Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default Do you ever sort by category here?

Just curious if you do.

If you are so unfortunate to do so, you will find it's not very useful.

For instance:

Choosing "night shots" finds about 1/3 to 3/5 of the shots are day shots

Choosing "special schemes" finds all sorts of nonsense from 1980's shots of CP units, BN painted HLCX leasers, FEC SD40's, etc

Choosing "bridge shots" finds: no bridges on a significant percentage of shots

Do people just randomly check all these checkboxes just to try to get views? Should the screeners check for this?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Insert_Name_Here
Member
 
Insert_Name_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
Default

You have way too much time on your hands dude
__________________
They call me Mr. Negativity
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
You have way too much time on your hands dude
Why would you say that? Why does anyone say anything on the Forums that does not advance a solution?

It's all about being seen, I suppose. When linking to another site is not enough, I think many will link to extra yet unrelated keywords and subjects in hopes of more views. Just like Flickr.

It's rather a shame - of all the things for admin NOT to reject!

Still - best photo search function on the 'Net. Only thing missing are past frustrated photographers and new photographers that hesitate to join in.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

That's kinda like putting this in a caption:

"Its not a heritage, but....."

View whoring at its finest.


BTW, speaking of sort of the same thing, I'm tired of when you try to search for the oldest photos first, you get a bunch of pics where the photog was either too stupid to know to put the year on it or was too lazy.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
That's kinda like putting this in a caption:

"Its not a heritage, but....."

View whoring at its finest.
I think that's more sarcasm then whoring.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
BTW, speaking of sort of the same thing, I'm tired of when you try to search for the oldest photos first, you get a bunch of pics where the photog was either too stupid to know to put the year on it or was too lazy.
Or doesn't know... negatives and prints do not always have EXIF!, nor dates. It kind of hard to remember some photos if they were taken that long ago. Not all photos, nor all photographers, but it happens.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Or doesn't know... negatives and prints do not always have EXIF!, nor dates. It kind of hard to remember some photos if they were taken that long ago. Not all photos, nor all photographers, but it happens.

/Mitch
Well, if they were that old then I wouldn't care.

An example, if you go to Fostoria, Ohio and sort by oldest date first, you find

This:

before

This.

Notice the older picture has a date and the newer one does not. Just saying.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
if you go to Fostoria, Ohio
There's your problem. Never go to Fostoria.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
There's your problem. Never go to Fostoria.

Loyd L.
B-b-b-but.......there's so many trains. *Foams at the mouth*
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
B-b-b-but.......there's so many trains. *Foams at the mouth*
I spent a grand total of 25 minutes in Fostoria, and decided that train count wasn't that important.. lol

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
B-b-b-but.......there's so many trains. *Foams at the mouth*
Stack trains have got to be the most boring type of train in existence.

They all look alike.

I would agree if they were junk trains or locals, but stack trains - seen one, you have almost seen them all, unless they have some interesting power, are on fire or derail.

Now, this is an interesting train.

Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Stack trains have got to be the most boring type of train in existence.

They all look alike.

I would agree if they were junk trains or locals, but stack trains - seen one, you have almost seen them all, unless they have some interesting power, are on fire or derail.
Double stacks generally have much more variation, in color and logos, than autorack trains or coal.

I prefer manifests, as I suspect you do.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb ^^

There is a UP coal train running from Utah to the port of LA that has some interesting open hoppers from MoPac, CNW, UP, BN and DR&W.



However, those car's days are numbered on that drag since the port is going to install a new rotary dumping system and the cars will all be new aluminium ones.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I spent a grand total of 25 minutes in Fostoria, and decided that train count wasn't that important.. lol
That's the way I feel about Folkston...

Plus some of the D-Bags that hang out there like they own the f'ing place dont help
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I spent a grand total of 25 minutes in Fostoria, and decided that train count wasn't that important.. lol

Loyd L.
I spent a few hours in Fostoria about three years ago. It was interesting, and the number of trains we saw was impressive--but it wasn't scenic, for sure. I think you could spend a couple of days there and totally exhaust all possible "creative" views. It just depends on what floats your boat.

As for me----I'd much rather sit for hours on a branch line and wait for the one train of the day in good light, with good power and a nice composition. Good railroad photography is usually more about quality, and not quantity (there are some exceptions where the scenery and train counts are both exceptional).
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #15
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Plus some of the D-Bags that hang out there like they own the f'ing place dont help
I try to avoid all "hot spots." You'll rarely find a "good" photographer at these places---just mostly guys who are morbidly obese, use tiny digital cameras, eat their own snot, have only seen pictures of naked women--never the real thing, and live in the basement of their mother's house. No thanks...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #16
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I spent a few hours in Fostoria about three years ago. It was interesting, and the number of trains we saw was impressive--but it wasn't scenic, for sure. I think you could spend a couple of days there and totally exhaust all possible "creative" views. It just depends on what floats your boat.

As for me----I'd much rather sit for hours on a branch line and wait for the one train of the day in good light, with good power and a nice composition. Good railroad photography is usually more about quality, and not quantity (there are some exceptions where the scenery and train counts are both exceptional).

I was much more impressed with Deshler, and its proximity to good locations. Just something special about grilling a burger trackside with your friends and shooting the breeze all night. I do agree with the quality over quantity though. Tomorrow I'm getting up predawn to hit the old NF&G and cross my fingers they get one of the three mty trains loaded for a ride down the nearly 4 percent grade... in the rain. If not, I'll be heading to Loup Creek where RJ corman will be bringing loads down to Thurmond. That's my favorite type of foaming.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #17
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
That's the way I feel about Folkston...

Plus some of the D-Bags that hang out there like they own the f'ing place dont help
I spent 45 minutes there, and didn't run into any locals. It's a place to go once, to say you've been there. lol

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #18
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Stack trains have got to be the most boring type of train in existence.

They all look alike.
Spend 33 years along a heavy haul coal dominated line and you'll love the stacks. I purposely head to the NS Pokey for something other than 150 bathtubs with blue engines

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #19
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I spent a few hours in Fostoria about three years ago. It was interesting, and the number of trains we saw was impressive--but it wasn't scenic, for sure. I think you could spend a couple of days there and totally exhaust all possible "creative" views. It just depends on what floats your boat.

As for me----I'd much rather sit for hours on a branch line and wait for the one train of the day in good light, with good power and a nice composition. Good railroad photography is usually more about quality, and not quantity (there are some exceptions where the scenery and train counts are both exceptional).
I don't watch trains to take pictures much anymore. I just like watching railroad operations in general and the mass amount of trains that run through Fostoria every day keep me entertained. Lol
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 03-29-2014 at 04:10 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Just curious if you do.
Yes, I have.

When I use the search terms "looks like shit" all my photos (every last one of them) come right up with no problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Plus some of the D-Bags that hang out there like they own the f'ing place dont help

There is nothing more pathetic on the face of the earth than uppity foamers who think they got dibs on a piece of public land, and/or private dirt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
As for me----I'd much rather sit for hours on a branch line and wait for the one train of the day in good light, with good power and a nice composition.
You forgot to mention the 12 Pack and the yard chair.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 03-29-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post


There is nothing more pathetic on the face of the earth than uppity foamers who think they got dibs on a piece of public land, and/or private dirt.
If you ever come to Michigan, stay away from New Richmond. That is MY bridge!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Yes, I have.

When I use the search terms "looks like shit" all my photos (every last one of them) come right up with no problem.
Everyone has to "own" something. You own 2 things: Carrizo Gorge and BNSF 6936

Quote:
There is nothing more pathetic on the face of the earth than uppity foamers who think they got dibs on a piece of public land, and/or private dirt.
Especially some boring ass place like Folkston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
If you ever come to Michigan, stay away from New Richmond. That is MY bridge!
Again, everyone has to "own" something, you go man...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
If you ever come to Michigan, stay away from New Richmond. That is MY bridge!
We all recall a guy who "owned" the west slope of the old Pennsy approach to the top of the mountain at Gallitzin. Yep... How's business at Dollar Tree these days?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
We all recall a guy who "owned" the west slope of the old Pennsy approach to the top of the mountain at Gallitzin. Yep... How's business at Dollar Tree these days?
Hahaha, that made my day!

Thought it was Family Dollar though
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

No...I'm pretty sure it was Dollar Tree. Everything there costs a dollar...including helpful tips to improve your train photography.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.