Old 12-03-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
aem7demon

Default Favorite Amtrak Locomotives

Well, I've seen a lot of pictures for Amtrak and I have come up with a list of my top ten locs.

10. SW1500- may not be the best, but is the most improtant. I love the Phase IV paint.
9. C40-9W- I love to drive this train on MSTS. Plus, the standard of American freight.
8. EMD E Series, (E7, E8, E9) and the FL9. Love the look and design. Plus, they were great for passenger service and still are. The FL9 looks great as well. The movie Silver Streak inspired my liking of the E and F series.
7. Rohr Turboliner- I like the design of this train. The pre-Acela high-speed area. Thank God for geniuses in the 70's. Can't wait for the 7 to be refurbished and running along the NEC. (May become the next Metroliners)
6. GP40WH-2- MARC has some of these trains and I love the sound of these in push-pull service. Plus, they make me like the GP38s.
5. GG-1- Too bad I was born 5 years after they were retired. I would have loved them. The desgin was nice. Good people with good minds in the 30's. Long live the PRR.
4. E-44- These have to have been the most powerful electirc used for freight (well, it might have been the GG-1). Plus, the first time I've seen electric freight trains on the NEC. I wonder what the trains had to do if they were traveling south of D.C.
3. ALP-46- I love the design and I hope Amtrak buys some from Bombardier.
2. HHP-8/Acela trainset- The HHp-8 is the greastes looking electric I've ever seen. If you compare it to the GG-1, you might tell if the HHP-8 is the cousin of the GG-1. Plus, the Acela trainsets are the most luxurious trians ever. A big thanks to Amtrak for buying these. I wonder if they'll get the JetTrains.
1. AEM-7- I love the "Toasters". Best locs ABB ever made. These will survive longer than any other electric.

Oh, and I like the F59PHI's and the GE P Series.
aem7demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
iCe

Send a message via MSN to iCe

3. GE P42DC
2. HHP-8
1. Acela Trainset

http://members.rogers.com/will2004/Banner.jpg</A>
iCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 AM   #3
Guilford350

Here are mine:

3. AEM-7
2. HHP-8
1. Acela
Guilford350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Himphill

All of this modern passenger power is just uninspired junk. Non of it will have the staying power of the biggest, baddest Amtrak (and PRR, and PC, and Conjob) juice jack of the all, the GG1. And lets not be hasty to neglect the E60 as well. They where ugly, rakeish, fast, dependable and got millions and millions of poeple where they needed to go.

A AEM7 has no soul, The acelas are a passing fad, and the P40s well, thats not the locomotive, just box it came in.
Himphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
iCe

On the contrary, I think American passenger rail modernized too slow. Only now, are we catching up with Europe and Japan.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:44 PM   #6
iCe

On the contrary, I think American passenger rail modernized too slow. Only now, are we catching up with Europe and Japan.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

I cant say I Care much for the looks of the Amtrak GE's,(P40s and kin) I Have ran them, rode on them, and photographed them, and they just dont cut it in any form....or looks. But then again, even the older passenger engines that GE produced like the E60 or the "Pooch" didnt have great astetic form. I was Never a fan of electric power, but the GG1 is just a classic american icon.

The EMD's are a differnt breed (with the exception of the F59s)... The F40 looked as great as it sounded...to bad there arent many of those left around.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #8
iCe

Yeah, the F59 is really the ugliest thing out there...

Old 12-07-2003, 04:27 AM   #9
mojo628

I'd say the ones that were on time...... but there's not very many of those around. :P

"Beat to fit.... paint to match!!"
mojo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:34 PM   #10
nsrayman
Banned

my favorite is the EMD F40PH

here is a view of them pulling freight for NS.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=40602
nsrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 PM   #11
milepost 48.1

Send a message via AIM to milepost 48.1

aem7demon, I think you mean P32BHW, not a C40-9W.
milepost 48.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 PM   #12
milepost 48.1

Send a message via AIM to milepost 48.1

<post deleted>
milepost 48.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
battalion51

Send a message via AIM to battalion51

While the P-40's run best, and the P-32-8 is the best old schoolish engine Amtrak owns, I'm going to have to go with the P-42. The controls are set up well (bail in a good location comapred to a P-40 or P-32-, the computers while retarted at times, to provide good information older engines don't, and the cab is very comfortable in my humble opinion.
battalion51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #14
E3429

While I'm sure the newer locomotives are more fuel efficient and all than the older ones, in my opinion they're all getting a little boring. Between the wide cab C44's on up, SD---Macs, and Amtrak's P40 Dust-Busters, if I was getting started in this hobby today, I doubt I'd stay with it very long. It's about at the point where I won't even shoot a wide cab unless there's something extremely out of the ordinary about it. How many shots of an NS C44 do I really need?

Don't even get me started on the ever decreasing amount of actual roads (with the exception of Union Pacific as a class 1). How long before they all merge to one? Yeah, I know-business is business. Just doesn't do much for the hobby in my opinion.

Rant over.
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #15
ddavies

Best Amtrak owned engine, GG1 of course.

Best engine to pull an Amtrak train ... C&O 614
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #16
C40dash8

5. E60 electric. Awesome pulling power, but unreliable and scary above 80 mph.
4. Genesis engines. Not much to look at, but more comfortable for the crew. Plus I'm told they actually accelerate a heavy train to speed better than the F40's. (I wouldn't have believed it).
3. GG1. An American classic, and the engine I grew up photographing. Many old heads would tell you this is the best engine they ever ran. Hard on the crew, though--hot in the summer, cold in the winter and noisy all the time.
2. F40. Practically bulletproof, in spite of Amtrak's "maintenance". The HEP made the unit run wide open all the time making it noisy inside but it sounded restless and ready at station stops. I'm glad CSX has two, even if they could have the ex-CR E8's instead
And the winner is.......
1. AEM7. Fast, reliable and comfortable. I rode a lot of miles on these during my career with Amtrak and the memories will make it my all time favorite of any locomotive.

I left Amtrak before the HHP's and Acelas showed up. But I would love to ride 'em both.
C40dash8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:57 AM   #17
J

Regarding the P40/42's ability to out-accelerate an F40, not too surprising if you consider the increased horse power.

As for the Acelas and HHP-8's, they've been plagued with problems. Just a few:

- Well-publicized cracking on the yaw damper brackets
- Decorative grilles along the roofs were in danger of falling off and had to be removed for re-engineering
- Traction motor ducts problems
Read the other day that more than 50% of the Acela train sets were out of service. Amtrak mechanical folks will tell you they wish the company had bought the ABB X-2000 design.

http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_n...ArticleID=3532
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
BALTIMORERAILFAN42

Default AMTRAK

JUST AFTER AMTRAK WAS FORMED THEY RAN SOME OF THE OLD PENN CENTRAL GG-1'S STILL PAINTED BLACK WITH WHITE AMTRAK WRITING ON THEM. THESE WERE SOME WELL WORN BUT SWEET LOCOS

THE PERFECT PINT
BALTIMORERAILFAN42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
J

March Trains Magazine shows final E60's being scrapped at Wilmington.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:50 AM   #20
C40dash8

That picture of Amtrak scrapping E60's is ironic considering that in the same magazine there is a mention of a shortage of electric engines! They actually lasted a lot longer than I thought they would.
C40dash8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #21
Anonymous

I really don't care for the looks of any of the Amtrash engines... best "looking" engines that I liked were the D&H's PA-1's
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:22 AM   #22
Gregory Wallace

<<...like desperados waiting for a train...>>

I can't believe it -- somebody here actually quoted that classic Guy Clark song.

Way to go!

~Gregory
Gregory Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #23
Chessie4033

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3429
While I'm sure the newer locomotives are more fuel efficient and all than the older ones, in my opinion they're all getting a little boring. Between the wide cab C44's on up, SD---Macs, and Amtrak's P40 Dust-Busters, if I was getting started in this hobby today, I doubt I'd stay with it very long.
Boring? Come see the Water Level Route around Utica, NY. Granted there are more than our fair share of CW44-6's and AC4400CW's and the like, it also can be enormously colorful. In the past week or so, I've seen Union Pacific, Canadian National, BNSF (Heritage II, Heritage I, and blue bonnet), Norfolk Southern, and several leased locomotives (HLCX, GCFX, CEFX). Cascade Green is relatively common, be it HLCX or BNSF. Several older CSX units have also made appearences, including GP38-2s, a GP40-2, B40-8, B30-7 (I'm told, didn't actully see this one), C36-7, and a B23-7R. Conrail blue is still around and former LMS Dash 8s. They add a touch of color, despite being CSX. And, CSX itself has two paint schemes that are pretty common. Stealth colors show up occasionally, too. Amtrak also runs eight trains a day, usually running P42s or P32AC-DMs depending on the train. The other day a P40 came through. It is also not all that uncommon for all three of Amtrak's locomotive paint schemes to show up on a given day.
With all this, I never know what is going to show up, and it keeps me going back out there. It is not boring in the least.
Chessie4033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:05 AM   #24
E3429

I still think it was more interesting years ago. Back before everything was 'X'ed. BNSF is the only one out there who seems to have put any thought into the paint scheme of their power. Sorry, the NS 'Horse Head' doesn't do that much for me or the others I hang out with here. The new CSX blue is ok, but CSX still doesn't sound like a railroad. We get a variety of mixed lease units here, too. First Union bank and Helm Leasing don't exactly conjure up images of a railroad either. Union Pacific still makes appearences. Usually in the form of a wide cab C-something or an SD70M. They're ok, but still. My opinion is that it was more interesting when the majority wasn't equipt with wide cabbed 6 axels and ditch lights and quick patched lease engines. Give me a shot of a string of Chessie or Southern units over a colorful mixture of black,grey,green,silver,maroon,
and what ever other color they come in now. If that's what people like, that's fine. Just not what I'm looking for. I see it kind of like when steam was replaced with diesel. You have to wonder how many fans lost interest
at that point. Just an opinion!
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:37 PM   #25
Chessie4033

Quote:
My opinion is that it was more interesting when the majority wasn't equipt with wide cabbed 6 axels and ditch lights and quick patched lease engines.
I can see where you're coming from, but I like the variety I see here. I grew up along Conrail's Fort Wayne line between Pittsburgh and Conway, where I knew all too well what was going to come down the tracks (yet more Conrail blue). The few Amtraks we had (the Capitol Limited and the Broadway Limited) came through between midnight and dawn. Also, back then there was plenty of standard cab SDs and GPs running around. Not a whole lot of variety, but I still wish I could go back and see it again.

I fell in love with wide nosed Dash 8s the first time I saw one (I know I'll get a lot of ridicule for that). Maybe it was because they looked radically different from anything else that was running on Conrail at the time. Aside from the SD80MAC, I don't think EMD's wide nosed locomotives look as sharp as GE's. They seem unbalanced to me, with the wide cab and thin rear. I also personally like the look of ditch lights on the locomotives. It adds a little something that is hard to place.

Quote:
Give me a shot of a string of Chessie or Southern units over a colorful mixture of black,grey,green,silver,maroon,
and what ever other color they come in now.
I would love if Chessie were still around. I would trade all of this variety for solid Chessie trains again. They ran across the river from where I grew up, so I was never able to get over there and get some shots of Chessie (I was six when CSX paint started showing up). I remember them with fondness, though. But since Chessie is gone (but very much missed) I welcome the color that UP, CN, BNSF, CP, SOO, HLCX, FURX, GCFX, CEFX, etc. provide here on this ex-CR stretch of CSX.
Chessie4033 is offline   Reply With Quote