Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default Composition for next time

Here is a link to a reject, and attached is an original image of the entire scene. I have no problem with the reject in general. However, I think its weakness is not foreground clutter but flat light - because of the time of day, the light came in at just the right angle to leave no contrasty shadows in any of the main walls.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=450160537

My question is what do I do next time? The red railing is in front of the tracks all the way across, obviously. So it's a big problem. When I ran across this location Sunday, I was attracted because it is a place where one can actually shoot a wide shot with lots of environment; most spots that I go to are fairly tight and need more of a nose or 3/4 view. So I am disappointed with the reject, but more disappointed in that I am not sure what to do different next time. It seems like a great spot, yet I am not seeing what I want to see when I look through the camera, or when I look at the pix at home. It seems flat - part of that is the light, but part of that is that there is no strong foreground element, I think.

I should add that to the left there is a bridge over the foreground highway, actually the highway goes under, and of course there is that red railing the length of the bridge. So there is a lot of space here. Need to try a pan shot here! But the railing...

If the railing causes rejection at this angle, then presumably it will lead to rejection at any tighter focal length. The attachment is the ultra-wide view. One big problem there is that there is no depth (it didn't help that no car passed along the highway at the same moment as the train, but that is not in mhy control). So I'm at a loss for what to do compositionally at this spot. Any leads welcome.

BTW, one idea that did occur to me is to do a tight vertical telephoto, with the mural at the bottom and the train (the nose of the lead engine) above. What do you think of that?

J

PS: I need to change the exposure so as not to blow out the white building in the middle background. Need to pay attention to the details!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSX.SilverSpringMD061707Q41417wide.jpg (190.5 KB, 222 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
My question is what do I do next time?
Get height. You need to somehow get a little higher so the railing isn't that big of a distraction to the trucks of the locomotive. I'm not saying you need the train to be ABOVE the railing just enough to where you are confident that its not a distraction. Again, this may be subjective but you'll know it when you see it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
JimThias

The railing and wall are killers for this composition. You might just have to accept that it's probably not going to work and just keep that one for yourself. I have quite a few spots that I'd love to shoot a train in as well, but there are things in the way that keep them from being appealing compositions. It's tough to move on but I think you just need to.....let...it..........go.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I think you just need to.....let...it..........go.
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

This is probably a spot where you might need to forget going wide and shoot the wedgie. I see stairs leading up to the red railing, probably a sidewalk to the building to the right. Am I correct in assumng you can gettrackside and either on the other side of the rail or to a pointwhere you can shoot over it?

Joe
Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
This is probably a spot where you might need to forget going wide and shoot the wedgie. I see stairs leading up to the red railing, probably a sidewalk to the building to the right. Am I correct in assumng you can gettrackside and either on the other side of the rail or to a pointwhere you can shoot over it?
Don't know about the far side, but one can stand at the red railing and be feet away from a train as it passes by. Unfortunately there is some really, really ugly chain link fencing around the station that completely ruins it for closer-up photography. I haven't been there at commuter train time, but the only thing that makes sense to me is that they open a gate in the fence at time of train arrival.

Also, this is a two track mainline, and in between the two tracks is a two-track subway line, which has its own fencing on both sides. So the view trackside is a major disappointment. There are possibilities, sure, but none so attractive as to make me choose that spot over other spots. I had hoped to get a cool from-the-side wide shot but I guess it just isn't happening.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Now breathe slowly....in....out...in...out....good. Repeat this exercise whenever you feel the urge to take that shot again.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Get height. You need to somehow get a little higher so the railing isn't that big of a distraction to the trucks of the locomotive. I'm not saying you need the train to be ABOVE the railing just enough to where you are confident that its not a distraction. Again, this may be subjective but you'll know it when you see it.
Exactly my initial thought. I'd also use burst mode if you can to try to optimize the train's location with the lamp posts.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
JRMDC

I can't get higher at that location. At least not meaninfully higher - the railing is so close to the track that one would have to get a LOT higher to make a difference. I should have shot burst mode, yes.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

My initial thought was to place the light post between the two locomotives, but after looking at it, it looks like that might not work so well because it looks like the lead engine will be too far away at that point. I have no idea where you're able to stand, but maybe try moving a bit to the right and shooting close to a 90 degrees to the train. I don't know, everything I said is probably rubbish anyway.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote