Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
rathman11

Default Cropping Issue

Hey all, hope everyone had a great 4th of July. So I grabbed this shot on my way home from my parents' place earlier tonight. I like the shot but I am having troubles on where to crop the photo. I wanted to keep the road and cars in the photo with the train snaking behind but it is making it difficult to get the photo to the proper height minimum of 680 pixels. Any suggestions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=704980&key=0

I would attach the original but my brand new computer is already acting up right now and is freezing when I try and open up the attachments link. Go figures huh!

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
wongm

Does the original have any more sky up top? At the moment the cars aren't a huge element on the left side, perhaps it would be better to get rid of them altogether.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
rathman11

Marcus, that was my other option and another opinion confirming that might have just been what I needed. However, I did find another shot in the string of photos I took that might work with keeping the cars in. Although I did not mention it in the remarks (something I will most likely do with this other photo) I was kind of going for the "everybody heading home from their 4th of July destination and the railroad is still hard at work" theme.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I think you're trying to preserve too much on the left hand side, getting as much train as possible. Eh, not the greatest approach here. I would cut some off of the left hand side, I would actually cut the cars out all together. That'll give you more of a square crop, not saying that's the best crop, but I tend to do square crops. Just a habit. Not saying I do it all the time, but it's a habit. I actually think what you could do is crop IN a little bit more, lets see more of the loco. That'll take care of your dead left hand side.

Ben
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
wab1189

I think your going to have to crop the cars out and add some more space to the top of the photo. Those poles to me are pretty distracting too. When first looking at the photo my eyes wanted to go strait to those poles. It also could be me but I think the lighting is alittle harsh too. There is something else to the photo to that I'm not liking but I'm not able to put my finger on it right now.

Thats just my 2cents.
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
rathman11

Jason, that is the one negative about trying to shoot the DM&E in SE Minnesota. Those poles travel parallel along a good majority of the line I took the shot around 7PM but the light is almost head on. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow and see what I come up with, it might just be a personal collection photo!

My RP photos

Flickr Photos

Last edited by rathman11; 07-06-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
wab1189

Jason the lighting could be ok but to me it looks alittle harsh. No one else has commented on it so it could just be me.

Those power poles can really kill a shot. I know there are some places around here where I live if it wasn't for the power poles you could get a nice shot.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

No, no, no!!! Don't let theese guys tell you that the poles kill the shot. The poles do not kill the shot. They were there and are part of the scene. They don't block the train at all. I am not a believer in poles and power lines being shot killers if handled right and you did here.

But those cars do need to go. As said above, they're not a big partof the crop to be included.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Also, anyone notice how soft the shot is? The locomotive almost looks out of focus.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
rathman11

Joe, I have the same thoughts as you about poles and power lines. I have always thought of them as being a part of the railroad scenery but maybe that is just because of my younger years when the DM&E was in my backyard.

Steven, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to mention that. I got hit with undersharpened on my first rejection so I upped it and got the result you are seeing. I have other pictures I am going to look at in that string of shots to see if something may be a bit more in focus. I have always leaned towards undersharpening photos, for a reason I do not know.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

There also appears to be a yellow tinge cast over the entire image. Additional post processing should help clear that up. I agree that the image does look soft too.

I agree that poles can add to an image, example:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 231499
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

However, in this particular image that this thread is for, the poles are very distracting IMO and take away from the overall image.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
wab1189

Hang on a sec. I'm not saying all shots with power poles in them kill the shot. There are shots where they do add to the photo. To me though in this photo where they are in the center of the photo and kinda in your face is really distracting.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
rathman11

Would a crop more like this work for the shot? No other post processing work has been done, yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICE64184.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	4342  

My RP photos

Flickr Photos