Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #101
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I post photo's so some may enjoy them, or use it to find shots for a trip. if he left my name on my shot. it wouldn't bother me as much.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #102
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
About the only thing that can be done is for the admins to disable the right-click feature on RP.net.
Disabling right-clicking on this site is stupid - so stupid that I know neither Chris will ever implement it. All it would do is make it more difficult to use the site. Want to open that thumbnail in a new tab? Don't try right-clicking, it won't work. If someone wants the image, they can do a print screen, screen capture, look at the source and download it, or, as you said, recover it from the cache. Disabling right click would slow things down for the 0.001% of people that want to steal images and make the site a pain in the ass to use for a much larger percentage of the users. Any site that has right-clicking disabled does nothing but demonstrate the lack of technical knowledge of its webmaster.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #103
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
I post photo's so some may enjoy them, or use it to find shots for a trip. if he left my name on my shot. it wouldn't bother me as much.
I agree with this totally. I post knowing that I am giving my picture to those who want them. I'm not kidding myself that they won't get used. But cutting my name off of my shot? That's just not cool.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #104
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
At first I didn't like the idea of a watermark, but now you can expect to find one on all of my photos that I upload here!
The watermark just ruins the photo. If you look through the images there are images he took that still have the watermark on them so, in this case, it did not stop him. If you are going to display images for everyone to enjoy don't ruin them by putting that ugly watermark on them.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #105
ssw9662

Still though, it makes it much easier to determine that the photo was stolen. It certainly isn't a perfect solution, but it makes it much easier to identify photos that have been stolen. The bottom line is that the black bar is almost completely powerless against stealing photos, and if cropped out (as demonstrated here) can reveal photos with absolutely no protection against stealing.

And, contrary to what many seem to think, it is possible to use a watermark without ruining the photo. My only major gripe with the system (Other than photos using watermarks that are way too visible) is that it just says "Railpictures.net" on it and gives no indication of who took the photo. I think it'd be better if it said something along the lines of "Photo [photographer name]: Railpictures.net", although that may be a bit tough to fit onto one line.

Having said that, there is no one thing that will prevent people wanting to steal a photo to do so. Implementing several features to prevent image theft may help, but it won't make it impossible.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 02-20-2008 at 06:33 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #106
alstom
Banned

There is always going to be computer geniuses out there. By using certain features to protect our photos will limit some of these problems. Don't give up just because you believe we are outnumbered. Stop whoever is bothering you now! In this case, it is the user on Flickr.

For Socalrailfan, I post my photos as a representation of what I chose to do with my spare time and life. I post on this website to share my material for public viewing, and so others can enjoy my material and come up with possible photogenic locations if they were to ever be en route to my neck of the woods! What I did NOT post them for is to have them stolen from my account, without permission, and posted onto another photo hosting site, no credit given to me. See my point of view! I agree with Ween on his police/speeding driver comparison.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #107
Craig Walker

Gee, I was feeling good that none of my photos were stolen, yet bad because this jerk apparently didn't think my images were worth stealing.

But, after a bit of digging, I found five of mine (plus one of my brother's) that were "nicked" by this pathetic loser. Not only did he not delete the EXIF data, so that my copyright is clearly visible when viewed, but the captions also became part of his post.

One would think that any photographer with the depth of images that he wants people to believe he has would also supply caption information of at least a minimal nature -- if he had really created these images.

Since 3/5th of my stolen images were from Britain, it lends creedence to the thought that he is based in Europe. Either that, or he just likes trains no matter where they are found.

Craig Walker
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=6478

(I refer to this thief as "he" even though there is a slight possibility that it could be a "she" ... but I doubt it.)

Last edited by Craig Walker; 02-20-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Craig Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #108
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
And, contrary to what many seem to think, it is possible to use a watermark without ruining the photo. My only major gripe with the system (Other than photos using watermarks that are way too visible) is that it just says "Railpictures.net" on it and gives no indication of who took the photo. I think it'd be better if it said something along the lines of "Photo [photographer name]: Railpictures.net", although that may be a bit tough to fit onto one line.

You are correct. It is possible to use a watermark without ruining the photo. I have seen a few photos uploaded already since the system was put up a few weeks ago that have them located where they do not take much away from the image. Unfortunately, any watermark which does not take away from the image is not doing much against preventing someone from removing it. Any watermark which does not take away from the image is most likely very easily removed. All the watermarks which are located up in the sky might as well not even be there, I can remove those in less than 30 seconds. RP.net added the watermark as a basic feature to attract members, if you really want to have all your information up there it can be done in Photoshop very easily. I would suggest doing that over the watermark on RP.net offers to anyone who would prefer some type of identification on their photos.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #109
NSFan14

Dont see any of mine on there. Really no reason for him to take any of mine since none of mine is worth stealing!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #110
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

I haven't found my three, which were accepted here, in those guy's galleries. In a way, I kind of feel insulted.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #111
Ross_Fotheringham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
How would a watermark stop him from posting these shots? All the watermark says is Railpictures.com. I have a feeling this bastard woldn't give a crap.

Joe
Well yes and no. It's true that it doesn't stop someone from displaying it on another website, but note that in this case he took the time to crop out the simple copyright banner on every image. I think if he didn't give a crap he would have left them on and not taken the time to do that on hundreds of images.

The other thing it helps prevent is the dumb intern or guy who is going to lie to his boss and say, "Yes we have permission," becuse the boss is going to turn around and say, "Then get the copy that doesn't have RAILPICTURES.NET across the image." That helps force the business who wants to use your image to actually contact and compensate you.

Also, has anyone seen images in this guys gallery with the watermark on it?
Ross_Fotheringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #112
Jon Wisnieski

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10128121@N05/2277743202/

What's wrong with the right side of this image? Could he have possibly taken a picture of the computer monitor? You never know...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #113
Jon Wisnieski

Quote:
How would a watermark stop him from posting these shots? All the watermark says is Railpictures.com.
I was going to say that he might not care even if there was a watermark on the photos, and neither would the people looking at the photos, but I didn't.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #114
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wisnieski

What's wrong with the right side of this image? Could he have possibly taken a picture of the computer monitor? You never know...
That's how the original image was. I believe it's the edge of the window of the passenger car the photographer was riding in.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #115
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:

Thats part of the doorway of the car the photographer was shooting from i believe.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #116
Wonka001

Here's an interesting link or two
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10180870@N05/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11000569@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11018930@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23509759@N03/

I wonder if those are the same person as well, or if it's just a mere coincidence.

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #117
Ross_Fotheringham

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for any action to be taken by Flikr.
Ross_Fotheringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #118
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

He probably stole that photo too and claims it's his baby.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #119
Joe the Photog

Quote:

Here's the original --

Image © Darrell Krueger
PhotoID: 199045
Photograph © Darrell Krueger

A former Photo of the Week here.

Joe
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #120
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Heh, to see the photos turn out like they did, and all those cameras, this guy must be a "pro". And a LOADED pro at that.
He must also have an infinite amount of free time, unlimited money, and be able to teleport to thousands of different locations around the globe at the precise moment that a train is going by with perfect lighting conditions.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #121
mst145

I can't believe that baby would steal our photos!!!!

M.T.
mst145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #122
WembYard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
He must also have an infinite amount of free time, unlimited money, and be able to teleport to thousands of different locations around the globe at the precise moment that a train is going by with perfect lighting conditions.
I can't believe the amount of time that they must have spent saving all those photos and cropping the copyright bar off the bottom. Would have been a better use of time by going out and taking their own photos

On the subject of there being no older photos featured, I am sure that this one featured somewhere

Image © Donald Haskel
PhotoID: 192424
Photograph © Donald Haskel

Also note that there are virtually no steam locos featured either.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #123
mst145

I just recieved this email from yahoo regarding the complaint I filed last night:

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this incident to Yahoo!. We have taken the
appropriate action.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Copyright Agent, Yahoo! Inc.
copyright@yahoo-inc.com
c/o Yahoo! Inc.
701 First Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

The user, "Trains 02" on the Flickr website has used one of my photos
without my knowledge or permission. It was copied off of my page at
railpictures.net.

My original photo:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=182513&nseq=0

"Trains 02" copied photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3497438...16303/sizes/o/

"Trains 02" has clearly edited my original photo to remove the
copyright Railpictures.net placed on my photo when I uploaded it to their site.

I formally request my photo be removed immediately from "Trains 02" photo
page.

If you click on the link, you can see the photo was removed from Flickr.

Looks like justice was served, for now......

M.T.

Last edited by mst145; 02-21-2008 at 01:24 AM.
mst145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #124
DelmonteX

I filed my claim with Flickr as well.

Also found three more Trains_xx accounts 10-12. Each has one photo, the same, could this be our culprit?

Take a look if you like.

http://www.flickr.com/search/people/...ins_10&m=names
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #125
fullreversal

Send a message via AIM to fullreversal Send a message via Yahoo to fullreversal

Joe, that's actually the corner of the passenger car door... I probably should have cropped that out to begin with, but oh well.

I too have sent an earful to the Yahoo copyright department. Hopefully they'll actually do something with it.

I don't mind photos being posted, but give credit where credit is due!

geeeez

Quote:
Here's the original --

Image © Darrell Krueger
PhotoID: 199045
Photograph © Darrell Krueger

A former Photo of the Week here.

Joe
fullreversal is offline   Reply With Quote