Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default Has anyone noticed?

Gas prices are again starting to plummet down to levels not seen in nearly a year.

Anyone putting money on the connection that elections are barely 2 months away and the GOP (Grand Oil Party) is trying to bolster their positions?
I think pushing their golf partners in the Oil Companies to drop prices so they can exploit it in the polling places.

Keep that in mind when you head for the polls. It's time for a change.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Ween

Quote:
I know this is the off topic forum, but man, I hope this doesn't devolve into a political debate...there's too much of that stuff on the net these days...
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
jdirelan87

I have to agree with Ween; not the time or place.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

Sean I tend to disagree...traditionally after Labor Day gas prices drop a lot anyway....with the summer vacation/driving season over with. And with the new find in the Gulf of Mexico of that very large oil field the other day...that did help the price per barrel drop significantly...from about $75 to almost 65 a barrel most recently. Supposedly for every dollar drop per barrel that equates to about 4cents per gallon price drop.

I don't understand completely the pricing anyway...here locally in the Vegas Valley...gas prices on the west side of town were around 2.65-2.75 a gallon...whereas where I live in the South east...it is still very close to 3.00 a gallon...go figure.

Mike
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Yeah, no politics or religion in this forum please.

Mike is right, gas falls this time because of decreased demand. Except on the recent find in the Gulf of Mexico, that oil wont be on line until at least 2012.

Admin, lock this thread b/c it may get ugly.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Yeah, no politics or religion in this forum please.

Mike is right, gas falls this time because of decreased demand. Except on the recent find in the Gulf of Mexico, that oil wont be on line until at least 2012.
I'll certainly agree that there are other factors. But gas in my area has dropped almost sixty cents in the last 5 days for no explicable reason. I can assure you my parent's minivan gets more use now than it did during the summer.

5 days ago one of our Republican Assemblymen and two of his cohorts announced that he was "introducing a bill" that would help alleviate the cost of fuel for working families. And imagine that, we wake up Friday morning to see the gas station down the street is 25 cents cheaper than when we went to bed. The bill doesn't go to vote until early October. Something's fishy, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Admin, lock this thread b/c it may get ugly.
Last time I checked I'm an American, that means I'm entitled to my opinion. As long as I post it in an off-topic forum that management has so graciously provided and I do not violate the codes of conduct, there is no reason to lock this thread. I'm a registered Republican as well, and believe me even I think the Republican party is up to no good.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Ween

Quote:
Last time I checked I'm an American, that means I'm entitled to my opinion. As long as I post it in an off-topic forum that management has so graciously provided and I do not violate the codes of conduct
This is all true, but this is where posting discretion comes into play.

For me, I want to read political debate here about as much as I want to read every single car vs. train situation that happens across the country.

Politics, religion, and football debates accomplish nothing as no one 'wins' any arguements and people trying to 'win' clutter everything up. So let's just focus on something we can all agree on, like how much we hate the UP!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
5 days ago one of our Republican Assemblymen and two of his cohorts announced that he was "introducing a bill" that would help alleviate the cost of fuel for working families. And imagine that, we wake up Friday morning to see the gas station down the street is 25 cents cheaper than when we went to bed.
That's not very surprising, the oil market is a futures market. As such, the price per barrel can and often does changes in anticipation of future events. This is an example of the price going down in anticipation of a new bill, a month ago prices went up a dollar barrel after it was released the that Trans-Alaskan pipeline would have to shut down for repairs. I think maybe this is just an example of the nature of the market.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoydie17
I'll certainly agree that there are other factors.
I'll agree that there is something fishy going on, but the price factor really comes down to one thing. It's mostly a matter of supply and demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
For me, I want to read political debate here about as much as I want to read every single car vs. train situation that happens across the country.
Well, if you don't want to read political debate, then don't click on the thread. Simple concept, no?

Quote:
Politics, religion, and football debates accomplish nothing as no one 'wins' any arguements and people trying to 'win' clutter everything up.
In regards to what? I doubt Sean's intent was to start an argument. Most everything in the off topic forum is related to trains in one way or another. What's wrong with having a little discussion about the fluxuation of gas prices with some opinions as to why? Believe it or not, it's possible to have a civil discussion about gas prices and politics. I don't believe anyone is trying to push their views on anyone else here.

Quote:
So let's just focus on something we can all agree on, like how much we hate the UP!
We probabaly can't all agree on that since not everyone here hates the UP like you do. I guess those of us who don't agree with your point of view are wrong, though. That's the impression I get.

Last edited by cmherndon; 09-12-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: MOLe-ishness
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
We probabaly can't all agree on that since not everyone here hates the UP like you do. I guess those of us who don't agree with your point of view are wrong, though. That's the impression I get.
I think its pretty clear Ween added the UP comment as a joke to lighten the mood of his message in an attempt not to anger anyone. You gotta read between the lines.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

As to the comment about the GOP party lowering prices, almost every incumbent president(including the Democratic ones) has requested that oil prices be lowered come election time. Just FYI.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #12
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I think its pretty clear Ween added the UP comment as a joke to lighten the mood of his message in an attempt not to anger anyone. You gotta read between the lines.
I got some lines that can be read between if he wants...but I'm just telling him he's 'Number 1.' At least that's what the NASCAR guys say when they're showing somebody some lines to read between!

Quote:
I don't believe anyone is trying to push their views on anyone else here.
Well, I don't know what this is then:
Quote:
GOP (Grand Oil Party)
Quote:
Throttles idle, full nose down, full left rudder...we're starting to spin out of control...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:

Dude, I did not TELL you that you HAD to go to the polls to vote against the GOP, and by calling it the "Grand Oil Party" is not "pushing" my views upon anyone. That's simply stating a personal observation, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm saying it like I see it. Plain and simple, as Herndon said, "don't like it, don't click on it."

Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #14
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Throttles idle, full nose down, full left rudder...we're starting to spin out of control...
Who cares? Hoydie is just stating an opinion. Do I totally agree with it? No. Am I gonna waste my time typing a response? No. Am I gonna change my opinion based on his comments? No

Quote:
This is all true, but this is where posting discretion comes into play.
That is a two way street.

Dude, I do not see how you can sit here and tell anyone not to state an opinion. Cause when you disagree with anything anyone says, they usually receive a flaming wall of text lecture. I know, I got one a few weeks ago when you had to toss your hat into the ring on the RP Elite membership thread, and try and cut me down for not buying a membership in the first place. And on this thread you are right in the middle of it again, stirring the pot.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
So let's just focus on something we can all agree on, like how much we hate the UP!
Ween, I have to agree to disagree with you. Do you agree?

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
Ween, I have to agree to disagree with you. Do you agree?
Sure, exceptions can be made, and because it's you, I'll let it slide! It doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for you though!

Quote:
And on this thread you are right in the middle of it again, stirring the pot.
Well, since there's a two-way street, let me give some advice that was given to me:

Quote:
"don't like it, don't click on it."
Does anybody find it ironic I'm catching flack for voicing my opinion about somebody else voicing their opinion? Man, those two-way streets can get congested with irony/hypocrisy pretty quick sometimes!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru1056
Am I gonna waste my time typing a response? No.
But isn't that what your doing? Typing a response....
Old 09-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #18
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Does anybody find it ironic I'm catching flack for voicing my opinion about somebody else voicing their opinion? Man, those two-way streets can get congested with irony/hypocrisy pretty quick sometimes!
There's no 2 ways about it Ween, you voiced your opinion in a round-about way that there was no need for this "political debate" here on these forums. And as I said, it's an OFF TOPIC forum, and I didn't violate published standards for these message boards. As it's been said, if you don't like it, ignore it an go on to something else, why pointlessly chime up that YOU don't want to see this stuff?

Therefore the only right you or anyone else has is to either participate in the discussion about the subject, or move on to another thread. Not to tell me that this isn't the place, or that you don't want to hear it in a round-about manner. You talked about discretion, it was your discretion that allowed you to read the thread and then post an unrelated response to it.

There's political debate all over these forums without me talking about gas prices which by the way, are just as related to railfanning as a discussion about police officers being overzealous and hostile towards railfans.

Admittedly, I wasn't addressing the impacts of gas prices on railfanning, BUT we have all felt the effects of gas prices one way or the other.

As a little man with big ears once said, albeit inter alia, by voting, you hire someone to do a job to keep you somewhat of a happy taxpayer. If they don't do that job, it's your civic duty to fire them, that's all I was getting at, nothing more nothing less. I never liked that guy, but I have to admit, he was on to something.

Sean

Last edited by hoydie17; 09-13-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
Ru1056

Quote:
But isn't that what your doing? Typing a response....
I meant from Hoydie.

Quote:
You live by the sword, die by the sword.

Last edited by Ru1056; 09-13-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #20
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Does anybody find it ironic I'm catching flack for voicing my opinion about somebody else voicing their opinion?
Not really. I don't think you're catching flack for voicing your opinion. I think it's more of the "If I say it, it's right. If you disagree, you're wrong." attitude you seem to bring here frequently.

Quote:
Man, those two-way streets can get congested with irony/hypocrisy pretty quick sometimes!
And you seem to know quite a bit about that. You said yourself, "this is where posting discretion comes into play." Well, how come you can't seem to practice that? Some of us enjoy discussing topics other than trains. If you don't like, again, you don't have to read it and you certainly don't have to post meaningless replies that do nothing more than disrupt discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoydie17
As it's been said, if you don't like it, ignore it an go on to something else, why pointlessly chime up that YOU don't want to see this stuff?
Exactly. I can't fathom why that concept is so hard for some people to grasp.

Quote:
There's political debate all over these forums without me talking about gas prices which by the way, are just as related to railfanning as a discussion about police officers being overzealous and hostile towards railfans.
Well said. There's no difference in discussing gas prices, overzealous cops, or even the policies here at RP. They're all political in one way or another.

Quote:
Admittedly, I wasn't addressing the impacts of gas prices on railfanning, BUT we have all felt the effects of gas prices one way or the other.
That we have. I have personally found myself taking fewer trips with the higher gas prices.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #21
NicTrain35

Quote:
Politics, religion, and football debates accomplish nothing as no one 'wins' any arguements and people trying to 'win' clutter everything up. So let's just focus on something we can all agree on, like how much we hate the UP!
I agree with this 100%. Ween had a very good point. Politic threads just don't work on railroad related forums. Heck, they don't work on any forum. There's bound to be at least one argument, but everyone has their own opinion. I feel that we should just let this go before unnecessary comments start to occur. I haven't made any comments in this thread, but I hate it when I see arguments occur. Just by looking at this thread, you can tell that it's not going in the positive direction. Lets try to focus on something that we all like to discuss.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #22
NSFan14

do you all know how most arguments occur

Religion and politics and every has there own opinion just like everyone has a butt
Old 09-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #23
Ween

Quote:
Lets try to focus on something that we all like to discuss.
I tried this quote already with some levity added in, but it did no good.

Quote:
Therefore the only right you or anyone else has is to either participate in the discussion about the subject, or move on to another thread.
So I have only the two options you listed? That's it? But I thought this was an off topic thread and, in your own words, "Last time I checked I'm an American, that means I'm entitled to my opinion. As long as I post it in an off-topic forum that management has so graciously provided and I do not violate the codes of conduct" I can post whatever I want to as well, on subject or not. I could talk about what I had for breakfast today if I felt like it (it was frosted mini-wheats, BTW).

But what my beef in this thread has become is this: Why can you post whatever you want in the off topic thread and use the 'it's off topic so I can post whatever I want and voice my opinion,' but yet, I can't respond to it in whatever manner I want?

Quote:
I think it's more of the "If I say it, it's right. If you disagree, you're wrong." attitude you seem to bring here frequently.
Well, not to prove your point for you, but this baited statement only leads to: you're wrong. Sorry you feel that way, but I'm actually a very open-minded person...I have to be with my job. Sorry you don't like people who have strong opinions, but that's life. And if you don't like the opinion or the person saying it, don't read it...at least that's what I'm getting out of this thread...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 AM   #24
Ru1056

Quote:
I know this is the off topic forum, but man, I hope this doesn't devolve into a political debate...there's too much of that stuff on the net these days...
If you didn't want to see this disolve into a political debate/ discussion then why did you post this? (Quotes below)This was after everyone one else responded without making political remarks or the remarks were pretty neutral in tone.

Quote:
Quote:
GOP (Grand Oil Party)

Quote:

Quote:
If you don't like the debate why feed it? If Hoydie's comments would have been left alone, they probably would have died out and we would move on to more stimulating discussion.

Quote:
I could talk about what I had for breakfast today if I felt like it (it was frosted mini-wheats, BTW).
I had fruit flavored Cheerios for breakfast, its like Fruit Loops, but without the sugar.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #25
Ween

Quote:
I had fruit flavored Cheerios for breakfast, its like Fruit Loops, but without the sugar.
I'm gonna have to try those sometime, but for now, there's gotta be some sugar (at least on the mini-wheats), otherwise it's like chewing on cardboard...