Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

View Poll Results: From the list below, which state do you think would be best to get a picture?
Maryland 1 4.55%
West Virginia 5 22.73%
Virginia 2 9.09%
Tennessee 2 9.09%
Arkansas 1 4.55%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Texas 1 4.55%
New Mexico 9 40.91%
Arizona 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #76
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
Tell me something please. Why wont rp.net accept pictures of something like OLD signals. Like from when reading first started?
Well, first, to quote myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
... shots accepted at RP, the answer is, just like any other shot, yes if they are good!
Second, they accept shots of old signals that are in use. Are you talking about shots recently taken by you? Are they of signals in use or signals abandoned? Here is one in-use (still!) shot
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 172696
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

among many, many others.

Third, there is the general issue of "abandonment" shots - shots of old ROW and other things no longer in use. They have gotten stricter on those - they have to be interesting shots now! (Oops, I've revealed my bias against those shots!! ) What sort of a shot do you have in mind?

Gerald Oliveto is a master of these sorts of shots (and an occasional forum participant); here is a signal bridge by him

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 227642
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto

Go through all his stuff for a sense of what is accepted here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-04-2008 at 09:34 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #77
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Well, first, to quote myself

Second, they accept shots of old signals that are in use. Are you talking about shots recently taken by you? Are they of signals in use or signals abandoned? Here is one in-use (still!) shot
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 172696
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

among many, many others.

Third, there is the general issue of "abandonment" shots - shots of old ROW and other things no longer in use. They have gotten stricter on those - they have to be interesting shots now! (Oops, I've revealed my bias against those shots!! ) What sort of a shot do you have in mind?

Gerald Oliveto is a master of these sorts of shots (and an occasional forum participant); here is a signal bridge by him

Image © Gerald Oliveto

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=504013&key=0

not in use.... sadly.. great condition. Owner of the station keeps it clean.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #78
Darryl Rule

A few things with your photo. First off, your remarks say signal, but it looks to be part of a switch stand. Second, if this is at Temple Station, it is on the Pennsy, not the Reading.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #79
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

It is on the reading side though, Where all the READING cars sit. maybe thats why it was rejected. Maybe if i change that information it will be accepted.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #80
Darryl Rule

All the Reading cars are sitting on the BM&R which is former PRR trackage. The NS line is the old Reading line. As for the picture, I don't think that changing the name will make a difference. While it is interesting to read what is on the switch, I don't see the shot getting on the site.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #81
JRMDC

Quote:
It is on the reading side though, Where all the READING cars sit. maybe thats why it was rejected. Maybe if i change that information it will be accepted.
ns, I'll be harsh, you need to try harder, you need to focus more on what is being said to you. "Poor Esthetic Quality" does not mean bad information; nothing at all like that is in the phrase. It refers to the image. It is saying that RP does not want it, either because it is an uninteresting shot for some reason or because RP simply doesn't want that kind of a shot.

In this case, I would say the reason is that the railroad aspect of the shot is not at all obvious. It could be a piece of metal from any industry. One can barely tell there are ties involved in the background. Furthermore, the subject is flat, uninteresting as a photograph. And, to boot, poor light. It is neither a good photograph nor an ok photograph of an interesting railroad object.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #82
Kelly Lynch

I think it would be advisable if our young learner would spend less time replying to our friends here on the board and more time with a camera in hand.

Coming back to nit pick every angle and responding to every fuss is exhaustive and after a term, self-defeating.

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #83
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch
I think it would be advisable if our young learner would spend less time replying to our friends here on the board and more time with a camera in hand.

Coming back to nit pick every angle and responding to every fuss is exhaustive and after a term, self-defeating.
This last picture i posted on the forum was rejected BEFORE. I just wanted to find out what was wrong with it instead of it just saying, "Poor Esthetic Quality: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish" i wanted to see what others said.

I will try HARDER when i go out Sunday to New Hope Railroad. As i said before, i will keep you updated.

Also again, i hardly have time to take pictures. Like i said before, i only have off from work on Sundays and Wednesdays. The only time i have to respond to your forums are when i am at school, on break, or at home for the little time i am. I have not taken pictures since wednesday. (the norfolk southern unit with the sunbeam) that wasnt really good. That i am going to try harder to avoid.

Now with that picture i defently took "someones"(?) advice who said keep the sun to your back. Which i clearly did. Again i will try Harder on Sunday and let you know.

Last edited by norfolksouthern; 04-05-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #84
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Okay, I think what we need to do here is work from a basic wedgie up.
You've got the sun at your back - Good. Now try to include the entire train in the frame, or as much as possible without getting dead space. Do your best to not have anything blocking the train, and try to use elements that you would judge to be interesting in the background. (Ween can definitely show this off well, since the area where he lives is a wedgie-shooter's paradise!)
Once you've mastered the wedge shot, we can move on to more interesting compositions!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #85
Darryl Rule

norfolksouthern, I agree with the post above mine, when you have time, just go out and try to get a basic shot and work from there. If you have a few free minutes before Sunday, search New Hope and Ivyland on this site and see the kinds of shots people have from there and try to duplicate what you see. I know there are shots right in the station area on here, so use them as a start. And don't worry about how much time you have to shoot. If I get out once or twice a month, I'm happy as I have other things I enjoy doing besides sitting by railroad tracks my whole life (girls and sports to name a couple). So use the time you have and try to improve each time you go out. Post a shot on here once in a while and continue listening to those willing to give you advice on what to do better.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #86
transit383

Quote:

Image © Gerald Oliveto

Thanks, Janusz!

Abandonment shots are tricky, but where there's an abandoned railroad there is usually something cool to go along with it, like these:

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 222207

The last time I saw tracks like that, I was at Six Flags Great Adventure!

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 208379

I started walking down this abandoned line, and it seemed just like any other... overgrown, but tracks still in decent condition. Until I discovered the washout and the tracks in that condition.

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 213940

What I thought would be just another unused rail line turned into this discovery (and my most popular shot). Someone along the out of service CNJ Mainline painted a crude Jersey Central logo on this abandoned crossing signal cabinet.

And then there's my favorite abandonment shot:

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 217742

Every time I look at this photo, I'm in awe just like I was when I stumbled upon this for the first time out in Phillipsburg.

If you go through my "most popular" photos, they are mostly abandonment shots and you can see what is accepted (and what generates high view counts).

Gerald
Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #87
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Will Do

Post a shot on here once in a while and continue listening to those willing to give you advice on what to do better.

This i will do! i do not want this forum to stop, same with the other one titled "Easy question" as long as people keep answering, i will keep it going, as long as someone else does not do anything stupid like i did, i dont think admin will close it.

Well, will a shot like my picture to the left work? head on? If i get a chance and it is a push/pull train, i will sit in the back and when being pushed, i will film and post on youtube. I THINK THIS WILL BE AWESOME!!! and i will try to do the best i can taking shots. They might not make it on, but i know that soon or later i will get atleast one on.

I NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME WITH THIS: SIMPLE. i tried to do something new with my website and i need someone to go there that is on a different computer outside of mine and tell me if music plays. Simple like i said.

Thank You
railroadlover---Ben Kopicz
Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #88
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Here They Are!!

Ok Here are the pictures that i took. Please tell me which is the best in your opinion. If none, say none. I would love criticism. Don't worry about being harsh either. I DONT CARE! There are 09. Also i am uploading the video on to youtube, when complete, i will post the link here. Tell me what you think of that.

Above:my favorite!

Thats All of them(it seams like i did this for hours)
Again, Be Harsh if you need to be Harsh
Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #89
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Sorry man but they just arent up to par yet, but you are getting a little better. They are over exposed, unlevel, parts of engines are cropped off and it looks as if it was cloudy. Just keep working at it, looking forward to the vid!
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #90
JRMDC

What Walter said. Comments on individual shots for your future benefit:

[On all shots: light was bad, overcast day, nothing you can do but you generally wont get such shots on RP unless there is something else that is special, and nothing was in these. Can't emphasize that enough - the light was bad. Bummer, frustrating, nothing you can do, but the light was not good enough to make standard shots from that day and location RP-worthy. Also, the image quality looks quite poor at times, shots not sharp.]

1: subject is right in the center and distant, and the foreground is empty. And the background is muddled. Also, in general, for steam leave room above for the steam to "go" somewhere. Here pointing up a bit more would have also helped get rid of the empty foreground, as would walking closer to the engine or zooming.

2: aside from dark (black engine in front of bright overcast sky is usually doomsville), you have a distracting orange cone right in the middle. Engine too high again, too much foreground, this time uninteresting instead of empty.

3: roster shot, bad light

4: roster shot, bad light, and you chop off part of the engine on the right, big no-no

5: you cut off the bottom of the engine!!!!!!! That sort of thing is just something you have to teach yourself to notice.

6: putting aside whether one wants to cut off part of a steam engine in favor of a tender , you have cut off part of the tender (see 4 and 5). Especially bad image quality. Person on the tender jammed into the corner of the shot and hat cut off (see 5).

7: engine is in the center (rule of thirds, rule of thirds). Put the engine a bit more on the left and include the entire end of the passenger car on the right instead of cutting it off (see 4, 5, 6)

8: ok, my main complaint is that, for steam, you want to leave more room up top for the plume

9: roster shot, CUT OFF (see 4,5,6,7). And not level (see "teach yourself to notice" under 5). And not so hot a foreground although you might get away with it.

Keep trying, study these shots and others and learn from your mistakes.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #91
Ben Kopicz
Banned

OK. thanks for the feed back.

FOR THE RECORD i did not send these pictures in. this was posted on my website so that you could view them.

FOR THE VIDEO: i will upload it tomorrow. Youtube seems to be having problems uploading my video.(weird) anyway, this happened before and it worked the next day.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #92
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default The Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0WLZYyNCqzU

Tell me what you think. I am an amateur as i am a picture taker, but i think i am better at this then picture taking.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #93
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0WLZYyNCqzU

Tell me what you think. I am an amateur as i am a picture taker, but i think i am better at this then picture taking.
I am kinda shocked that NO ONE answered to this yet. I would love someones opinion on the video. PLease give me atleast ONE.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #94
Joe the Photog

Why? Folks on here give you their opinions and advice and it seems to go right through you. You come right back and ask the same questions again. It's very tiring.

Joe
Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #95
JimThias

Quote:
I am kinda shocked that NO ONE answered to this yet. I would love someones opinion on the video. PLease give me atleast ONE.
Perhaps you'll get some response to your video if you post it here:

http://forums.railpictures.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #96
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [left
JimThias[/left]]Perhaps you'll get some response to your video if you post it here:

http://forums.railpictures.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19
OK here is an update:until i can get a chance to get help with photography, i will not take pictures. I now have a tripod and i will be putting videos online. If railvideos.net does not accept it, it will go onto youtube. I think videos are my calling, only if i could hold it still. Thank you to all who give your comment they are
appreciated
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #97
alstom
Banned

Ben - just like everything else, videotaping trains takes trial and error and some practice. I too have an account on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/CSXno601). I did not learn to do video and maneuver the tripod as well as I do overnight, or in the amount of time you have been videotaping trains for that matter. Resist the urge to continuously pan with the power. Do NOT excessively zoom. Click the following link on some helpful tips that I have written regarding videotaping trains.
http://jeffreywimberly.proboards100....lay&thread=934

As for photography, like explained, try to be creative with the photograph. You are in the beginning stages, and just like all beginners, you are most concerned about the power and the train, and getting as many photos as possible. You seem to have a fairly decent camera. Try to use it well. Don't let obstructions get in the way of your subject matter. Don't resize in Microsoft Paint. I learned about that maniacal skewl/sketch feature of their's the hard way, and regret every minute that I used it.

Among other things, take note on what the people here have been saying. Don't just blow it off and continue taking the exact same photos. Try to improve quality, care a little less about quantity. I don't feel the need to repeat the steps of photography, as I already have explained them to you in the past.

As for you being shocked that a near 24-hour period occurred before a reply was made to your post regarding your videos, give the forum some time. There are plenty of threads here to stay occupied with. Alot of people browse other threads other than this one. The forum does also become slow like the railroad. Just be patient.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #98
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Ben - just like everything else, videotaping trains takes trial and error and some practice. I too have an account on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/CSXno601). I did not learn to do video and maneuver the tripod as well as I do overnight, or in the amount of time you have been videotaping trains for that matter. Resist the urge to continuously pan with the power. Do NOT excessively zoom. Click the following link on some helpful tips that I have written regarding videotaping trains.
http://jeffreywimberly.proboards100....lay&thread=934

As for photography, like explained, try to be creative with the photograph. You are in the beginning stages, and just like all beginners, you are most concerned about the power and the train, and getting as many photos as possible. You seem to have a fairly decent camera. Try to use it well. Don't let obstructions get in the way of your subject matter. Don't resize in Microsoft Paint. I learned about that maniacal skewl/sketch feature of their's the hard way, and regret every minute that I used it.

Among other things, take note on what the people here have been saying. Don't just blow it off and continue taking the exact same photos. Try to improve quality, care a little less about quantity. I don't feel the need to repeat the steps of photography, as I already have explained them to you in the past.

As for you being shocked that a near 24-hour period occurred before a reply was made to your post regarding your videos, give the forum some time. There are plenty of threads here to stay occupied with. Alot of people browse other threads other than this one. The forum does also become slow like the railroad. Just be patient.
My most recent video, is a far-shot video. I am pretty far away from the train. I do not have it on Youtube yet, but it is coming. I think this one got pretty good, you can see the entire train the whole time, and it does not move around(that much-(i bumped the camera once and that shook it a little)-) Like i said i really do think it got pretty good. I will post a responce on this site when i get it on.

As for my camera, it is a Kodak C813. It is a pretty good camera. I can take BIG pictures, i just can not take good pictures. The pictures get to be 30x40 inch. and the zoom is outragous.

Thank You for The post.