Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default I wonder

I wonder if the screeners ever take in account the time (or even care) that somebody takes to plan out a photo shoot, looking for interesting subjects, research the history and or information about the particular shot?
I had this caboose shot (and another one that I walked a half a mile in the snow to get a good angle) that I have been waiting to get for months, I finally get a good day and the right spot, do the research and add a little info to make it informative to the viewer only to get a quick PEQ
and then I happen to check out the latest uploads to see four photos accepted of the same (wedgie shot) train all taken on the same day with noting in the remarks section.
I keep asking myself why I waste my time
here's the shot for the next seven days, for what it's worth
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=4752842
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default

I do not think they take any of that into account. Sometimes for better, sometimes, painfully obvious, for the worse.

In one sense - it's results driven. Does it matter how hard you tried?

In another sense - some shots just do not get any better and that should be taken into consideration but often does not.

And on a side note - I've always championed some sort of notation, badge if you will, to recognize photos of a variety that are perfectly executed and near impossible to duplicate - those obvious and apart from the norm. 'Shame the SC is biased or that another badge (direct route to the front page) does not exist other then the POTW.

Back to your shot - not loving it. May have accepted it, no worse then others, and at even more interesting in content and caption. But seems you could've shot a variety of compositions with one appealing enough for RP's tastes. You focused on the end where as most would likely find more appeal in more visible on the side. Sky is a bit funky - blown out in one spot.

I can not see the other "same" shots, though noticed there are no other shots of this C&O marked caboose that I can find on RP.

/Mitch

PS - I know many that have long since stopped writing captions until AFTER their images are screened.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

How is the screener suppose to know all the sweat, blood and tears you spent on that shot? Looks like you could of easily just driven up to it.

… and on top of that your shot has got some funky editing going on in it too.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
How is the screener suppose to know all the sweat, blood and tears you spent on that shot? Looks like you could of easily just driven up to it.

and on top of that your shot has got some funky editing going on in it too.
I'm not talking about just that shot, I'm saying in general, is any merit given to the time/research spent, when they screen the photos, kinda like they were giving to the Big Boy related shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Wow, even by the lax "we'll let accept anything Big Boy related on", this shot is particularly bad IMO.

Image © zebulon miller
PhotoID: 469800
Photograph © zebulon miller
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,618
Default

As in all things, we (people) generally do not care about the journey. We care about the end result. Your end result needs a run through editing again as John alluded to.


I researched this location for nearly two years. After I figured out how to get there, I climbed up and down it 10 times before I finally caught a train. Does that make it a better photograph? lol

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 279015
Photograph © Loyd Lowry


Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
As in all things, we (people) generally do not care about the journey. We care about the end result. Your end result needs a run through editing again as John alluded to.


I researched this location for nearly two years. After I figured out how to get there, I climbed up and down it 10 times before I finally caught a train. Does that make it a better photograph? lol

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 279015
Photograph © Loyd Lowry


Loyd L.
OK, I see I'm not going to get any support on this,
but......although we didn't know you researched that location for two years and went up and down that mountain 10 times, 5,728 people clicked on it, why? I think there's a correlation in there somewhere...I guess it could be a Machiavelli type of thing?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,618
Default

People clicked on it because it makes an interesting thumbnail. They liked and commented because it's a decent photograph. I will say that hard to find spots are generally well received because they aren't whored out on here (or any photographic website), and eventually people lose their interest when they've seen 10000000 images from the same location. There's two photos from there on RP, and I own them both.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
I'm not talking about just that shot, I'm saying in general, is any merit given to the time/research spent, when they screen the photos, kinda like they were giving to the Big Boy related shots.
As somebody who checked out the Big Boy, I can tell you those shots required 0% more effort than any other stand by the tracks and wait shot. I know what you're getting at, but bad example!

And to build off what Lloyd mentioned in the pervious comment; there is definitely no correlation between view count and difficultly of shot. Look at the current PotW and last two SCs. They are all great photos, but all drive up slam dunk shots.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I will say that hard to find spots are generally well received because they aren't whored out on here (or any photographic website), and eventually people lose their interest when they've seen 10000000 images from the same location. .
I only shoot pictures from whored out spots, Ludlow for instance
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

I would question why I hiked in a half a mile to get that shot. The end results are poor and nothing else really matters honestly. If I drive 2000 and have crappie weather while I am 2000 miles from home should my shots get on only because of the effort it took to get them, I think not.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

I think it's irrelevant how much effort a person put into a shot from the screeners point of view...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #12
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I would question why I hiked in a half a mile to get that shot. The end results are poor and nothing else really matters honestly. If I drive 2000 and have crappie weather while I am 2000 miles from home should my shots get on only because of the effort it took to get them, I think not.
First off that wasn't the shot I walked a half a mile for, second, I never said they should get ON because of the effort, I simply said do the "screeners ever take in account the effort"
And if we were to question any thing it would be, why do we do what we do, that is, take photos of trains and then bitch about them not getting accepted to a website..just saying
BTW here's the 1/2 mile walk shot.
Name:  re.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  292.0 KB
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,397
Default

Weird color and lighting... nail in the coffin.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
First off that wasn't the shot I walked a half a mile for, second, I never said they should get ON because of the effort, I simply said do the "screeners ever take in account the effort"
And if we were to question any thing it would be, why do we do what we do, that is, take photos of trains and then bitch about them not getting accepted to a website..just saying
BTW here's the 1/2 mile walk shot.
Attachment 8449
I'm with you in some regards - as stated in my earlier post. One such instance on my account was photographing several Northern Pacific steam engines while on a trip in the Northwest. No photos existed on RP, hardly any of NP at all, in fact. Did they take that into account when rejecting for "foreground obstruction" due to the protective fence? Nope. Was I trying to get a PC? Nope. Did I bitch - yup. And why? Not because it didn't get on, but because others with a fence had been accepted AND because while a NP steam engine behind a fence might not be representative of the best railroad photos on the net, neither are roster shots, wedges, Darwin's nor wrecks.

Your photo portfolio represents your style and vision. Seems legit to be frustrated when your portfolio represents their vision of "your vision". Funny, I went to Chipolte's the other day - I got a free lunch since I was a regular patron for months. Unfortunately, on RP, it seems every visit (post) is treated as your first. And that's fine if it weren't for all the damn flies!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #15
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
I wonder
Who wrote the book of love?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Your photo portfolio represents your style and vision. Seems legit to be frustrated when your portfolio represents their vision of "your vision". Funny, I went to Chipolte's the other day - I got a free lunch since I was a regular patron for months. Unfortunately, on RP, it seems every visit (post) is treated as your first. And that's fine if it weren't for all the damn flies!
Mitch, I generally agree with your post, but not sure where you're going with the pair of ideas you lay out here.

First off, isn't a screening process with (at least it theory) a set list of standards sort of intrinsically opposed to developing "your vision" of a portfolio on RP? There are plenty of sites that let railfans have complete total control… and largely they are significantly lower in quality than RP. I think RP does a good job of balancing quality control ("their vision," if you will) and allowing latitude for photographers to define a style. Look at the wide variety of processing, subject matter and styles (i.e., wedge, night, panning, etc) found on the site. Are there limitations? Sure. But most photos not making the database are not being rejected because they are too artistically advanced for RP (including both mentioned by the OP), but because they simply bad photos.

Second, there is another term for giving somebody a break because they are a regular; favoritism. You got your free burrito because Chipolte wants you to come back. That's fine, but you're not competing against others for that burrito. Photos should be screened in a total vacuum (ideally without the photogs name. I know this was discussed years ago, did we ever get an answer on it?).

Edit; I just reread your post and it occurred to me I could be misinterpreting your second point. If you mean that as a regular on RP, you should be entitled to more in-depth feed back or support, then I agree with you there.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Your photo portfolio represents your style and vision. Seems legit to be frustrated when your portfolio represents their vision of "your vision".
That's what flickr and other photo sharing websites are for (not to mention personal websites, like many of the photographers on this site have created).

I have no problem conforming to "their" vision because MY vision is available for others to view elsewhere on the interwebs.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That's what flickr and other photo sharing websites are for (not to mention personal websites, like many of the photographers on this site have created).

I have no problem conforming to "their" vision because MY vision is available for others to view elsewhere on the interwebs.
Jim nailed it.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default

After some 8 years of posting images to RP, a good percent of what I consider my best train images have made it on to RP. I simply implied for those with similar circumstances, it could be considered a frustrating consequence to have a few select images absent due to A) a screening process that will regularly let similar images into the database and B) a policy that does not in any way "reward" it's better patrons.

Yes, that's favoritism but A) unlike a railfan magazine, it's not going to be your pic or mine (it can be both) and B) as long as admin does not favor 100% of the photographers, the standards can remain on par with where they are now. The plus side - retention of many more of the best photographers RP has had the fortune of hosting. I've long suggested ideas based on "merit" which would grant a patron "veto" rights over a rejection - say, "X" number of views per image to date /per year, or "X" number of SC's (hey - it's their site, I can just scroll past), "X" number of PC's, total comments /favorites or average per image, ect. Such could legitimately earn waivers (after screening (or maybe no screening)) once and for all or "earned" one at a time.

But back to the topic at hand - I only stated, not that it's wrong, but that it could be a legit frustration. Heck, I'm just suggesting ideas that I think could improve the experience universally.

In the end, I guess my "vision" of RP as a site for ALL the best photographers on the 'Net to share their pics is not admin's vision and consequently, I have to spend time tracking those who've stopped posting and those who will never post - elsewhere. Sure, there's Flickr, SmugMug, Fineartists, Pbase, FB, ect... but I always liked the idea of one place focused on one topic with not only the best rail photos but also the best photographers on the Net.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 02-19-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #20
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...but I always liked the idea of one place focused on one topic with not only the best rail photos but also the best photographers on the Net.

\Mitch
And nothing is stopping that from happening.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #21
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And nothing is stopping that from happening.

Exactly - no one's ever left RP for reasons other then simply running out of images. 'Course, my book marks would imply otherwise.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #22
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,618
Default

Perhaps it is a tragedy that photographers walk away because all of their images aren't accepted. Personally speaking, I've yet to meet a photographer that transcended greatness to the point where every shutter click of a train was deserving of being here simply because they took it.*

*Unless you're from WV. Them boys can shoot some choos choos..

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #23
MassArt Images
Senior Member
 
MassArt Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

*Unless you're from WV. Them boys can shoot some choos choos..

Loyd L.
And they have fun doing it too!
__________________
Carl


My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 AM   #24
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Perhaps it is a tragedy that photographers walk away because all of their images aren't accepted. Personally speaking, I've yet to meet a photographer that transcended greatness to the point where every shutter click of a train was deserving of being here simply because they took it.*

*Unless you're from WV. Them boys can shoot some choos choos..

Loyd L.
I was not talking about the photographer that submits every image they've ever taken. I was talking about Bill, lol - I just wanted to say I can sympathize with him and was inclined to believe the answer to his question was "no".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
......I was talking about Bill, lol
Who?


67

68

69
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.