Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #51
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
So you can still wear overalls into Steamtown?

nice

Loyd L.
Yeah Loyd I can for two more year!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #52
cblaz

I e-mailed Ray directly and got the same two-line response back as well. It's sad that he can take the time to steal our photos, but can't take the time to sincerely apologize to us. In a follow-up e-mail, I also asked what the prize was for Michael Allen's photo was, out of curiosity.

- Chris
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #53
SDavey

Well since this goes along with those stealing photos from those who post on this site I will throw it out there.

I have noticed since the favoring function has been added most of those who favorite my shots do not seem to post themselves. My hunch is that they favorite for the purpose of using my photos and others for their own benefits, and I consider favoring over 5000 photos a bit excessive.

Maybe a limit to how many photos one can favorite could be a reasonable request. Here are a few that are known to favorite a ton.

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=28702
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=13945
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=24231
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=32838
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #54
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDavey View Post
Well since this goes along with those stealing photos from those who post on this site I will throw it out there.

I have noticed since the favoring function has been added most of those who favorite my shots do not seem to post themselves. My hunch is that they favorite for the purpose of using my photos and others for their own benefits, and I consider favoring over 5000 photos a bit excessive.

Maybe a limit to how many photos one can favorite could be a reasonable request. Here are a few that are known to favorite a ton.

What, no Vic.Louie?! That guy loves himself some commenting/favoriting! Any idea who he is, anyway?

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
capwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #55
JRMDC

Quote:
I have noticed since the favoring function has been added most of those who favorite my shots do not seem to post themselves.
You have groupies!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #56
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:

CM Persky and David Nutter are two I recognize off the bat. Both seem to like everything I take, and everything that's added every single day. Anytime I see a favorite I think ''ooh someone cool...nope just Nutter Butter..''. This is probably going off topic but, he also seemed to abuse the comment system there for a while. With perfect grammar such as ''What an beautiful.''
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #57
lock4244

Quote:

Hey, if you don't get a favorite from these guys, you must be really bad behind the lens

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #58
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by capwell View Post
What, no Vic.Louie?! That guy loves himself some commenting/favoriting!

Don't forget James "Banned Again" Cataquet!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #59
woody_k
still learnin'

I e-mailed one of the users here who favorites and asked why he/she doesn't have any photos posted. Never got a response.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #60
jgallaway81

As one of those who enjoys favoriting (is that even a word?) others' pics, and don't have any posted myself, I say it certain isn't for lack of trying.

However my finances don't grant me anything better than a Kodak 7.1mp easyshare unit.

ALL of my pics have been denied. From steam ones with family appeal to parts of diesels enroute to Erie by truck:

Granted the first was denied for backlight, which was okay, fair enough, I deserved that (though you'd think taking a decent pic @ 70mph would garner a little sympathy) the second earned me yet another "Poor Esthetic Quality: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish."

As for why I favorite images? 1 reason is because the topic is special to me (the Arcade & Attica or C&O 614/27**) or because the pic is of exceptional quality that I want to use it for my background on my desktop. All pics on my site: www.anarr.com, are my own... a few of which were in fact denied as well.
jgallaway81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #61
KevinM

I'm not sure I see anything sinister in folks getting an account and favoriting pictures here. I think there are lots of them. They may or may not be photographers themselves and may just enjoy looking at good quality images. The beauty of getting an account is that folks can favorite what they like and enjoy browsing that collection any time they like without having to dig for the pictures.

Some of these folks may also be trying to get their own work in, but just haven't broken through yet.

I agree with Michael Allen's statement earlier in this thread. In any crowd of people, there are always a few who don't play well. We can't let that change our behavior or make us suspicious of everyone. In the case of the guy whose activities precipitated this thread, it would appear that his usage of our pictures was more to enhance his popularity with people than any commercial enterprise. And, when caught red-handed, he appears to have discontinued what he was doing. End of story...hopefully.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #62
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

JD you are different, you arent favoriting every single photo you see. I looked at your profile and you have some nice ones. The others are talking about people who have hundreds upon hundreds of favorites. If you would like, feel free the post photos and we can try to help you. The ones you provided, although they are unique, they are just not for RP (taken at 70mph or not).
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #63
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallaway81 View Post

the second earned me yet another "Poor Esthetic Quality: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish."
Had this second shot been of the end of the trailer, clearly showing the wings on the end of the hood but in good light - unlike the other shot from the "wrong" side - it would have had a much better chance. This shot is equivalent to shooting a picture of a trailing unit on a train - something RP doesn't take much interest in. Oh well; glad you didn't wreck your car trying to get these shots!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #64
lock4244

JD, those shots are pretty cool. I've only seen a load like that twice (no photos), but I sometimes see wheelsets and EMD truck frames on the highways around Toronto.

I too see nothing wrong with people favoriting and having no photo's of their own. I belong to a few model RR forums and email lists, yet I don't model (no room) at present... doesn't mean one should not participate.

More Pics Here
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #65
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
What a loser!

Loyd L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon prusak View Post
look at the myspace profile

Isn't this redundant?
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #66
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
CM Persky and David Nutter are two I recognize off the bat.
You mean it's not CM Pesky? Actually, I feel kind of bad because there are at least two of my pics on the DB that he hasn't favorited!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #67
Mgoldman

What'd I win?

/Mitch

Likely merits it's own thread (again), but why not develope a feature on RP which prohibits stealing photos in the first place. Chris Muller (of PA) has his site and there is no way to save the photo. You can click all you want but there is no "save" option short of copying the entire screen for those who know or care to save at such a resolution.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #68
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Unhappy

Two thoughts come to mind. One, I feel left out that nobody seems to have stolen any of my pix. I figure that if somebody likes my picture enough to steal it, that's a pretty good compliment. Two, anyone who posts anything here should EXPECT it to get stolen....that is the nature of the internet. Watermarks are a poor non-solution...they almost inevitably detract significantly from the image. As others have noted, let's not let a few bad actors detract from our enjoyment.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #69
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I feel left out that nobody seems to have stolen any of my pix. I figure that if somebody likes my picture enough to steal it, that's a pretty good compliment.
If it will make you feel better, I'd gladly steal just about any of your pics! But I don't want to leave you empty handed, so how about I just take all the steam shots?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #70
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
If it will make you feel better, I'd gladly steal just about any of your pics! But I don't want to leave you empty handed, so how about I just take all the steam shots?

Jon
I feel better already. Thanks.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #71
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Likely merits it's own thread (again), but why not develope a feature on RP which prohibits stealing photos in the first place. Chris Muller (of PA) has his site and there is no way to save the photo. You can click all you want but there is no "save" option short of copying the entire screen for those who know or care to save at such a resolution.
Grabbing the image from RP and downloading it to your computer will give the same result as doing a screen cap, no?

(ps...damn this thread is wiiiiiiiiiide.)

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #72
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
What'd I win?

/Mitch

Gimme the cashe! Any image viewed on a PC is in the computers cashe. If you know where to look, you can save any image to anywhere you want. I find the "locked out right click" move amusing... it's like putting a club on the steering wheel, just requires a bit more effort to circumvent

More Pics Here
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #73
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Grabbing the image from RP and downloading it to your computer will give the same result as doing a screen cap, no?

I wasn't sure... is it?

I ~think~ it will show the same on screen but if you go to print it the resolution is not the same. My photos are 1024X683 at 300 dpi but on screen aren't they only 72 dpi?

I hope so, I was very hesitant to put this photo on RP at the time and
it would make me quite nervous to think anyone could steal it to make
prints. I really had to work hard for that shot - I parked my car on the
side of the highway, illegally, and it was a good couple of miles down a
dirt trail. At one point, a bear jumped out and chased me! Fortunately
I didn't have to wait long for the train and I was able to get the shot
before the bear caught up to me and chased me some more.

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stoney Creek JWMG.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	3880  

Last edited by Mgoldman; 03-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #74
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

Yeah . . . and it's deep, too.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #75
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Gimme the cashe! Any image viewed on a PC is in the computers cashe. If you know where to look, you can save any image to anywhere you want. I find the "locked out right click" move amusing... it's like putting a club on the steering wheel, just requires a bit more effort to circumvent
Actually, delivering the photos via Flash renders them un-saveable (except for perhaps screengrab), but Flash is almost as hated as Hitler, OJ, New Coke, and Vista.