Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Burner50
Member
 
Burner50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Default Your railroad crews need your help.

This is a political type message, but I'm going to do my best to keep the political views aside from the topic at hand.

I'm asking anyone here who reads this to send an E-Mail to your Congressional representatives and let them know how you feel about this.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

In the FY2013 budget that was passed in the House of Representatives on March 29th, there is a small paragraph buried in a report that suggests that Railroad Retirement should conform to rules regarding Social Security.

For those of you who don't know, almost all railroad employees do not pay into Social Security. Instead we pay into Railroad Retirement. Railroad retirement is a private pension plan that is run by the Federal Government. The Railroad Retirement Board IS a Federal agency. This gives us several benefits over Social Security. Our benefits are usually more than the maximum allowed by Social Security. Railroad Retirement pre dates Social Security.

The report goes on to state that by conforming benefits under Railroad Retirement to the rules regarding Social Security, taxpayers may realize a savings of $2,000,000,000.00 over ten years. Two BILLION dollars. Now, that sounds just fine and dandy... Governments are strapped for cash and why should one person get more out of the pot than the next guy. Except for this: Taxpayers don't give us one penny. All benefits and administrative expenses in excess of Social Security are paid for in full by railroad employees. Nothing is funded by the general treasury. So in reality, there would be nothing that you as a taxpayer would save.

Now, Since being privatized in 2001, the Railroad Retirement Fund has grown to over $24 Billion and is not in any trouble at all. All of this money comes from railroad workers, and gets paid TO railroad workers. Railroad Retirement is Solvent, and self funded. It should be placed on a pedestal as a model for a successful government program, not torn to pieces.

As the saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!


For a little more reading:

http://www.goiam.org/images/articles...resolution.pdf

http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=5262

http://utu.org/2012/03/30/conservati...king-families/

Last edited by Burner50; 04-21-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
J
Senior Member
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 532
Default

This concept was subsequently dropped from the current legislation.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Burner50
Member
 
Burner50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
This concept was subsequently dropped from the current legislation.


No... It passed the House of Representatives. The language is still there. Even if the Senate kicks it out, it still has to go back to the house for another vote.

It is still dangerous.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

The RRS should have been closed to new employees years ago. It's absurd to have a separate system for them. Keep it until the last current employee retires, close it to new employees.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

No, abolishing this is absurd, but of course it is only natural that a system that works will be abolished by our government.

With the social security situation, the Railroad Retirement System was one of the reasons I really looked forward to trying to work in the industry after I graduate college. In a Human Resources course I took in the fall of 2011, my professor even spent a few minutes of a lecture on employee benefits talking about the Railroad Retirement System and its differences/benefits, much to my surprise.

If this goes through, it is a shame, because all of that money belongs to the railroaders who earned it, and not a penny of it belongs in the hands of our government.

Just my $.02
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
No, abolishing this is absurd, but of course it is only natural that a system that works will be abolished by our government.

With the social security situation, the Railroad Retirement System was one of the reasons I really looked forward to trying to work in the industry after I graduate college. In a Human Resources course I took in the fall of 2011, my professor even spent a few minutes of a lecture on employee benefits talking about the Railroad Retirement System and its differences/benefits, much to my surprise.

If this goes through, it is a shame, because all of that money belongs to the railroaders who earned it, and not a penny of it belongs in the hands of our government.

Just my $.02
It's pointless to have an entire retirement system for employees in one industry. It's self serving. I dont agree the govt should take the money, but it should be closed to new entrants. If there's money left over when the last person dies, give it to the govt. You really cant defend keeping RRS around.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
adickson
Senior Member
 
adickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central NC
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's pointless to have an entire retirement system for employees in one industry. It's self serving. I dont agree the govt should take the money, but it should be closed to new entrants. If there's money left over when the last person dies, give it to the govt. You really cant defend keeping RRS around.
As a railroad employee I highly disagree with your statements. I'm not in the mood to argue with you but try to keep these half retarded comments to yourself. No need to give the poorly run gov't any more poor ideas.
__________________
Anthony Dickson
www.vidivides.com
www.flickr.com/photos/adickson87/
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Is the great Anthony Dickson such an expert at federal taxation and retirement policy issues that he can refer to what others say as "half retarded"???
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
trainboysd40
Senior Member
 
trainboysd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta on the CP Laggan Subdivision
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default

What's so wrong about a separate system for retirement funding within an industry? It's neutral. It doesn't give anything or take anything away from the government system as a whole, and it gives a higher standard of living after retirement to those in the industry.
__________________
got a D5 IIi and now he doesnt afread fo 12800 iSO
Youtube (Model Railway, Vlogs, Tutorials, and prototype)
My Website
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's pointless to have an entire retirement system for employees in one industry. It's self serving. I dont agree the govt should take the money, but it should be closed to new entrants. If there's money left over when the last person dies, give it to the govt. You really cant defend keeping RRS around.
Maybe it is pointless to keep social security. I mean, RRS predates it, and the RRS works, SS doesn't. Why should all other Americans get to use a system that doesn't work while the railroaders are stripped of theirs? How can anyone rightfully defend SS?

And as stated, our government, and the average American has no dog in the fight, it doesn't cost them anything, so why bother? Our government has probably spent more effort getting this through, even if it is one line in a bill, than they spend on the RRS. If the RRS was a money pit like SS, it would be absurd to have a separate system, but it isn't, so I don't see the problem.

I think that people who do not benefit from it(or anything else, for that matter) are quick to try to strip it away from those who do because their system doesn't work.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
What's so wrong about a separate system for retirement funding within an industry? It's neutral. It doesn't give anything or take anything away from the government system as a whole, and it gives a higher standard of living after retirement to those in the industry.
My feelings exactly.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adickson View Post
As a railroad employee I highly disagree with your statements. I'm not in the mood to argue with you but try to keep these half retarded comments to yourself. No need to give the poorly run gov't any more poor ideas.
As a railroad employee, you have a biased opinion, and are therefore not objective. So your opinion does not matter. If you are already an employee, you are already in the system and would not be affected by my proposal...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
What's so wrong about a separate system for retirement funding within an industry? It's neutral. It doesn't give anything or take anything away from the government system as a whole, and it gives a higher standard of living after retirement to those in the industry.
Why have a separate retirement system for ONE SINGLE INDUSTRY. It makes no sense, and should not exist. It could be argued that it's discriminatory.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
Maybe it is pointless to keep social security. I mean, RRS predates it, and the RRS works, SS doesn't. Why should all other Americans get to use a system that doesn't work while the railroaders are stripped of theirs? How can anyone rightfully defend SS?
Now dont be stupid.

If social security didnt exist FOR EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN, you may have a legitimate arguement, but it does.

RRS existed BEFORE social security, someone was asleep at the wheel when SS was formed, it should have been collapsed into it years ago.

Funny how the employees will line up and fight this tooth and nail
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Why have a separate retirement system for ONE SINGLE INDUSTRY. It makes no sense, and should not exist. It could be argued that it's discriminatory.
Why? Why does it not make sense? You keep saying this, apparently just because you like seeing it on the screen. What about a working, self sufficient retirement system doesn't make sense? It makes perfect sense to me. That is what I fail to understand about your argument.

Does it not make sense simply because it is separate from SS? I could see that if the taxpayer was funding a totally separate administrative system for Railroad Retirement, but they are not, these employees are. That's why I do not feel it is discriminatory, because the people benefiting from it pay into it. Discriminatory would be if you and I, non railroad employees, paid into it, but only railroaders saw the money. In that case I would be outraged, but that is not how it is.

Maybe it could be a model for reform, but since it was the original model for SS, and that turned out so well, I'm not sure trying to imitate it would work now either. Perhaps more industry-specific retirement programs would work, I don't know, but I just cant fathom why anyone would want to eliminate one that does.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Now dont be stupid.

If social security didnt exist FOR EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN, you may have a legitimate arguement, but it does.

RRS existed BEFORE social security, someone was asleep at the wheel when SS was formed, it should have been collapsed into it years ago.

Funny how the employees will line up and fight this tooth and nail
A: I clearly stated that RRS existed BEFORE social security, I used the word PREDATES, so stop yelling at me with your all caps.

B: So what, social security exists for all of us, I don't want it, or to pay into it, because by the time I reach the age to benefit, it won't be there, the economics of it are just not possible, without much reform.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
A: I clearly stated that RRS existed BEFORE social security, I used the word PREDATES, so stop yelling at me with your all caps.

B: So what, social security exists for all of us, I don't want it, or to pay into it, because by the time I reach the age to benefit, it won't be there, the economics of it are just not possible, without much reform.
Fact 1: The other 99.9% of americans pay into it, employees of railroads should too

Fact 2: there is nothing special about railroads that they should have their own retirement system

Fact 3: I dont like SS either, since I and the rest of us cant opt OUT of SS and cant opt into RRS, it should be abolished, at least for new employees. It is discriminatory.

Fact 4: again, you have a very biased opinion, and it means jack shit. Of course you are going to defend your golden parachute. The day will come when RRS becomes insolvent like SS, there will be no bailout.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Fact 1: The other 99.9% of americans pay into it, employees of railroads should too

Fact 2: there is nothing special about railroads that they should have their own retirement system

Fact 3: I dont like SS either, since I and the rest of us cant opt OUT of SS and cant opt into RRS, it should be abolished, at least for new employees. It is discriminatory.

Fact 4: again, you have a very biased opinion, and it means jack shit. Of course you are going to defend your golden parachute. The day will come when RRS becomes insolvent like SS, there will be no bailout.
Sure, you can opt out of SS, become a railroad employee, nothing is stopping anyone from doing that. You do not have to be a engineer or conductor, there are many types of positions within the railroad industry.

The whole point of an opinion is that it is biased, this is not an academic type forum, it is opinion, but I have continuously stated facts to support my side, you continue not to, only offering your opinion that railroaders should not be allowed to receive benefits they pay for. I don't see why your opinion is any better than mine.

I really see no reason for anyone to be on your side, as the destruction of the railroad retirement system doesn't do any good for anyone. You and I, American taxpayers who are not railroad employees, get nothing from this, as its existence costs us nothing. But the reduction of benefits to those who have rightfully earned them is going to hurt railroad employees and is wrong, period.

And no, the day will not come when the RRS becomes insolvent, it is run the way a retirement benefits system should be, everyone pays their share and gets their share. It is set up for continued success, that statement is blasphemy. Whether or not the railroad retirement system works is not debatable, it is a fact that it does. If your are as upset as I am that the system for the rest of us doesn't work, ok, but that does not make it ok to trash someone else's retirement system.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Fact 4: again, you have a very biased opinion, and it means jack shit.
Oh really, what did you decide to do when you woke up yesterday morning? It looks like you rose from you bed and thought about how you could piss off as many people as possible.

In the past 24 hours, you have attacked railroad employees, the railroad that is providing us with 19 locomotives painted in the schemes of their predecessors, and their company photographer.

Think what you want of my opinion, but don't be fooled into thinking many people like yours.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Don't mind Troy...he's going for the coveted "Ass of the Quarter" award. He's clearly the front-runner. Again.
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
adickson
Senior Member
 
adickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central NC
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Don't mind Troy...he's going for the coveted "Ass of the Quarter" award. He's clearly the front-runner. Again.
He's got my vote...
__________________
Anthony Dickson
www.vidivides.com
www.flickr.com/photos/adickson87/
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
Burner50
Member
 
Burner50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
What's so wrong about a separate system for retirement funding within an industry? It's neutral. It doesn't give anything or take anything away from the government system as a whole, and it gives a higher standard of living after retirement to those in the industry.
Jealousy... And politicians eyeing the 24.1 billion that we have in reserves.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Burner50
Member
 
Burner50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Why have a separate retirement system for ONE SINGLE INDUSTRY. It makes no sense, and should not exist. It could be argued that it's discriminatory.
Why not?

Its not costing anybody else anything. All of the administration expenses are paid for by the railroad employees. There is no legitimate reason to get rid of it.


Railroad retirement is nothing like SS except for the fact that the Railroad Retirement Board is a federal agency.

Railroad retirement is a private pension system. Does that mean that you're against other private pension systems?


For what it is worth, we pay well in excess of what you pay into social security.

Last edited by Burner50; 04-20-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #24
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50 View Post
Railroad retirement is a private pension system. Does that mean that you're against other private pension systems?
I am a member of a private pension system.

AND I pay into social security... point blank, you should too. Your employer should provide your pension or other retirement system, not the government.

Let me say this. I would venture to guess that most politicians and so called "teabaggers" are oblivious that the RRS even exists, if / when they do, you can bet your ass it will go away.

Most of you are too blind or ignorant to see the fallacy of your arguments.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #25
ARandall70
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 49
Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I am a member of a private pension system.

AND I pay into social security... point blank, you should too. Your employer should provide your pension or other retirement system, not the government.

Let me say this. I would venture to guess that most politicians and so called "teabaggers" are oblivious that the RRS even exists, if / when they do, you can bet your ass it will go away.

Most of you are too blind or ignorant to see the fallacy of your arguments.
You just told on yourself, you feel that because you pay in to social security, everyone else should. So your are jealous that railroaders do not have to pay into the broken system that the rest of us do, and you want it to end. So pure jealousy is your reasoning for advocating the end of the RRS.

And I love how we are all ignorant just because we disagree with you, I guess Troy has all of the answers, he is all knowing and and(thankfully not) all powerful. You are always good for these stupid one liners that get under everyone's skin, yet you leave off the reasoning behind them. I really don't care about your opinion, as in which side, but some logic behind it would be helpful. From here it seems jealousy is your motive.
__________________
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.