Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > General Railroad Discussion Forums > Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: How doy uo grade your work? (Be honest)
A 2 6.45%
B 15 48.39%
C 14 45.16%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default How Do You Grade Your Photos

A little fun for the forum. How do you grade your photos. Do you grade yourself as a photographer or your photos in general (either or) A, B, C, D, or F. Also post three of your photos (of your choice) and put under the titles - Excellent, Fair, and Bad.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
Frederick

This post has been removed by its poster.

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 04-03-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I gave myself a B but this is for my current status. This site has definitely halped me develope my skills. I can say that when I started posting (2003) I was around a high D maybe even a C because of the fact I have been shooting since I was little.

Excellent -

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 37805
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Canon EOS Rebel 2000 w/kodak 200 film on a Kodak Picture CD. My best composed photo that I have taken. Framed nicely with the fence, sign and trees. Engineer hanging out of the engine adds nice detail with good lighting and an amazing locomotive.

Fair-

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 113203
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Taken with Fuji Finepix S7000. Decent composition, good lighting, common power. Not too interesting.

Bad -

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 13503
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk

From Konica Picture CD taken with Canon EOS Rebel 2000 w/ Pathmark 200 film. Poor lighting, dark subject, unlevel, bad color, and poor composition.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 09-18-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
CNW4404

Send a message via AIM to CNW4404

I gave myself a B, based on what I have vs. what I can do. I'm pretty good at getting the train focused and in the middle (then a crop later)
I can't drive yet, so I'm pretty much stuck in my city without any really good photo spots. Compared to some of the stuff other people take, my shots are nothing near as good, but I'm just as happy with getting a real artistic shot as I am when I get a roster of a rare unit.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
busyEMT

I believe I have earned a C. When I look at my photos, at home after a day of railfanning, the best ones most times surprise me that I took them. Yeah, I think I have the basis for good photography... but I am no where near professional.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #6
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I give myself maybe a C, I've still got much to learn.

When I first joined on with RP.net, I thought it was really difficult to get photos into the database. But now I've got a pretty good idea of what it takes, or as some of you might say "the basics".

The next level at least in my opinion is adding photos to the database that people WANT to look at. That involves well thought out composition, excellent use of lighting, and scenery.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
ccaranna

Great thread, Andrew-

I'm my own worst critic. I gave myself a "B", but if you talk to me in 20 minutes, I'll give myself a "D".

On the whole, my stuff is "C" rated, but I think I deserve at least a C+ or B- these days.

Here's my three shots:

Excellent- (Screener's choice! )

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Fair- This one is OK...(I have a lot of these)

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Bad- This one is horribly top-lit, blurry, and grainy!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #8
bnsf sammy

F for me, I can't get any photos uploaded
well, now B since I got 3 photos uploaded

Last edited by bnsf sammy; 11-27-2005 at 08:14 PM.
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #9
Ween

Interesting topic, but it's hard to boil it all down to one grade as there are many, many variable to consider. For instance, when I compare any of my stuff taken in North Dakota vs. someone using the same equipment in someplace scenic like Tehachiapi, the Tehachiapi shots are always going to come out on top in creativity, appeal, depth, and wow-factor. It's just the nature of the beast on where you get to railfan. Unfortunately all the places I've lived have been flat and relatively boring: IL, OK, and ND.

As such, I feel that I lack creativity when it comes to composition. I give myself a C- in that aspect because when I am put in a scenic environment, I tend to want to photograph as if I were still in North Dakota because that's what I'm comfortable with. Oh to live in Colorado or someplace with mountains!

But being limited to the flat northern plains, I give myself a B in being able to get the most out of what I have to work with. It's hard to avoid wedgies when it's so flat, but I think I'm getting pretty proficient at taking them.

As far as post-processing, I'm still learning, but I've made leaps and bounds from where I was a year ago. I am still eager to get my hands on the Holy Grail of editting software: Photoshop whatever the latest edition is. For what I have and the results I get, I give myself a B-. If I were to use a more universal product like PS, I could better gauge my improvement since many proamatuers use PS.

For submitting to RP.net, I gotta give myself an A-. Because I'm a stats man, I went back and calculated my acceptence percentage since 15 Jul. As it stands right now, I'm 63 for 71, 89% accepted. That number does include the rejects that were overturned on appeal, and it illustrates I have an eye for what RP.net is looking for.

So, overall, who knows? I guess I'll go with a C+, just not quite on the peak of that ole bell curve...
Old 09-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Same here! But who knows, maybe I'll get some accepted once my digital camera arrives(yes, thats right, I finally ordered it!) and I don't have to go through my scanner.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy

I realize this is probably meant to be taken cynically. I provide this thought for the benefit of new hobbyists and old alike.

However, if you're taking pictures soley for the purpose of posting on RP.net. You're doing this "hobby" for the wrong reasons.

Sammy, I've seen many of your rejections, and trust me, they're nice photos. Not that I am anyone special, but I'd be proud to say any of those pictures are part of my collection.

RP.net while it is a great database with some excellent creative photography, and obvious publisher quality images is still not the "be all, end all" of RR photography.

The only person your photos should matter to, is guess who, yep, Old number one; You. If you are happy with them then so be it, if RP.net doesn't accept them it shouldn't be a big deal.

Time and time again we see people who post their photo rejections and turn it into a personal vendetta. Admittedly I did the same for a while, except for the forum part (I only joined about 4 months ago, long after I successfully posted to RP.net).

I think all of us as hobbyists owe it to our own mentors, and potential proteges to take a little more candid look at our own work and appreciate it ourselves first.

I personally believe that many of the screeners like and enjoy several of the photos they see and still reject. I refuse to believe that they dole out rejections on a personal level, with the exception of people that verbally (textually) assault them on these forums. At that point the would-be submitters deserve what they get.

If anyone really needs the external gratification of thousands of people seeing your photo, then make a website, pay the associated fees, and get it registered with Google, AOL, and all the major search engines. Add a counter script, and you're good to go.

Once again, I'm not trying to belittle any person's opinion or previous comments, just wanted to give some food for thought. And this is definitely not meant to be a "poke in the chest" type of post.

Cheers!
Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 09-18-2005 at 10:28 PM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
lucky77

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
If anyone really needs the external gratification of thousands of people seeing your photo, then make a website, pay the associated fees, and get it registered with Google, AOL, and all the major search engines. Add a counter script, and you're good to go.
Yep! Done that! (See signature!)

I gave myself a B. Owning a digital camera affords the luxury of taking any picture, anywhere, of anything, much more than our predecessors who used film! So out of the quantity that I shoot, I get a lot of quality pictures, although not all of them are RP.net material! So that's why I set up my website, to offer my photos for the world to view (and yes, people all around the world do view my site), of anything and everything I think is worthy of display!

Thanks for putting up this poll!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

I give myself a B.... Which is probably a little high considering the low amount of views on my latest couple of batches. I usually don't have too much to work with so that's why I don't give myself the C. I still definately have some to learn though. My best shots I compose pretty well but as I know more I will learn to use my camera better and find better spots. I am really into the 300 MM tele front end shots... I love the heat effect when I can get it.

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 116354
Photograph © Greg Dahbura

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 118837

I know lots of people don't like em but I often get forced with side lighting so I chose the nose shots as much as I can.

Here is an example of my very boring side shots:

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 117807

I do think though when I have a little to work with I get alright shots:

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 118832

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 118839

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 118867

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 116408

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 116175

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 116082

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 114449

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 114448

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 114407

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 113764

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 113763

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 113562

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 113449

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 112987

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 112138

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 112044

I think thats an alright collection of images. I have a few more that I think are this good.... I just think I take too many blah shots that hide the good ones. Same angles too.......... I will learn hopefully. BTW, sorry for boring you with my pictures.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

I'll give myself a B as well. I've got the luxury here of usually having a scenic area to shoot, but I don't have an SLR camera yet so there are certain shots I can't get. In the early days, a wedgie was just fine for me, but now I take more time to compose my shots and try to avoid wedgies if I can. There's a lot that I've learned and a lot I still have yet to learn in the art of photography. Now as far as the photo ratings are concerned...

Excellent:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
There are quite a few more in the collection, but I'll just use those two as examples. They're well composed, well lit, and much more desirable than a wedgie.

Average:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Neither one of these two are really much to write home about.

Bad:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Both of these shots, well, suck horribly and definitely wouldn't be accepted under today's standards at RP.

Last edited by cmherndon; 09-21-2005 at 09:24 PM.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #15
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnscalerailfan
I give myself a B.... Which is probably a little high considering the low amount of views...
I have noticed that common power shots don't get a lot of views,
Image © Aaron Florin
PhotoID: 115524
Photograph © Aaron Florin
(the oldest out of this batch, and only 95 views)
Image © Aaron Florin
PhotoID: 117251

Image © Aaron Florin
PhotoID: 117253

Image © Aaron Florin
PhotoID: 119105

but I think the quality of the photo is somewhere above average. I never really considered giving my self a better grade due the lack of photogenic scenery. But I like your progress, CM.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 AM   #16
mtrails

I, being my worst critic, give myself a C to C+. I am an average photographer, and though some of my photos I would grade an A, in the full scope of my photography skill, the photos I take are always off a degree in angle, a fraction of a second in timing, or 10 paces off the mark.

Thanks to the guidelines at RP, I have greatly increased my skill level as a photographer in general, and more so as a railfan photographer. I have always liked photography, and strive to acheive the excellence that makes taking a photograph, literally, awesome. <-That statement reinforces my grade.

Note: Two of my photos, selected as "screener's choice" I did not select as my excellent photo choice.

Excellent:
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 115984
Photograph © mtrails

From what I have learned, I took the time to evaluate the sun angle, the landscape, and all that I could include into the photo.

Good:
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 80148
Photograph © mtrails

Well, it's good...
I have many "good" photos, and I rank this photo among the higher of the good.

Poor:
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 78248
Photograph © mtrails

Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 83299
Photograph © mtrails

These two photos I grade the worst.
1. The train was at rest, and didn't consider the brush in the photo.
2. Why not the entire bridge?
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:42 AM   #17
jweber33

I give myself a low B, you would too if you lived in L.A.

60's - A low D: it was accepted back in the day when anything was.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

76's - in the C range: Most of my in-station shots would receive a 78. But I still like Metrolink over CSX or NS. A lot of my photos lack elevation, thus they are here.

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 113737
Photograph © Jeff Weber

88's - in the B range: Photos that are one egg away from a dozen. The second example needs more cars.

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 118409
Photograph © Jeff Weber

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 115452
Photograph © Jeff Weber

92's - Low A photos:

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 118404
Photograph © Jeff Weber

94's - The two best:

Image © Jeff Weber