Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default Cameras

What Camera and or brand did you start out with and what do you wish you had now if other than what you have now. Now i am thinking more down the line of formats not the Canon Nikon stuff, I had 2 Olympus OM1's and a OM3. and made the jump to 645 and 6x6 mostly B&W.

I ended up with Canon's as there AF blowed Nikons out of the water at the time and still like the Canons i have, they do a good job. But i wonder what i would be doing or shooting with if i got a Nikon or perhaps a Pentax back in the 1978 instead of a OLY.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
What Camera and or brand did you start out with and what do you wish you had now if other than what you have now. Now i am thinking more down the line of formats not the Canon Nikon stuff, I had 2 Olympus OM1's and a OM3. and made the jump to 645 and 6x6 mostly B&W.

I ended up with Canon's as there AF blowed Nikons out of the water at the time and still like the Canons i have, they do a good job. But i wonder what i would be doing or shooting with if i got a Nikon or perhaps a Pentax back in the 1978 instead of a OLY.
My first SLR was an Olympus OM10 and a selection of their Zuiko lenses. I switched to a Canon AE-1 after 2 OM10 bodies failed on me (the 2nd only 18 months old).

Canon were just going up market, I got one of the last AE-1's, it lasted me 20 years, and was still going strong when I sold it on EBay.

I'm more than happy with Canon DSLR's, although a 5D MKII would be nice.

I never really considered larger format digital cameras - they are waaaaaaay out of my price range.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
lock4244

Started with a Canon T-70 borrowed from my father in 1994/5 shooting prints, then slides. Bought a Canon Rebel AF camera (can't remember the model) after Dad asked for his camera back. Used the Rebel for maybe 6-8 months before I tired of it and the whole AF thing. Replaced that with a used Nikon F3 and a 50mm F2 lens in early 1996. Soon I added an MD-4 motor drive and expanded my collection of prime/fixed lenses, and breifly had a 70-200 zoom lens, which cured me of zooms about as fast as the Rebel did AF.

Later I realized the one drawback (IMO) to fixed focal length lenses was the inability to shoot distant, then closer up without a pain in the butt rapid lens change. So I bought a second used F3/MD-4 combo and picked up a shutter release cable so I could have one on a tripod with a telephoto lens and one handheld with either a 50mm or 85mm.

On December 27, 2006, I entered the DSLR age with the purchase of a Nikon D200. I added a MB-D200 battery pack/vertical grip, mostly for the battery, and later still an 18-135mm cheapo lens for indoor photography (work, birthdays, Christmas, etc.).

I'm very pleased with my current camera, and my Nikon experience in general. The T-70 was a decent camera for what I was doing at the time as I recall. The Rebel was not for me and the Nikon F3's that replaced it fit the bill, were reliable and durable. I don't really have a "Nikon is better than Canon" thing going, other than for some good natured fun. I went with Nikon because a friend shot Nikon and had experience with their products and advised me to buy Nikon based on his long experience. Back then, I didn't know jack about cameras... and for the most part, I still don't

In the future, I'm looking at getting a D300, so I can once again shoot with two cameras. It's nice to have a back-up... just waiting for the price to come down a little on that D300.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I started out with a Pentax K-1000, stared at big white lenses for a couple years, got a Canon DSLR, and now I'm happy with what I've got thank you very much =D
The large formats don't really appeal to me, I like the faster frame rates and better tracking of 35mm and APS-CC more.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
NYC Nick

I got my first camera, a Nikon D80, about 6 months ago. I love it and it does everything I need it to. I got a Nikon because by Grandpa has a couple Nikon cameras, several lenses, and with the D80 I can use any of those lenses including a 200-400 mm telephoto lens.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
JRMDC

Started in the '80s as a teenager with a Pentax MX and the 50/1.7 Eventually wanted some focal length variety and got a Vivital 28-105 (used).

Put the train stuff aside, came back to it years later. Got a 400/5.6 manual focus because I thought I would be a wildlife shooter and that is what I could afford.

Got back into trains, did the Olympus IS-10 "bridge" camera, supplemented later with a 1.7x lens on the front. Nice setup. Eventually decided to up the quality and went with a Canon ElanIIe (used) and the 28-105 3.5-4.5, and a nifty fifty (used) soon thereafter. And at some point the 75-300 (used).

Digital came along and I didn't want to spend the money for a DSLR at the time so I went Canon A80 - a number of those shots are on the database. Eventually things got cheaper and I got a dRebel (used), and found that the lenses for the ElanIIe didn't make sense any more. Went with Sigma 17-70, upgraded the telephoto to 70-200/4 (used), and got a 35/2 (used) for indoor shooting without flash. Oops, forgot to mention that at some point I decided I really needed a faster buffer so, after rejecting the Rebel XT because of small size and big hands, I got a (used) 20D. Eventually decided to splurge a little and dumped the 17-70 and the 35 in favor of the 17-55 IS (used). A year later I get the itch and go ultra-wide with the 10-22 (used).

Long, crazy history, but I am happy with it all now and have no desire to change lenses or body or upgrade. (Well, I'd love to upgrade any number of things but I have no serious intent to do it.) It is all better than I am. If life had worked out differently and I were all Nikon now, that would be fine also; I'm not a Canon guy but rather a guy who ended up with Canon. I put "used" all over the place to show that one can save some money and new isn't important in this stuff.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-12-2008 at 04:19 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I'm not a Canon guy but rather a guy who ended up with Canon. I put "used" all over the place to show that one can save some money and new isn't important in this stuff.
Well said. I'm a Nikon guy because that's what I ended up with.

Forgetting about that weak Rebel I briefly owned, the D200 was my first "real" camera I bought new. The 18-135mm was the first lens I bought new, so 1 in 10. I general the used stuff I've bought is semi-pro to pro, and was very expensive to buy new, so used is both affordable and typically in great shape. Nothing wrong with buying used.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

At 10 years old I decided I wanted a decent camera over the $20 P&S I had been using. I bought a used Maxxum 5000i and a new Promaster 70-210mm lens. It worked good enough for me. After a couple years, I tired of this setup as there were a number of things I disliked about the 5000i and I made the switch to a Canon EFM and a 28-80mm lens. The EFM was a VERY odd duck camera...I'm not sure if anyone has even heard of it. My dad still has it, but as I recall, it was an AE camera but had no AF. It lasted maybe two years before I tired of it, and upgraded to a Elan IIe. LOVED it! I also bought a used 75-300mm lens. The Elan lasted me 10 years before I started having problems with it. I sent it to the shop, bought a digital P&S...and pretty much never went back to it. I've pushed a couple rolls of slide film through it in the past year, but it's still having issues. In August of 07 I bought a 30D and 28-135 lens, and it's been serving me well ever since. I have since added a Sigma 17-70, Canon 70-200, and Canon 24-105 lenses. I'm pretty well set, even though far more advanced bodies are out. I've considered upgrading, but haven't since I'm happy with my current setup. However, if the 60D has what I it will, I'll pull the trigger then.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
a231pacific

Apart from a plastic box camera my parents gave me when I was 9, my first camera was a Nikon F, that I purchased back in 1964 (I was in high school), along with a 55mm micro Nikor lens, an unbelievably sharp lens for the era, although rather slow at f/3.5. My neighbor was a biologist at the University of Michigan, who did field work around the world, and advised me that the Nikon was simply the most rugged camera he had ever used. I believed him and he was right. That camera went up mountains, into caves and to five continents over the next 20 years, before I finally started upgrading with newer Nikons.

Friends who had early Canon A-1's reported that they tended to short out when it was damp, which is pretty much what happens if you are outside a lot, so I stuck with Nikon, progressing up through FA, 8008, N90 and finally an F100 . Once I finally moved to digital, the Nikon D200 looked and felt like the F100, had the same control layout, used the lenses I already had and it was a no brainer decision.

Would I have gone with Canon digital had I not had 40 years of Nikon experience and accumulated lenses? Possibly. A lot of my friends shoot Canon, but then again, the other half shoot Nikon. Both seem happy with their cameras.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
My first SLR was an Olympus OM10 and a selection of their Zuiko lenses. I switched to a Canon AE-1 after 2 OM10 bodies failed on me (the 2nd only 18 months old).
Yeah the OM10 was there junk camera didn't last and gave them a bad name. There OM 1 - 2 -3 -4 did well and worked good as was there glass, They never got in to the AF game and i got a good price on a Canon EOS 1n the rest is canon cameras, The EOS 3 and T90 was one's i liked most. Before i got in to Digital. Played with a Canon D30 and never went back to film.

Last edited by milwman; 11-13-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Before I went digital I mostly used disposable film cameras.

My first digital camera was a Fuji s5000, got it the winter of 2003, in 2005 I bought a Panasonic FZ20 and in 2006 I had decided it was time to move up to the DSLR world so I bought the 30D and now I have a 40D to complement it. Over the past 3 years I have built up my lens collection but I am always looking to add more.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

I chose Nikon because they are better built and engineered very well to work with the user. All the Canon cameras I've tried have just felt cheap and the controls seemed to be poorly thought out.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

First "real" camera I got to use was in 1976 when my dad would let me borrow his used Argus/Cosina STL 1000, which was a screw mount SLR.

My first real camera of my own was a Fujica ST-801, which I bought because it had a 1/2000th shutter speed, LED light meter, and screw mount lens mount (so I could share with my dad, who by then had also acquired a Pentax K1000, which was sadly later stolen).

In college I bought a Canon AE-1, which came with me on a couple European trips, and took a couple bad falls, without a complaint, and made me a lifelong Canon man. If anything could take that much abuse and continue to deliver such quality, I was a fan. I will say this, however, about both the Canon and the Fujica... the manual focuses on both were too easyily jostled. I have so many images that are soft or worse, downright un-viewable, which can only be blamed on my having hit the focusing ring by mistake.

After a couple decades, I moved up to a Canon Elan 7e, which I thought I would use for decades to come... as it was and is a lovely camera... but this was about 2002, and only three years later I was ready for digital.

I bought my Canon Rebel XT in 2005.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

Used a Minolta X-700 as a photographer in high school and received a Pentax K-1000 as a high school graduation gift. In the late 80's I bought a Ricoh KR30SP, since it would use the Pentax lenses. In the early 90's I added a Pentax PZ1 which I wore out, had refurbed and wore out again.
Patiently waiting for the Pentax digital SLR, Canon beat them to the punch with the Digital Rebel in Sept 2003, so I jumped ship. Since then I have purchased a 20D and 40D.
I still have all of these with the exception of the Ricoh. I am still a Pentax fan at heart, and was a mouse click away from dumping Canon and returning to Pentax in August. Pentax is hard to beat for quality and value.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #15
LSRC Railfan

When I was young, I only watched the trains. My father used to be big into taking train photos but around the new millennium he stopped. He was shooting with a Pentax K1000, a 50 f/2, and a 28-80 f/3.5-4.5 (?). But I purchased a disposable film camera from Wal-Mart for a class field trip. I got back home and realized that I still has some photos left to take. So next time I was trackside I snapped a few photos. I went on doing that for the rest of the summer. Then my mother got an Olympus 3.2 mp 3x zoom camera. I was HOOKED. After a year and a half of using that (I have photos taken from it on the data base) I wanted bigger and better. I saved all summer and bought a Powershot S2IS. After two years of rugged service I let it go this summer for a dSRL. I'm in love! I stuck with Canon over Nikon (which I was tempted to get) for many reasons. I had a relative selling an XT, the company I work for shoots Canon, and all my railfan buddies shoot Canon. I got the XT. The XT isn't perfect but I'm really loving it! Currently I only have the 18-55 kit and the Sigma 17-70 from the studio I work for now. Soon I will be purchasing the 70-200 f/4L and the 50 f/1.8. I will, probably in the next few months, trade in my XT for a 20D. Then I'm looking at the 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L IS, and the 300 f/4L IS.

Last edited by LSRC Railfan; 11-13-2008 at 01:36 AM.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #16
jnohallman

Not counting the old 110 point and shoot (did anyone else ever shoot 110 instead of regular 35mm?), my first real camera was my dad's old Mamiya/Sekor with 50mm and 135mm primes. I can't say that I was very seriously into photography back then, but I got used to the idea of SLRs that way. The first SLR I bought for myself was a Rebel XS (yes, that would be the original film XS - don't you love how companies recycle names?) back in 1995. I was about to take a cross-country train trip, and figured I needed a new, more reliable camera - I mean, the Mamiya was probably only about 30 years old then or something. I bought the Canon (with the 35-80 kit lens and a 75-300 zoom) because the price for the features was much better than a Nikon seemed to be at the time, and the places I was looking didn't seem to think that there were any other real choices. My first foray into digital was a Powershot S50 that we really purchased for my wife - I stubbornly stuck with film. The S50 produced some very nice shots, though the thing is SLOW, so eventually I decided to go digital with my SLR. Since I already had the Canon lenses, the Rebel XT made sense, and I've been using it since. Now I'm focusing on upgrading my glass, though if I won the lottery I'd pick up a 1DS Mk III.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #17
Carl Becker

The first digital camera I used was some old Agfa that would be classified as a $h!t camera nowadays. It shot VGA photos and had no zoom.

My dad opted for the Canon A520 (4x zoom, 4 MP) when it received a consumer's best buy award, and we were both very impressed with it. Around a year later, I decided that I wanted to join in the fun, and went with the A540 (4x zoom, 6 MP), the replacement model for the A520. I used it for a little over a year and loved it, but really wanted more zoom. So, I went with the SX100, which is nearly as small, has a similar user interface, but has 10x zoom and 8 MP. I'm looking at a real superzoom model to push for next, as I feel that the SX100 will make a great travel camera for my dad on the road...

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #18
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Now I'm focusing on upgrading my glass, though if I won the lottery I'd pick up a 1DS Mk III.
FYI, if you're a megapixel lover and that's why you'd go for the MK III, Sony rules as of now.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #19
khalucha

I started with a cheap P&S then when Sony came out with that camera that you could put the 3.5 disk into, I had bought one of them, around $900.00 at the time. I have had a few other P&S then about 4 years ago I bought a used, my brothers, Digital Rebel. I already had the 35mm film Rebel so my lenses just switched right over. In May I picked up a 40D and love it. Right now I am going to buy some "L" glass when I get the few extra bucks. Sometime next summer I would like to buy a 1D Mark-III to replace the 40D. Then that should hold me for a bit.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #20
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I started with some Nikon manual-focus equipment. It was heavy, cumbersome, and didn't hold my interest.

Next was a Konica manual-focus camera with assorted crappy lenses. This was not my camera, but a camera borrowed from a friend. This was not a great setup, but it was enough to engage my interest in photography that i went out and bought a camera for myself.

My first flirtation with auto-focus came through two Minolta Maxxum cameras. These were truly wonderful camera, with good focus and superb metering. I built up a nice collection of Minolta lenses and flashes for my cameras. But then came digital, and Minolta wasn't rushing out to make a digital camera.

Canon was my digital saviour. I scraped my money together and bought an EOS Elan 7e and an EOS 3. These were film cameras, as I was too poor at the time to buy the expensive ($2000+) digital cameras. Regardless, I was able to buy lenses that would be compatible with my future digital cameras. My first lens was my 50mm.

When Canon came out with the Digital Rebel, I had enough money to get one. Oh, man, was I ever excited. Next came lenses, first a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and then a 17-40mm f/4L. I kept saving up, and bought a 20D about two years later. By then, i was earning enough money from photography to pay for new equipment.

The requirements of my job dictated that I buy a better camera, and I shelled out the money for an EOS 1D Mark-II. A 24-70mm f/2.8L and 300mm f/4L IS rounded out my equipment.

Recently, I decided that I needed better high-ISO performance and resolution, hence my purchase of a EOS 1Ds Mark-III. I'm also looking at upgrading my 17-40mm and 300mm lenses in the near future, along with getting a 14mm and some sort of supertelephoto.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #21
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
I'm looking at a real superzoom model to push for next...

~Carl Becker
Oh come on, just make the jump to a SLR. It's not as scary as you might think.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #22
milwman
I shoot what I like

Truth be i am a camera fan, i just like to pick them up look at them, brand's i like are the old classics film cameras, Leica, Zeiss Contax, Rollei Twin lens reflex. Most train fans look for Model trains and hobby shops in a new town. I look for camera stores and what they may have in the used case. The one camera i wish i had is a Nikon FM2 and may have to look at getting one sometime.

Last edited by milwman; 11-13-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #23
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I chose Nikon because they are better built and engineered very well to work with the user. All the Canon cameras I've tried have just felt cheap and the controls seemed to be poorly thought out.
That is a opinion and not true, more like works best for you. In fact more Nikon's go into the shop for repair then Canon's. I am talking all cameras P+S to DSLR's. My Ex ran a camera store so i got to see what didn't work and what did. All brands have there lemons, some more then others. I am not slamming Nikons they do make a good camera, just some didn't work well as in the F4.

It was the F4 that that Gave Canon its big jump at AF and a lot of pro's jumped ship to Canon. Nikon is just now getting back some they lost in the 1980's.

Canon had the AE1 that had to go into the shop for a shutter lube every 2 to 3 years. All kinds of minota maxxims died and had to go in for repair.

Last edited by milwman; 11-13-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Not sure which Canons you have tried, but mine is built like a freaking brick. With you on the layout though. If only the Nikons I use made as nice a frame as the Canon I own.

Started with a nameless 35mm at age 9 that had a light leak from day 1, moved on to some Minolta SLRs in later years, then a Maxxum of some sort. In college I got a Nikon F100, which served me well, then a D2h which is really nice camera that takes crappy pictures- at least crappy quality images. Now I have a Canon EOS 1d MkIIn, which is the greatest piece of technology I have ever had the pleasure of using. Really a magnificent camera.

Along the way I used a D1 with regularity, and later (and currently, for that matter) a D1h, which was a great camera in its day, but is getting tired.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #25
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
It was the F4 that that Gave Canon its big jump at AF and a lot of pro's jumped ship to Canon. Nikon is just now getting back some they lost in the 1980's.
The F4 was a Nikon filmburner.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote