Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Frederick

Default What camera should I get?

I would like to get a new camera, but the digital rebels are out of my league when it comes to prices. I'm looking for a digital SLR that is around $500. Can anyone suggest a camera? Thank you.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Used Canon D60 or D30 (same camera essentaly, just D60 is 6mp vs the D30's 3mp, but that wont have a huge effect on quality on rp.net uploads since the size here is about 1mp in size). You can find a D30 on ebay with 2 okish lenses and a 256mb CF card for $350-500 and a D60 with the same for $500+ (on ebay).

However, are you sure you really want a D-SLR? They are alot heavier and larger to carry around, not to mention having to change lenses when you want a telephoto shot or a wide angle shot. Also, you have to be more careful to aviod getting dust on your sensor's low-pass filter, which can require alot of hard work and/or professional cleaning (my friend used up 4 cans of canned air just to get one speck of dust off of his ). A good camera that I've tried and used is the Panasonic Lumix FZ-30. It is 8mp and comes with a great lens (My FZ-15's is better though... ha) with a range of 35mm F2.8 to 420mm F3.7. You cannot change lenses, however you can add lenses to the front. It goes for about $575-800. Do a google, something will come up

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 12-02-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Here's one question. If you wanted to go with say...a Rebel XT, but couldn't fork out the cash up front. Would you be willing to finance it? That's how I got mine. Through Dell. Of course, I had an EF 35-80mm lense from my Canon film SLR, so I didn't need to add that to the expense. Just a thought.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonetrain
Also, you have to be more careful to aviod getting dust on your sensor's low-pass filter, which can require alot of hard work and/or professional cleaning (my friend used up 4 cans of canned air just to get one speck of dust off of his ).
I would think that would put a lot of condensation on the lens. That being propelled and all.

I was upset to find out that the digital SLRs have a limited number of lens actuations. I think I just ran my 10D into the ground.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
Pat Lorenz

I can tell you right now, you want a SLR camera. Dont buy a point and shoot, you will waste your money and you will not like it. But i am sure you already know this because you stated you want a Digital SLR. I dont know much about digital stuff because i dont like it, but i just thought you should know this.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #6
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

If money is truly a concern, I would suggest saving your finances up until you can afford to buy the camera YOU REALLY WANT. Don't settle for something halfway, if you're going to make the investment, make it a worthwhile one, not something to just hold you over.

If you're still able to take photos with your present camera, then tough it out for a few more months, or however long you figure it'll take, as time goes on the prices will decrease a little also.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
RJSorensen

I have used a Canon G5 with good results, also the G6 might be down in price to where it would fit your restraints. I am of the camp with a SLR, but would rather go shooting with a G5/G6 than stay home saving up for a dream system.

For me at least, shots in the can are worth more than dreams in the bush . . . I think you would be best served by a 5 megapixel or better, or as near as you can.

Your mileage may vary . . .

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Frederick

Thanks... I've also got my eye on the Nikon D50.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
ddavies

Most local camera stores like Ritz, will let you buy a camera with no interest for a year. You are opening a new credit card account actually, but MAKE SURE you pay it off within the year, or you will pay all the back interest. I bought my D70 that way. Since the price is about the same everywhere, this is about the only incentive to buy at one particular store.

Study the camera systems closely (there others now, not just Canon and Nikon), because you you deciede, you will be locked into that system and have to buy all lenses or bodies to match.

(Locked into Nikon and loving it)
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote