Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #26
ShortlinesUSA

Good update, Joe. Sounds like things are going from busy to busier.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:26 AM   #27
Joe the Photog

I remember us talking about whether they might send a few wide nose GP40s to the L&C when the G&O bought them out. Well, it took a few years, but we have our answer to that question --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This one replaces L&C 2273 which has been sent back to Knoxville and will eventually be sent to a new home in Texas. Reportedly there is another Yadkin Valley unit coming soon. There are no plans to repaint them blue
Old 05-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #28
Joe the Photog

L&C GP40-2LW #9548 by Joe Hinson, on Flickr

I will have to wait a few day before getting an RP-worthy shot of the now-L&C 9548. In the meantime, there is this. They discarded the G&O wings on each side of the cab, but them on the front and back of the logo. Also gone is the YVRR logo that was on the cab side and the YVRR-lettering. They applied the Springmaid logo to both sides of the cab as well as Lancaster & Chester RR. Lastly, the touched up the black paint on the cab where the CN red was coming through as well as repainting the numbers on this side of the long hood. The numbers on the other side have held up pretty well.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #29
ShortlinesUSA

This view is most appreciated, Joe. Thanks for posting it here. Good to see the L&C/G&O took the effort to even do anything with this unit, as so many of the shortline holding companies would not have even re-lettered or retouched one square inch of this unit. A company whose name rhymes with OmniTrax comes to mind, for example... ;-p

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 05-31-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

I kinda like the opposing logos. I think I might be in the railfan minority on that though.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 05-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #31
Joe the Photog

Might as well update on this post... the L&C got an 8 million dollar grant to upgrade their traffic from Chester down to Kershaw for heavier cars including the original bridge on their own line and to also buy three new locomotives. They seem to be awash in new to them power. They just got former YVRR #7092 which I believe is former BN SD40-2, same number. They also acquired four ex-CSX SD60s (maybe 60Ms, I can't remember right now) which were built for Conrail. I don't believe any of these ex-CSX motors have been put to work yet. (The Yadkin Valley also got a few which are working for them now.) The L&C SD60s are

ex-CSX 8770, 8778, 8782 and 9784
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #32
ShortlinesUSA

Good update, Joe. All of those ex-CSX units are SD60Ms.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #33
Joe the Photog

Longtime L&C Railway president Steve Gedney passed away this past Friday at age 76 from complication due to cancer. Mr. Gedney is creditted with making the L&C what it is today in many ways. Consider this. When he came to the L&C in 1989, the Springmaid Line was a quaint little line still mostly beholden to their textile owner, Springs Mills. They had a roster which consisted of only three EMD SW900s and ran one trin a day M-F.

Gedney once told me the wheels of change were underway on the L&C when he got here, but he took the drivers seat in a lot of ways. The first big change to the L&C was getting Circle S Feed Mills to build on their line. They bought four SW1200s and two SW1500s and leased three more end cabs to handle traffic. I routinely shot five and six end cab lash ups and I know they ran eight of them on a train once that I missed.

Next came the acquisition of the former Southern Railway line that connected to the L&C at Lancaster. It was the first increase in route mileage for the L&C in their then 105 year history. Shortly thereafter, they began acquiring GP38 type locomotives.

Gedney stayed on at the L&C after the railroad was bought by the Gulf & Ohio in 2010. The link below from the Lancaster News details that a little more. He was creditted with helping the counties of Lancaster and Chester through his work at the L&C.

https://www.thelancasternews.com/con...oading-dies-76
https://www.railwayage.com/freight/s...ney-1943-2019/
Old 04-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #34
Joe the Photog

Latest motive power news is they got an SD40-2 from the Yadkin Valley, #7092, which is believed to be former BN, same number, sans dynamic brakes. It is painted black and still has the YVRR lettering and logo. This one is supposed to get L&C lettering soon. The number is on the cab and not the long hood which makes me wonder where the L&C lettering will be.

It has taken them some time to get the ex-Con SD60s operating and right now, I believe the 8782 is the only one running. It is still is CSX bue and gold, but they have patched over all CSX lettering. I have only seen pictures of it, not in person, and I don't believe it has any L&C lettering. I have heard all kinds of rumors about what paint these four might get. The story is different depending on who you talk to. I tell the folks who tell me to just send me a pic of it out of the paint booth.

When they came online, I said the cheap way to go would be to paint everything that is gold now white and leave everything else blue, put the lettering and Springmaid on the long hood and you could even put the G&O wings on the nose. But I'm just a railfan, LOL

They also have another slug, though I am not sure they have used it yet. It was painted black in Knoxville. I like the old style L&C logo

Lancaster & Chester RR #52 Jeremy Wright by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

L&C #52 was built in 1969 as Houston Belt & Terminal SW1500 #52. It was then sold to the Gulf & Ohio's Atlantic and Gulf Railroad as AGFL 52, then to Conecuh Valley Railroad (COEH 52). It must have sat around a long time as the last photograph I can find of it (so far) is from 2006 until Jeremy Wright shot this one last December.

JEREMY WRIGHT PHOTO, used with permission by me.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #35
ShortlinesUSA

Your updates are always appreciated, Joe. I'm helping my mom out for awhile here in Charleston. If the stay at home orders will ever clear up before I have to return to Tennessee, I'd love to make a run up to the L&C. Things have changed a lot, even though I visited just a couple of years ago.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #36
Joe the Photog

I hope you and your mom are OK, Mike. With some restrictions being lifted in South Carolina, you should be able to get out and get some photos hike you're in state. You should definitely hit up the Palmetto Railway
Old 04-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #37
ShortlinesUSA

All's well, Joe. I think next week will be a good time to start easing back into some railfanning around here. Palmetto is a sharp scheme. I've hit it a few times on previous visits. There is still plenty left that I haven't shot, though.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #38
Joe the Photog

So that 8 million dollar grant is being put to work. I never considered this when I heard about the grant, but they are upgrading th former Southern line to take six axle power. No new power that I am aware of, but I suspect most of the GPs are on borrowed time. Part of the upgrade is to pull up the crossing right at the office over Main Str. They are going to build a new track to get to te SB line from between the shops and office which will mean a lot of ground being filled. Interesting times oon the L&C

Oh, those ex-CSX SD6Ms? Going to be painted black from what I hear.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #39
ShortlinesUSA

Very interesting news, Joe. I have an idea where you're talking about for that new connection, but what would building that accomplish? Any particular moves that would facilitate?

On a small scale, seems it would eliminate a timely run-around move, but that's something shortlines rarely sink big bucks into. But then again, more often than not there are thousands of ties to replace and bridges that need work on so many of these lines.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #40
Joe the Photog

About the only thing I can think it would do is to get off the track a little earlier. Trains have to crawl past the office which brings traffic to a stop once it hits Main and then Market Street. people are always complaining about train traffic through there, but what else is new?