Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default What do you think?

I copied the idea from a photo I saw linked in these forums. Also, I didn't want to get out of the car in the rain. I'm planning a sunny day shot like this, but that means I have to wash the windshield.

I haven't done much processing to it and don't know what I'll do with the shot when finished. Not expecting I'll try to upload it here.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ns4367xti1024v3.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	3521  
Old 11-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/travsirocz/2998180914/

Like this?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Mike B.
Banned

I just don't see the point. It's not an interesting perspective and everyone already knows what a train looks like from the inside of a car. The only way I think it could be made interesting is if the photo is taken from the inside of a Scuderia or something of that caliber.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
F40PH271

It looks like you were standing outside and water got on your lens. Doesn't really do anything for me.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

A slower shutter would be nice, make the train be a bit blurred... The reflection of the flash on the top of the steering wheel sucks. I do like the idea though!

My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
JRMDC

Find an intersection where the train will not be aligned with the treeline. For that matter, find a RR with some color on the engine to help with the separation.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Would only work for me with the caption
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I just don't see the point.
What's the point of taking any picture of anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Find an intersection where the train will not be aligned with the treeline.
That is definitely good advice.

Joe
Old 11-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch
A slower shutter would be nice, make the train be a bit blurred... The reflection of the flash on the top of the steering wheel sucks. I do like the idea though!
The train was going about five miles an hour and I think any slower shutter speed would cause the entire shot to be out of focus just causde I wouldn't be able to hold it still enough. (Note to self: need a monopod.) I'm not a big fan of the reflection on the steering wheel, but the dashboard needed fill flash to make the shot work in any way it does. (Flash was pointed straight up.)

I'll come back t the idea at some point and see what I can do differently. I think I like the idea better in the rain than on a sunny day.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Joe
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
What's the point of taking any picture of anything?

Joe
The point is to evoke emotion and to give a sense of accomplishment to the author. Your photo does neither, in my opinion. I thought you were going to stop feeding the 'trolls', Joe?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
J Douglas Moore

Mike, you are wrong on both counts in your statement.

Your comments regarding Joes' photo show considerable emotion on your part and have evoked emotions from others as well.

Secondly, your speaking as if you have a personal knowledge of Joes sense of accomplishment here.

I have come to understand that you are the resident troll here, whether self proclaimed or otherwise, I do not know, but keep up the good work.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!

Last edited by J Douglas Moore; 11-17-2008 at 10:06 PM.
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore

Your comments regarding Joes' photo show considerable emotion on your part and have evoked emotions from others as well.

Secondly, your speaking as if you have a personal knowledge of Joes sense of accomplishment here.

I have come to understand that you are the resident troll here, whether self proclaimed or otherwise, I do not know, but keep up the good work.
How do my comments show emotion? If by emotion you mean that I feel that the shot sucks, then I guess you're right. I'm not the only one who doesn't like the shot.

I can't speak on behalf of Joe and that's why I said "in my opinion." I suggest you read things more carefully in the future.

I certainly don't consider myself a troll. Joe has called me a troll a number of time in the past so that's why I said that. I just speak about things the way I see them and I'm not worried if what I say offends anyone, much unlike most people here. I don't go around looking to start arguments. I don't visit a lot of forums on a regular basis, but this is by far the "softest" forum I've been to.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:

As someone who "calls out" Mike B too often for my own good , I don't see a problem with his post here. He doesn't like the shot and he doesn't see the shot conveying any emotion. I took "sense of accomplishment" mean that a good shot would have made Joe feel good about his photography and Mike doesn't think this shot would do so or did so.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
F40PH271

First off, what is a troll? I remember them being some really small ugly doll with spiked hair and in speedos.

It is people like Mike B. that keep the forum interesting and keep me coming back. I enjoy his entertaining posts for the only reason that most the time he is telling the [harsh] truth, something that most people are scared to do. I'm not saying he was all that "harsh" here, but he has been accused of it in the past.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40PH271
First off, what is a troll? I remember them being some really small ugly doll with spiked hair and in speedos.

It is people like Mike B. that keep the forum interesting and keep me coming back. I enjoy his entertaining posts for the only reason that most the time he is telling the [harsh] truth, something that most people are scared to do. I'm not saying he was all that "harsh" here, but he has been accused of it in the past.
A troll is someone who goes around looking to cause trouble and create arguments under false pretenses. I do neither. I simply offer my opinion in a blatant way and it often isn't what people like to hear.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 AM   #16
chris crook

As for the flash reflection, do you have an off camera cord?

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #17
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I would like to see the camera moved up, so less dash, more windsheild, drop the steering wheel, and some of the ceiling to give the out of window look.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
How do my comments show emotion? If by emotion you mean that I feel that the shot sucks, then I guess you're right. I'm not the only one who doesn't like the shot.

I can't speak on behalf of Joe and that's why I said "in my opinion." I suggest you read things more carefully in the future.

I certainly don't consider myself a troll. Joe has called me a troll a number of time in the past so that's why I said that. I just speak about things the way I see them and I'm not worried if what I say offends anyone, much unlike most people here. I don't go around looking to start arguments. I don't visit a lot of forums on a regular basis, but this is by far the "softest" forum I've been to.
Seems to me folks here tend to be a little too serious, so with 2000 comedians out of work, I shall not again try to be humorous nor shall I again plant my tongue firmly in my cheek.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #19
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Seems to me folks here tend to be a little too serious, so with 2000 comedians out of work, I shall not again try to be humorous nor shall I again plant my tongue firmly in my cheek.
Either you need to do some serious work on your sense of humor, or you're lying, and I think you are.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #20
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Either you need to do some serious work on your sense of humor, or you're lying, and I think you are.
Well you are entitled to your opinion, regardless of how irrelevent it may be. Experiance has shown me I can't win an argument with a fool.

"Thanks for looking"

Old 11-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #21
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Well you are entitled to your opinion, regardless of how irrelevent it may be. Experiance has shown me I can't win an argument with a fool.
What reason(s) do you have to believe that I am a fool?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
devights
Stephen De Vight

Quick, get your cameras, it looks like another thread has derailed!
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 AM   #23
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
What reason(s) do you have to believe that I am a fool?
I suggest you read my post again.

"Thanks for looking"

Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #24
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
I suggest you read my post again.
I decided to ignore this in my previous post, but I guess I can't. You claimed you were being sarcastic and I said that I think you're lying. How is that irrelevant?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #25
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
I decided to ignore this in my previous post, but I guess I can't. You claimed you were being sarcastic and I said that I think you're lying. How is that irrelevant?
Just won't leave it alone will you. Looks like you are "trolling".

Calling someone a liar is relevant. I just simply chose to ignore your comment and allowed you your opinion. Then I expressed mine. Frankly, I couldn’t care less as to what you think about me or anything else for that matter. Therein lies the irrelevancy.

Mostly I have found your posts…….. entertaining. You pride yourself on your blunt criticism and there is a lot to be said for a person who speaks their mind. However there is difference between speaking your mind or being an arrogant ass.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. Now, if you don’t mind, I have important things to do like changing the air in my tires.

"Thanks for looking"