Old 07-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Elitewolf135

Default Is it worth fiddlin' with? (Evening MoW photo)

Hello all,

I've been rejected for bad crop and an unlevel horizon. While the unlevel issue is easier to fix, I was wondering how to improve the crop on the image. Is it worth trying or should it go into the personal collection?
I have multiple shots of this, I suppose maybe cropping out the truck is a possibility on why it was rejected. I was going for balancing the image with the MoW stuff on the left and the crossbuck on the right.

Rejection;
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...25&key=5665835

Thanks!
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
conrail1990

More left, less right. Crop out the cross buck, its really dosent add much. The shot looks level, however the color looks like it needs an adjustment.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
Elitewolf135

Following your advice, here's what I came up with.
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1374374098.jpg
This is in the Queue. I'll be up in order to fix anything anyone may suggest.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I would say pass on this one
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I would say pass on this one
Understandable. How about this slide?
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/33d5...a4171409ee.jpg
I want to try to incorporate the MoW equipment in my photo, however the weeds limit me doing so in a creative manner (to a degree that is). I'm not the property owner, nor do I know who owns it (Probably CSX), so I cannot simply bring down my weedeater and hammer it down.
Should I maybe time it later? I thought, "Maybe this looks like I snapped too early, thus making it not RailPics worthy."
I'm here to learn and develop.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
More left, less right. Crop out the cross buck, its really dosent add much. The shot looks level, however the color looks like it needs an adjustment.
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/0fec...11873bd337.jpg
Is this what you mean?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

I would rather see empty track to the left instead of weeds and grass to the right. If this is the only shot you have, I'd say it's a no-go.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Understandable. How about this slide?
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/33d5...a4171409ee.jpg
I want to try to incorporate the MoW equipment in my photo, however the weeds limit me doing so in a creative manner (to a degree that is). I'm not the property owner, nor do I know who owns it (Probably CSX), so I cannot simply bring down my weedeater and hammer it down.
Should I maybe time it later? I thought, "Maybe this looks like I snapped too early, thus making it not RailPics worthy."
I'm here to learn and develop.
With the inclusion of the aforementioned coal trains, this one is MUCH better. Even the composition on your second crop (with the empty tracks on the left) was much more appealing that your original rejection.

Is your camera capable of several frames per second? If so, start machine gunning...that way you'll have several frames to choose from and pretty much eliminate the "Oops, I snapped too soon (or too late)" issue.

Last edited by JimThias; 07-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I would rather see empty track to the left instead of weeds and grass to the right. If this is the only shot you have, I'd say it's a no-go.
That was rejected.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...91&key=2781076
May go down and try again.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Elitewolf135

My t2i has a burst rate of 3.7. When I am able to find it a new home and grab a 60d, I'll have a higher success rate at 5.3fps.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
wds

Quote:
My t2i has a burst rate of 3.7. When I am able to find it a new home and grab a 60d, I'll have a higher success rate at 5.3fps.
Or you could save some money and go for a 40D with 10fps. I tried out the 50D and 60D before settling on the 40D for a backup to the 5DMk II, just liked it better all 'round. The 60D felt like holding a Rebel to me, not that feel has much to do with taking photographs. It did have some extra bells and whistles, but the only thing that might have been useful to me was the fact that it could take SD memory cards. It's getting harder to find CF cards these days, at least on sale at Staples! If video capability means anything to you, then disregard this. It doesn't to me (I used the vid cap on the 5D maybe 5 times in as many years).
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Or you could save some money and go for a 40D with 10fps. I tried out the 50D and 60D before settling on the 40D for a backup to the 5DMk II, just liked it better all 'round. The 60D felt like holding a Rebel to me, not that feel has much to do with taking photographs. It did have some extra bells and whistles, but the only thing that might have been useful to me was the fact that it could take SD memory cards. It's getting harder to find CF cards these days, at least on sale at Staples! If video capability means anything to you, then disregard this. It doesn't to me (I used the vid cap on the 5D maybe 5 times in as many years).
That sounds nice, but SD cards are extremely convenient to me because I have a MacBook Air, and my Desktop (which is a Dell Optiplex 960) has neither CF or SD, but that's an exception on when I'll tether it.
If I'm taking a day or week trip somewhere, I'm not going to want to go through all the trouble of tethering my system unless I'm going to keep it in tethered mode and have it save directly to the SSD.
The 50D was a consideration, however after upgrading to the T2i (from the D5000), I've been spoiled by the splendid detail you get with 18mp.
An added bonus, the 60D is weather sealed. When I buy some nice L Glass, I can shoot in light rain with less to worry. If it starts pouring, I'm out for my own and other reasons.
The 40D (according to snapsort.com) is 6.5FPS. The same as the 50D iirc. The 60D is 5.3FPS.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Elitewolf135

To be honest, I want a 70D. But I don't have the thousand something dollars to buy it. I'll wait until that goes down, drop the 60D, feed more money into it and get that when it's at an affordable price.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
wds

Quote:
The 40D (according to snapsort.com) is 6.5FPS. The same as the 50D iirc. The 60D is 5.3FPS.
Yeah you're right it's 6.5 according to DPReview also. It just seems a hell of a lot faster but I guess I was comparing it to my previous 30D and the 5D (which is a tortoise). I just assumed without researching it that it was 10fps because of how fast it sounded. It did seem faster than the 50D when I tried one after another, maybe I didn't have the 50D set right and it was processing more info? Dunno if that's even possible but just assuming. Because I didn't have a few days to fool with it I may have had the 50D set wrong otherwise as I just didn't like the pictures it took compared to the 40D also. I'm not really into stats and stuff like that - they say numbers never lie, but they can also tell you anything you want to hear - but I was so satisfied with the 40D that I bought another one for Judy when her Rebel's sensor crapped out. The newer the camera, the more stuff there is to figure out and I'm kinda an old fashioned type, probably simply because I'm old!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Elitewolf135

Quote:
The newer the camera, the more stuff there is to figure out and I'm kinda an old fashioned type, probably simply because I'm old!
I'm a noob photographer so fiddlin' with the camera is nothing new to me. I'm just trying to figure out how to be creative with shots. Haven't found a useful guide yet.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Yeah you're right it's 6.5 according to DPReview also. It just seems a hell of a lot faster but I guess I was comparing it to my previous 30D and the 5D (which is a tortoise). I just assumed without researching it that it was 10fps because of how fast it sounded. It did seem faster than the 50D when I tried one after another, maybe I didn't have the 50D set right and it was processing more info? Dunno if that's even possible but just assuming. Because I didn't have a few days to fool with it I may have had the 50D set wrong otherwise as I just didn't like the pictures it took compared to the 40D also. I'm not really into stats and stuff like that - they say numbers never lie, but they can also tell you anything you want to hear - but I was so satisfied with the 40D that I bought another one for Judy when her Rebel's sensor crapped out. The newer the camera, the more stuff there is to figure out and I'm kinda an old fashioned type, probably simply because I'm old!
Up until October, I had 2 cameras, a 40d, and a 5d (original one). The 40d was great for a crop camera. But it fell and met a gruesome death.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Up until October, I had 2 cameras, a 40d, and a 5d (original one). The 40d was great for a crop camera. But it fell and met a gruesome death.
I'm genuinely sorry for your loss.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
You'll like the 60D. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought a second one. At $700 for the body, you can't beat that with a stick!

However, I'd rather have a 7D, but I needed the flip screen that the 60D has. That is actually why I went with the 60D, as it was Canon's highest quality DSLR with a flip screen.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Don't go crazy about specs. While I love my 60D and can tell it's a better camera than my XTi, I can't say I've noticed a difference in fps. Of course, I don't machine gun my shots anyway. Just take the picture you want.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You'll like the 60D. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought a second one. At $700 for the body, you can't beat that with a stick!
I've been thinking about doing the same thing and getting anotehr 60D since I've finally been bit by the video bug again. I'd still rather shoot stills though, so I'm not shooting much video. Second body would take care of that.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
That was rejected.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...91&key=2781076
May go down and try again.
Well, technically, they are rejecting teh shot because they just don't want it; the track to the left is better than the weeds to the right. If there had been a crew working on that machine, then it gets in.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Elitewolf135

Quote:

However, I'd rather have a 7D, but I needed the flip screen that the 60D has. That is actually why I went with the 60D, as it was Canon's highest quality DSLR with a flip screen.
Actually the larger flippy tilt-y High Resolution screen is the reason I like the 60D over the 7D.
It makes quite a difference to me. I can't stand black bars.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
wds

Anything with a flip screen I'll avoid like the plague. I'll use Judy's laptop rarely, when we're away from home, but I've had one too many flex connections go south on me to ever trust any again. The way I treat things that flippy-thing would be completely hanging off in a week and a half!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Anything with a flip screen I'll avoid like the plague. I'll use Judy's laptop rarely, when we're away from home, but I've had one too many flex connections go south on me to ever trust any again. The way I treat things that flippy-thing would be completely hanging off in a week and a half!
It's my work camera with over 120,000 shutter actuations on it and the flip hardware is showing no signs of wear, which is surprising with how the rest of the camera looks!

If Canon ever wanted a testimonial for the quality build of their flip screen, I'd be happy to give them one.

I've already had the shutter replaced, but the flip screen keeps going strong like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
wds

Quote:
...I've already had the shutter replaced, but the flip screen keeps going strong like the Energizer Bunny.
Yeah, but you're the guy who can get away with taping a lampshade to his lens for a lens hood. That wouldn't last me to the car, let alone to work and on the floor of an old bouncing 0-4-0 all day long!