Old 06-22-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham
Default :( Fully rejected ...

I don't really know what's happening . I am very disappointed , and I don't think my photos are bad like that !

This is my trip to Taiwan and particiapated the Taiwan Railway Administration 120 Anniversary Trip . Please help me if you can .

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385626&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=347236603

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=716485112

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=607292858

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=371424317

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385602&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385599&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385591&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=458778535

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1122389976

And should I waste my time to upload my other photos here ? I would say they are similar to the rejected photos above .

Thank You .

Last edited by Gordon Graham; 06-22-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
JRMDC

Some comments

1. front of slant nose is well blown out - might be fixable with processing, don't know

2. people cut off, tower cut off, switchstand tilted so not level - I would have stepped a bit to the right to set up a composition without the tower - forget about it

3. not my thing - probably not the screener's thing because the interesting part of the train, the lower nose, is obscured

4. I never have a good sense of what makes for a good engine detail shot - here, I might try to take off the top and left sides - but then I would have said bad cropping, not poor esthetic quality

5. perhaps they just don't like subterranean stuff? The processing is a little blah to me, but I think the subject matter is ok, interesting platform signage

6. emply subway station, no train, nothing in the foreground - forget about it

7. really distracting background, would have been better had it been blurred with shallow depth of field, but still distracting

8. wide verticals don't do well here, I think - crop left side and right side, and some off the top because of the overcast sky - I would prefer having more of the engine to the left that was cut off

9. see 3.

10. bad image quality, nothing in focus, all blurry

I am guessing that to the screener, blah shots underground with a high platform, obscuring trucks/wheels, just doesn't cut it. I'll leave it to others regarding opinions on reprocessing and the like. To me the underground stuff just doesn't work, the quality just isn't there, the light in particular is (unsurprisingly) poor. Some of the above ground stuff may work with reprocessing.

Good luck. Looks like you had a really interesting trip. I feel for you; I have an entire day of Belgium shots with nothing posted here due to horrible overcast light that even tight cropping could not save. You may have some success. In looking at these again, and looking at the other stuff, focus on photographic quality - what catches your eye in terms of composition/light/color. That may not be the same as your favorites based on memories of your trip.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
CNWFreak

I've had days like that before. The day the Union Pacific OLS train came to town it was cloudy and raining. All the shots from that day were rejected for being cloudy. Also they had to put a GP40 on each end of train in front of the E units, because the E's weren't equipped with Train Stop, making a shot what woulda been of a rare unit, a shot of everyday unit. On the plus the lunch on the train was great.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Mgoldman

At first glance - they are atleast as interesting as most of what was on RP today. In fact the first 4 are really quite nice and I am glad you posted for others to see, and advise. Good luck - I'd tweak and appeal atleast the first four and by all means - don't give up!! I'd hate to miss out on similar photos from you even if this one screener disagrees! Ouch!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Gordon Graham

Thank you , the trip was very interesting . It felt very good when I was waiting some unknown trains to come on others countries / cities 's plaforms . I was also very happy in participating the Taiwan Railway Administration 120 Anniversary Trip . That was my first time to touch locomotives ^^

I am now uploading 10 more photos on RP.net , and I hope at least 2 of them can accept -.- .

Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Arne H. B.

That's too bad they were rejected, I really love Taiwan and it's railways. Most of my shots from my visits to Taiwan were rejected as well, it is very humid there but the sky is almost always overcast and skies become blown out so easily (although that is not really an issue in yours). I had a shot of CK124 in the roundhouse at Changhua accepted and it was my first one on RP! I look forward to my next trip there because now I have a DSLR to work with instead of my wallet sized panasonic point n shoot. If you get a chance to visit again I would also recommend Alishan forest railway, they have some very unique stuff there including several retired shay geared steam locomotives in excellent condition and the diesels that work there have siderods and typically ride on the rear of the train. The scenery is amazing and you can be virtually anywhere without having the police show up. I didn't get a single shot accepted but to be fair I knew the quality wasn't there. Don't give up but if they are not accepted at least you have some great memories to show for your trip, I'm jealous I wasn't there! -Arne
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

Nice shots Gordon.I really like shots from Taiwan as they have the G22 units which Egypt use them too but G22W-AC.Whats your opinion about converting the fourth pic into B&W i think that it will look more cool.Also i like the pic of the couplers as i can feel with power in them.IMO let the shots of the underground to the personal collection and try to appeal the others.
Thanks for sharing those nice shots and take care.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Number 7 is similar to one of my shots.:
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 188014
Photograph © Mike W.

Perhaps try turning it black and white, that might help. If I have time later, I might try something else to see if it helps. I don't know how this would work, but maybe add a blue filter on top of that to make the blue a lighter color when you turn it to black and white.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Graham
I am now uploading 10 more photos on RP.net , and I hope at least 2 of them can accept -.- .
I see that indeed you have two accepted today!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
a231pacific

Gordon,

I like your first shot, because of the contrast in eras. When you converted the shot to B&W, you might consider using channels in Photo Shop and not just converting to gray scale. Under "layer", select "new adjustment layer", then select "channel mixer", then click OK, then check the monochrome box. By varying the three channels, you can make the sky much more dramatic. That would really help this shot.

Shot number two is colorful and would be a really happy shot, but it's tilted and you have cropped the people partly in and partly out of the picture. Include them, they add interest and color.

If your fourth shot is cropped from a larger picture, include the second driving wheel and cut out part of the cylinder. It's just a large black expanse and cutting off the main rod to the second driving wheel doesn't look right. If you do include the second driver, the rods will form a triangular shape, always a good compositional element, plus the air pump will not be centered. Putting it about 1/3 in from the edge will improve the composition.

I don't know why they didn't like your seventh shot (couplers). It looks OK to me.

I don't think your eighth shot should have been rejected either, but it could be made better. The engine is too centered. I would include more of the steam locomotive. The way you have cut off the driving wheel makes me want to see more.

I enjoyed seeing your series of pictures. Just a comment, based on these and on your previous posts. I think you tend to crop your photos very tightly, perhaps because Hong Kong, where you normally shoot, is so densely built up, it's hard for you to get back from the tracks without including distracting elements. When you have a chance, shoot wider.

Good luck and keep posting.

Michael Allen

Last edited by a231pacific; 06-22-2007 at 08:40 PM.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Lyman

Default Subjective in nature...

Gordon,

You have to remember that much of what constitutes a 'good' photograph is subjective. Having said that, there are definite conventions and standards of course.

A perfect example of subjectiveness is that one image I submitted yesterday was bounced, yet today is was accepted.

Go figure.

Keep trying!

Lyman
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
A perfect example of subjectiveness is that one image I submitted yesterday was bounced, yet today is was accepted.
uh oh.....
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
I hope that was accepted on appeal, Lyman, or with revision, and you didn't resubmit the same image a day later. The latter is against the rules here.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
Gordon Graham

Hello , let talk about the 6 photos rejected yesterday ...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1253042793

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=782630419

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1312304101

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385904&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1134035251

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=385896&key=0

Most photos from the first post and this reply have rejected again through appeal . I still have a lot of photos ( I think they are good photos ) waiting to upload , so I will try to reupload 3~4 photos above after I have tried all photos . Thank you . Continue tomorrow if I have photos being rejected today .
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
Arne H. B.

My favorite is the 4th one down on the list, that is a good view of CK124. It may have been cloudy, but it's hardly common/standard power! Of course that is just a generic term for that particular rejection reason. If you have a shot from a little higher up that doesn't include as much sky that may get in, at least I think so it is a bit less common than a lot of what you see today. Good luck with your shots Gordon. -Arne
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Graham
Most photos from the first post and this reply have rejected again through appeal .
Why did you think they all should have been appealed? You have lots of photos here, so you know the standard. Why did you think all of these were worthy of appealing? Put another way, what did you learn from the screener comments?

Put yet another way, what reasons did you give to tell the second screener that the rejection should be reconsidered, say because rejection reason X given should be ignored in favor of Y in the photo?

I suspect (no evidence whatsoever!) that appeals that are blank, no reason given to the screener for reconsideration have a much lower rate of acceptance.

It seems to me that a number of the shots might have been better considered had they been reprocessed instead of just appealed. Did you do that?

Sorry for the harshness, but I am puzzled. You are an experienced RP person, yet you are flinging pix around like a newbie. Maybe I am misreading the situation, please explain and/or correct me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 06-23-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
JRMDC

Regarding your 6 recent rejections:
1. simply respond to the reason for rejection
2. respond to the reason for rejection - I would do additional cropping of the left side
3. I think increase contrast a bit, which will tend to make things a little brighter as well
4. it is a cloudy day rejection, but I suggest giving it another chance - rotate the image to get the front verticals vertical, trim the sky a bit, and give it another go
5. already accepted
6. station platform is pretty bright, I have no suggestions for this one

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Gordon Graham

Ya I know they are a bit lower than the standard of RP.net , I appeal some of the photos because I am very happy when I see the photos again and again , and I hope to share them to you here . I feel sorry about abusing the appeal function . I still have a lot of photos waiting for your comments , thank you .
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #19
Lyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I hope that was accepted on appeal, Lyman, or with revision, and you didn't resubmit the same image a day later. The latter is against the rules here.
I should have clarified that. There were some changes made to it, in this case it was lightened on the Nose and the contrast raised. Some of the shadows were opened. The subject matter was the same but it wasn't just a resubmit 24 hours later.

Thanks JRMDC.

Lyman
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
weim

I've only been looking at this web site for about a month now. I've had my share of rejections some of which are a lot better than some that are accepted. The screeners here are so wildly inconsistent with each other that having a picture posted here means nothing to me. I don't need to have my shots posted here to validate myself as a photographer.
weim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim
I've only been looking at this web site for about a month now. I've had my share of rejections some of which are a lot better than some that are accepted. The screeners here are so wildly inconsistent with each other that having a picture posted here means nothing to me. I don't need to have my shots posted here to validate myself as a photographer.
Well, we can certainly debate whether the screeners are "wildly inconsistent." But, it sounds like you have really changed your view since a few weeks ago!

http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...8&postcount=12
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...71&postcount=9

What gives?

I always hate to see someone get so frustrated with the screening process that they lose out on all RP has to offer.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
a231pacific

No, you don't have to have shots posted here to validate yourself as a photographer, but I would hardly characterize the screeners here as "wildly inconsistent."

Yes, there is individual variation in taste, but they do remarkably well in screening what is a somewhat subjective medium. I find that most of the people who complain about their rejected shots being better than other people's accepted shots are not really judging their own work with a critical eye.

I've only appealed two rejections (one was accepted) because I thought the screener was wrong. Every other rejection I received I realized was valid and I've either fixed it or filed it away.

Let's see some of your work here on the forum and maybe you will learn something that will improve your own photos. And if your work really is better, you will be encouraged to try posting it again.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote