Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default Circles in the sky

I really liked this shot and opened for a bigger view. Now, admittedly, I am going in for an eye check tomorrow but I am seeing circles in the sky. What would cause this? They are too uniform to be just random spots in the image, it seems.

Image © Brandon Fiume
PhotoID: 652770
Photograph © Brandon Fiume

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
vcode455

Looks like the clone tool I use to remove dirt and dust from scanned slides with my software. Never really use it with digital images....

Greg
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
warbonnets

I have the same issue with the Canon 6D. Dust gets into the camera so the sensor needs to be cleaned with a dust removal tool.
warbonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Those are dust spots on the sensor, and he should probably clean it soon.

Loyd L.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
amtrak07t

Eeek! Thanks for pointing that out. I never had that problem before. I see that a lot of my images from the last week have dust with an aperture of f/8 and smaller. I resubmitted the photo after cloning the circles (so, I'd suppose it'd take a few hours before it's resubmitted).

Guess I shouldn't change lens when a coal train rolls by :haha (Just kidding, didn't do that)

So...uh...Can anyone recommend a sensor cleaning kit?
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
amtrak07t

Reuploaded! Is it any better? Weird thing is, they resized it to 1200 x 800. The image that I uploaded was 1600 x something.

Last edited by amtrak07t; 03-25-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Eeek! Thanks for pointing that out. I never had that problem before. I see that a lot of my images from the last week have dust with an aperture of f/8 and smaller. I resubmitted the photo after cloning the circles (so, I'd suppose it'd take a few hours before it's resubmitted).

Guess I shouldn't change lens when a coal train rolls by :haha (Just kidding, didn't do that)

So...uh...Can anyone recommend a sensor cleaning kit?
I use the Altura kits as found on amazon. They have swabs for crop and full frame sensors.

Loyd L.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Reuploaded! Is it any better? Weird thing is, they resized it to 1200 x 800. The image that I uploaded was 1600 x something.
Oops, sorry about that. I never updated the reupload script to deal with anything over 1200px. Can you give it a try again?

Thanks!

p.s. sky looks much better!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned

I was more distracted by the selective brightening he did in the area of the signal, that's pretty tacky
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #10
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I was more distracted by the selective brightening he did in the area of the signal, that's pretty tacky
Fixed that in the re-submission (give it a little bit). Thanks for catching that. That was an errant radial filter that I didn't delete.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:46 AM   #11
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Oops, sorry about that. I never updated the reupload script to deal with anything over 1200px. Can you give it a try again?

Thanks!

p.s. sky looks much better!
Thank you, Chris! Done.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 AM   #12
amtrak07t

Just for future reference, here's the first version (for those who are just now viewing the forum).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-4.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	699.5 KB
ID:	9597  
Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

It's still extremely noticeable, why are you even doing it?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 AM   #14
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's still extremely noticeable, why are you even doing it?
I didn't intend to put it there in the first place (or notice it for that matter). Occasionally, I will do local adjustments if something is totally out of whack. I have the default brush set to increase exposure by 1 stop so I can see where the brush is located. I really don't remember intentionally putting a brush there, but I'll occasionally try the selective brushes out to see what fits and what doesn't. I looked at the original file, and I didn't slide anything else for that brush (it was on the default +1.00 stop). Honestly, I just forgot to remove it.

With your first response, I selectively brought the exposure down after I removed the dust in another program. In hindsight, it would have been easier to just remove the filter from the beginning, but I saw your comment too late. I think the latest re-upload is substantially better.

Last edited by amtrak07t; 03-27-2018 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #15
JimThias

Can you post the unedited image so we can understand why you did whatever you did to the signal? Heck, even just a crop of that particular area. I agree with Troy in asking "why?"

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Wink

I have the Canon 6D. One of the best things Canon did since the 40D is Auto Sensor Cleaning.
Menu>Wrench 4>Sensor Cleaning>Auto Cleaning>Enable.
Now every time you turn on and turn off the power to the camera, the sensor will shake off the dirt. This works 97% of the time for me.
I do have to remember when I change a lens to turn on and off during a shooting session.
I used to clean my 20D sensor since it could not do it itself. I hated that for I never could get it truly clean.
I have never cleaned the 6D manually in the 4 years I have had it.
Any spots that showed up was because I would be outside, changing lenses and not turning the camera on and off at least several times during a long session.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I have the Canon 6D. One of the best things Canon did since the 40D is Auto Sensor Cleaning.
Menu>Wrench 4>Sensor Cleaning>Auto Cleaning>Enable.
Now every time you turn on and turn off the power to the camera, the sensor will shake off the dirt. This works 97% of the time for me.
I do have to remember when I change a lens to turn on and off during a shooting session.
I used to clean my 20D sensor since it could not do it itself. I hated that for I never could get it truly clean.
I have never cleaned the 6D manually in the 4 years I have had it.
Any spots that showed up was because I would be outside, changing lenses and not turning the camera on and off at least several times during a long session.
I've not found the piezoelectric shakers to be that effective. Most of the dust that sticks either has to be blown off or wet-cleaned. My solution is not to change lenses outdoors. That really helps a lot. Not changing lenses on the fly also helps avoid lens-drop accidents....and missed shots. If I have to clean it, I have a sensor scope with LEDs, and I use the Delkin Devices swabs and cleaning solution. I find that I end up going through several swabs before I get it acceptably clean. The first pass usually makes the problem look worse than it was to start with.

Somebody out there wanna make a fortune? Invent a self-cleaning digital camera sensor that really does clean itself....vs. simply vibrating.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 AM   #18
RobJor

I guess I am between you two on this. I am always changing lenses, usually at night. I have a D750 from when they came out. I did check and have only a few spots from 3 years, but most of what I shoot is wide open or close so I don't see them or the few on a bright day are a quick fix. When I did clean the sensor on the D200 and D90 I was holding my breath not to screw it up and was usually worse the first time and took several tries.

I never sent 750 back on the shutter recall so could do that, probably due for a full cleaning. Don't really want to do it myself.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #19
bigbassloyd

I've had to clean my 6d twice in 4 years, so I think the magic fingers lens cleaner is doing something. I will change lenses in a dust storm if need be.

Loyd L.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

I never sent 750 back on the shutter recall so could do that, probably due for a full cleaning. Don't really want to do it myself.

Bob Jordan
Bob,

You may want to consider proactively sending your 750 back for the shutter recall. If you call them, they will send you an RS label, so you can box it up and just drop it at UPS at no charge to you. They will return it after servicing it, again at no cost to you. Takes about 10 days. In the process of changing out the shutter, they will also clean your camera.

The reason I suggest doing this is because my 750 developed a host of problems back in 2016. My camera did not appear on the first recall list, so I assumed I was out of the woods. Such was not the case. First, it developed the shutter freeze problem that Nikon doesn't admit. It would happen most often after the camera had been shut off for a while (hours). I'd trigger the shutter and it would freeze open, ruining the frame. Fortunately, pressing a second time would unfreeze it. It did that for a month or two, and then things really went downhill. While on a shoot in WI, the camera suddenly developed the stripe-across-the-top-of-the-frame problem, as well as the "odd flare" problem. It happened with one push of the shutter. I thought I could work around it during the shoot, by going wider, but what I didn't know was that the shutter had scattered debris all over my sensor. Anyway, in the airport boarding lounge on the way home, I called Nikon and they set up the return. Unfortunately, because I had another charter scheduled the following week, I had to spend $100 to rent another 750, so I still had a second body.

Since returning from that work, the basic body has functioned fine....but it now has another problem associated with the grip. If left unused for more than a few hours, the camera will complain that the batteries are dead when I try to turn it on. Removing and re-attaching the grip will fix it.....until next time, but it is very annoying. I think this is known as DBS (or "Dead Battery Syndrome") I don't believe that Nikon admits it, or has any fixes for it. My batteries are both fully charged, and they are both genuine Nikon, not knock-offs.

Quite honestly, as I look at potentially getting a new camera, it is probably the 3 year-old D750 that I would sell and replace, not the 5 year-old D4. When it works, the 750 performs well, but from a reliability standpoint, it has been a serious disappointment.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
RobJor

Kevin, Thanks for the push, something I know I should do but put off since I have not had those problems, suspect my usage is a lot less intense, not sure if that matters. It is a bummer whenever we buy a quality product and ......

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #22
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Kevin, Thanks for the push, something I know I should do but put off since I have not had those problems, suspect my usage is a lot less intense, not sure if that matters. It is a bummer whenever we buy a quality product and ......

Bob
Hi Bob,

I suspect that the number of clicks on your shutter has something to do with it. The more you shoot, the quicker the problem may manifest itself. I have known folks who developed the issue before I did (and while I was in denial), and after I did (they were in denial ). I also know folks who proactively got their shutters replaced and never had the problem. It is probably best to be one of those guys!

My RP stuff is here.