Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
willig

Default Don't always trust your instincts

I've just got a good example that you shouldn't always go off your own instincts. What others say in these forums is very valuable. How many of us get a second pair of eyes to give an opinion on our photos?
Before I joined this site last October, I had been taking railway photos for about 35 years without any independant opinions on my work.
Bear in mind that I have always taken my pictures for my own pleasure, although years ago I had a couple of dozen printed in magazines and books (and an awful lot rejected by publishers, who gave no reasons BTW, unlike RP).
The only people who saw the shots were family and friends, few of who were as interested as me or only looked at the subject and not the overall photo. Only now am I getting some feedback.
Rejection reasons from the screeners are the first line, although at times hard to take, they usually have a point. (I'll not get into the backlit issue here.) Opinions of other photographers on the forums regarding rejections is the next place, which is very valuable. Finally, if a shot is accepted, how many people view it and/or leave comments. These two do not always go hand in hand as has been demonstrated many times.
But now to my example. I was very pleased with these shots and they were accepted first time by the screeners.
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 233174
Photograph © Graham Williams
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 233488
Photograph © Graham Williams

What surprises me is that although there are a couple of nice comments on one of them, they have had less than 300 views each. I really though they were good/interesting shots, but this opinion is obviously not shared by too many others. I know there are a few reasons why some photos apparently get ignored by viewers, but the point is, I was wrong.
So as I said, your own instincts aren't always right. Still. I like them and that is why I took them - for me. Sharing with everyone else is still secondary.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
JRMDC

Nice shots, Graham. Unfortunately, # views on RP is just lower for non-US stuff, and I think for standard wedgies of steam also. And the light isn't that great (you UK guys have a hard time with that!). So the (numerous) American diesel-loving fan just doesn't go for a closer look. Remember that RP has a variety of audiences and view count is a measure in part of popularity of subject and not of quality.

You got two comments on one of the shots and that is a strong indicator right there; most shots get zero. Despite the UK/steam/cloudy offering you did well.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

[quote=JRMDC]Nice shots, Graham. Unfortunately, # views on RP is just lower for non-US stuff, and I think for standard wedgies of steam also.

Cant judge a photo by the view count. it depends on the time of day as they get lost in the back by the time some get on RP. And some don't enlarge if they can see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-06-2008 at 12:20 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Wizzo

[quote=milwman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Nice shots, Graham. Unfortunately, # views on RP is just lower for non-US stuff, and I think for standard wedgies of steam also.

Cant judge a photo by the view count. it depends on the time of day as they get lost in the back by the time some get on. And some don't enlarge if they can see it.
I'd agree with that - a landscape with the train a small part of the overall picture is more likely to receive views than an 'in your face' wedgie.

Example
Image © Richard W. Jones
PhotoID: 234310
Photograph © Richard W. Jones

The photographer got several shots of this railtour in Wales over the weekend, but so far this shot has most views

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Mike Hughes

[quote=willig]I've just got a good example that you shouldn't always go off your own instincts. What others say in these forums is very valuable. How many of us get a second pair of eyes to give an opinion on our photos?
Before I joined this site last October, I had been taking railway photos for about 35 years without any independant opinions on my work.
Bear in mind that I have always taken my pictures for my own pleasure, although years ago I had a couple of dozen printed in magazines and books (and an awful lot rejected by publishers, who gave no reasons BTW, unlike RP).
The only people who saw the shots were family and friends, few of who were as interested as me or only looked at the subject and not the overall photo. Only now am I getting some feedback.
Rejection reasons from the screeners are the first line, although at times hard to take, they usually have a point. (I'll not get into the backlit issue here.) Opinions of other photographers on the forums regarding rejections is the next place, which is very valuable. Finally, if a shot is accepted, how many people view it and/or leave comments. These two do not always go hand in hand as has been demonstrated many times.

At least you're getting your photos accepted. I'm still trying but like you I find that my photography is getting better. Unfortunately not quite there yet but who knows may be one day soon - then you'll all see a few yells on this forum site

BTW I've added a comment to your second photo whch should get there when it's been OK'd

Mike
Mike Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
captadam

Speaking only for myself ... generally, I browse and search for images in places I know. Historical shots are my favorite, and I am much more tolerant of substandard image quality if the scene itself is something I want to see. I'm less interested in the specific power in the image than in the place. Your images are aesthetically pleasing, but I would probably be less likely to go in for a closer look only because I don't know the place. I know, that's not very broad-minded of me, but that's the way I am.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Here's another case in point...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Both of these shots were accepted yesterday within an hour of each other. I almost didn't bother submitting the second one... the first is so much better. Despite this, both have just about the same number of views.

Just goes to show, assuming we know what we're talking about, that the viewers of this site don't have as good of taste as we do