Old 10-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default BNSF trains and storm clouds

Hey everyone. Unfortunately, most of the time I was in Pasco, the weather was overcast. However, all hope was not lost. To the north there were storm clouds which provided some photographic opportunities. Also, I stumbled upon a little railroad museum... though it wasn't much of a museum, just a line of vintage locomotives and rolling stock. Here are the best of the bunch in my opinion. Problems I see with these:
1st one: Cloudy lighting, sure, but it's vintage equipment, so... Also, perhaps it's a bit too dark?
2nd one: I think I might've screwed up the cropping. I can provide the original if needed... and I just noticed a bit of blurring, though maybe it's just me...
3rd one: Left side of the train is a bit too close to the edge of the frame... also, perhaps a bit too much noise?
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3543.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	9272
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3706.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	9273
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3719.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	9274
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 367
Default

Problems I see:
1. way too dark, old equipment yes, but nothing of particular focus or interest, cloudy light
2. probably the best of the three but very soft
3. cloudy lighting, very soft
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #3
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 637
Default

I would not try any of these, as the lighting is not good enough for what are common, 3/4 wedges. Not sure about the image quality either. Indeed the second and third shots do seem a bit blurry.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Rene de Vries
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
I would not try any of these, as the lighting is not good enough for what are common, 3/4 wedges. Not sure about the image quality either. Indeed the second and third shots do seem a bit blurry.
Yep, that's actually the way I see it as well..

Kind regards

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 367
Default

I can't tell if they are blurry from low shutter speed or just extremely soft. Maybe both. You will need to invest in some post processing software (photoshop, lightroom, gimp?, etc) in order to have a chance at getting something on RP is seems. That, and being to identify the light you have and how to use it.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Pkwlsn
Member
 
Pkwlsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 60
Default

It almost seems like the camera was 'hunting' for focus in the low light. These scenes might exceed the low light capabilities of your camera.
__________________
My Flickr
My RP.net
Pkwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #7
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

Once again you overlooked just how CRUCIAL light is to a photo. It just isn't working here.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default

It is very unfortunate that the light conditions lined up like this. However, I did see hope in the cloudy pictures. I saw the storm clouds and thought, "Maybe the dark storm clouds will make up for the cloudy light." I guess I was wrong.
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 407
Default

Storm clouds work best when they are in the background of a well-lit subject:

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 579008
Photograph © Doug Lilly


Your examples are just dark lighting.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default

Well, looking through the photos, I do have a picture of a well-lit subject. However, it does have quite a bit of noise... and a bit blurry. Unfortunately, this is how my camera handles lit up platforms in otherwise low light conditions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3582.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	9275
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Storm clouds work best when they are in the background of a well-lit subject:

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 579008
Photograph © Doug Lilly


Your examples are just dark lighting.
exactly...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #12
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Well, looking through the photos, I do have a picture of a well-lit subject. However, it does have quite a bit of noise... and a bit blurry. Unfortunately, this is how my camera handles lit up platforms in otherwise low light conditions.
Attachment 9275
Are you seriously suggesting this has any chance on rp?
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Are you seriously suggesting this has any chance on rp?
It was the only well-lit shot, and I know it would never have a chance, but I wanted to post it anyway in the very unlikely event that somehow it did.
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #14
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
It was the only well-lit shot, and I know it would never have a chance, but I wanted to post it anyway in the very unlikely event that somehow it did.
Less than zero chance
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 AM   #15
ATSF666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 127
Default

You really need to save your money or get a job and buy a better camera. Don't know what you are using, but..........
__________________
ATSF666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
You really need to save your money or get a job and buy a better camera. Don't know what you are using, but..........
And don't shoot in lighting conditions like that
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #17
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default

In other news...
Image © spacetrain1983
PhotoID: 593211
Photograph © spacetrain1983

Found the picture laying around in my photos from earlier in the year, and gave it a try, and voila!
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #18
wds
Senior Member
 
wds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
In other news...
Image © spacetrain1983
PhotoID: 593211
Photograph © spacetrain1983

Found the picture laying around in my photos from earlier in the year, and gave it a try, and voila!
Right after Troy told you NOT to shoot in lighting conditions like that! I think the content might have gotten you by with this one. I would have composed the shot without that grate showing, indeed none of the bottom of the shot was necessary, but it got on so go grab a beer and celebrate...
__________________
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #19
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
In other news...
Image © spacetrain1983
PhotoID: 593211
Photograph © spacetrain1983

Found the picture laying around in my photos from earlier in the year, and gave it a try, and voila!
I really like the sewage grate.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #20
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I really like the sewage grate.
Didn't even notice any of that stuff until it's been pointed out to me I mainly chose to try that one because I saw that it was cloudy BUT the scene was lit up by the sun.
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Didn't even notice any of that stuff until it's been pointed out to me I mainly chose to try that one because I saw that it was cloudy BUT the scene was lit up by the sun.
Ahhhh...much better.



Click image for larger version

Name:	sewagegrate.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	9279
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Right after Troy told you NOT to shoot in lighting conditions like that! I think the content might have gotten you by with this one. I would have composed the shot without that grate showing, indeed none of the bottom of the shot was necessary, but it got on so go grab a beer and celebrate...
I see no, repeat ZERO reason why RP would accept something like that.

It's a static display which can be shot 365 days out of the year, I would think ONE of them the sun would be shining

This sort of stuff is ridiculous
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
Rene de Vries
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
I see no, repeat ZERO reason why RP would accept something like that.

It's a static display which can be shot 365 days out of the year, I would think ONE of them the sun would be shining

This sort of stuff is ridiculous
+1

Awkward composition, poor lighting.. just pick your poison.

For me this is a perfect example of the arbitrary and random screening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you that you got your picture on RPN but this picture really should have been rejected..

Kind regards

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:15 AM   #24
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
1.
Didn't even notice any of that stuff until it's been pointed out to me

2. I mainly chose to try that one because I saw that it was cloudy BUT the scene was lit up by the sun.

1. A good habit to get into is to take time to look around the edges of the frame before you take the shot.

2. You are learning. The use of light was good here.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.