Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Digital photography; post processing possibilities boggle my mind.

Monopod; won't leave home without it, what with getting close to the big 50...

Practice, practice, practice. And when you think you know and have done it all, practice some more.

BarrySr
Kingwood, TX

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 AM   #27
KevinM

Good grief, where do I begin?
  • Getting a DSLR...it shoots when I pull the trigger...not sometime next week
  • Learning to shoot manual and get consistent exposures
  • Carrying an eye loop for quick evaluation (and adjustment) of exposure
  • Getting and learning PSE 6
  • Submitting my work to the scrutiny of the "big guns" here!
  • Chasing with the likes of the Killer Bs

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #28
chris crook

Default another word...

booze.

(just kidding. practice. and mad people skillz, except on the internet.)

edit: I mistyped by putting mad people skillz. what has helped my photography is learning about my subject. if you have knowledge about your subject, especially what people do, then you can discuss things with them. it shows respect to show an interest in what people are doing. people who feel respected feel more comfortable having you around, and thus relax when you are taking their picture.

Flickr: Armco_block

Last edited by chris crook; 11-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
Ween

Here's another before & after/what the hell was I thinking back then:

Aug 07:

Nov 08:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 199757
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

All 4 of these examples were processed using the same software (ACR, PS CS2, and DPP). The difference is crazy...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #30
lock4244

Chris, I don't think you're alone on the post processing evolution. Time was, I did not even know what that meant other than scanning a slide and cropping it. Over time we all grow in terms of how we shoot and how we edit. I suppose that post processing is so integral to digital photography, that we develop a processing style as much as the develop a shooting style. Some can even be recognized by their processing style (usually by processing the shot beyond what is considered reality).

I tend to process for what is realistic when I submit a shot, but I've edited a few beyond reality for the personal collection. They can be quite striking. I've also played with PS brush filters which I find can turn the right shot into a pretty neat "painting".

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #31
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
I hear ya on this one. Ditto in Ontario... botanists dream, railfans nightmare.
It kills me...there's so many good shots around here that USED to be back in the 80s and whatnot...now, everything is so damn overgrown that a lot of these more wide-open shots just aren't there anymore. God knows the modern day railroads aren't going to spend money to cut brush back...

In the words of a fellow photographer, "This is how it looked before they invented trees".
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
lock4244

Nick, they should sell flame throwers at the Home Depot

The shot below is a favorite spot for myself and many others to shoot CN at Newtonville, Ontario. It was not possible to get this angle until a few years ago when Ontario Hydro decimated the brush alongside the road that was encroaching on their power lines. They opened up this nice shot, but record rains over the summer have caused the brush to regrow and I now need my ladder to get a clean shot. Soon, there will be no shot... unless I prune it myself. It's on public land, but the local farm owners house is right at the road and I'm not sure if he'd get bunched up.

Image © Mike Lockwood
PhotoID: 240791
Photograph © Mike Lockwood

There are a few places that are wide open right now, but I've seen saplings and the like start to take root. I've made quick work of these and have started to get into the habbit of pruning when and where I can. In October I was up near Parry Sound, Ontario, shooting fall colours and a favorite spot was going to have some trees blocking it in about three or four years when they grew tall enough. So, now they're dead... or at least about 2 - 4 inches tall. Some were at the 15' range, but the trunks were still thin enough to cut with shears.

More Pics Here
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
Nick, they should sell flame throwers at the Home Depot

The shot below is a favorite spot for myself and many others to shoot CN at Newtonville, Ontario. It was not possible to get this angle until a few years ago when Ontario Hydro decimated the brush alongside the road that was encroaching on their power lines. They opened up this nice shot, but record rains over the summer have caused the brush to regrow and I now need my ladder to get a clean shot. Soon, there will be no shot... unless I prune it myself. It's on public land, but the local farm owners house is right at the road and I'm not sure if he'd get bunched up.

Image © Mike Lockwood
PhotoID: 240791
Photograph © Mike Lockwood

There are a few places that are wide open right now, but I've seen saplings and the like start to take root. I've made quick work of these and have started to get into the habbit of pruning when and where I can. In October I was up near Parry Sound, Ontario, shooting fall colours and a favorite spot was going to have some trees blocking it in about three or four years when they grew tall enough. So, now they're dead... or at least about 2 - 4 inches tall. Some were at the 15' range, but the trunks were still thin enough to cut with shears.
Wait untill some tree hugger sees this post! I was talking to a county worker the other day. He said that when they mow down the sides of the roads people will stop and yell at them, telling them that the birds live there and so one.
People need to get out of their small worlds and realize that the 100 acres that the roads go around have plenty of room for the wildlife.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
lock4244

Trees are plentiful. We can spare a few.

I find it ironic that the majority of tree huggers live in cities where they cut down the trees and name the streets after them, as they say. But thats a whole other topic.

More Pics Here
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
Kelly Lynch

What has helped me, personally and professionally, is a healthy disaffection for the mediocre. More to the point, when I stumble upon poor technique, execution, or motivation, the fire in the belly heats up a notch or two.

Seeing others do well is one thing to be inspired be, but seeing others perform poorly is enough to always make me want to achieve something stronger.

KL

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #36
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch
seeing others perform poorly is enough to always make me want to achieve something stronger.
Come on up my way and I'll show you enough mediocrity to put your subsequent work in the National Gallery of Art!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote