperature and makeup really expresses a feeling of doom and gloom, which I think is consistent with the composition of the picture.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote