Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Aaron Jors

Default Uploading Photos

I was messing around trying to upload my first photo to see what the process invloved and I keep getting the error message that my photos do not meet the size requirements.

The photo size is 982x601 which exceeds the 800x600 minimum?

What am I missing?
Aaron Jors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Ween

It might be the ratio...try a 4:3 crop or a 3:2 crop...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Joey Bowman

Thats pretty weird, Ive never had any problem trying to upload "funky" dimensions...
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
JRMDC

I don't recall their being a filter on the pixel dimensions - doesn't that occur during screening? But maybe it's automatic. For sure, oddball pixel combinations are not a problem if they fall within the guidelines (but the screener may say bad crop but that is aesthetic and not formulaic).

But it will kick out if you are uploading a file larger than 1 mb. So look for that - it's a different dimension of "size."

Also, make sure you aren't mistakenly uploading a thumbnail instead of the real thing. Not sure how that would happen, but I thought I'd mention it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Aaron;

I would go back and double check the actual size in your processing software. There may be a mistake in the size and that 982X601 might actually be a 982X599 or some such.

Joe
Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Aaron Jors

This is the error message I am receiving

Warning: copy(/home/railpictures/public_html/images/images2/_/_MG_4841.jpg.73116): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/railpictures/public_html/addphotos/upload_photo.php on line 277
failed to copy file

Warning: getimagesize(/home/railpictures/public_html/images/images2/_/_MG_4841.jpg.73116): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/railpictures/public_html/addphotos/upload_photo.php on line 282

Uploaded Photo Below Minimum Height Requirement!

The image you attempted to upload is below our minimum image height requirement of 600 pixels. Please ensure that this image is 600 pixels in width, then try uploading again.

And here is the photo, I'm positive the dimensions are 982W x 601H unless photoshop is incorrect.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
JRMDC

I see dimensions of 1178x721 and so the width well exceeds the 1024 limit.

EDIT: the EXIF shows the dimensions you state, but when I right-click on the image and go to Properties, I get the values I stated above. On-screen, it certainly looks 1178 wide and not 982.

Also, the image looks too dark to me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-03-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

EDIT: the EXIF shows the dimensions you state, but when I right-click on the image and go to Properties, I get the values I stated above. On-screen, it certainly looks 1178 wide and not 982.

Also, the image looks too dark to me.
If I right click and bring up properties the dimensions show 982x601. I however did figure out the problem and it seems that it didn't like the file name of _IMG_4841 and when I changed it to just 4841 it went through.

The other thing I found out is that it won't let you submit the picture without putting in the type of locomotive. I have no idea what locomotives are what so I guess I'll be doing alot of posting to get the answer to this question.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jors
If I right click and bring up properties the dimensions show 982x601. I however did figure out the problem and it seems that it didn't like the file name of _IMG_4841 and when I changed it to just 4841 it went through.

The other thing I found out is that it won't let you submit the picture without putting in the type of locomotive. I have no idea what locomotives are what so I guess I'll be doing alot of posting to get the answer to this question.
Hmm, I wonder from where the info in my "Properties" comes from? Or what the forum software or my browser is doing to the shot?

Regarding file names, I don't know how long you have been shooting or what your style is, but I hope you have a meaningful filing and probably file naming system so that ten years from now you know what _IMG_4841 is!

EDIT: I see from your website that actually you are an experienced photographer! So I'm sure you have the name thing down just as you want it, sorry. BTW, very nice shot of the barn in snow in the opening slide shot, simple yet a really nice feel to it.

As for loco info, the quickest way to get it is to search RP for other shots of the same engine, and barring that, other shots of similar numbers or of the same RR (assuming it's not a huge RR). Google works also.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-03-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
TAMR159

Yeah, you have to remove underscores from the filename, otherwise the system gets a little goofy. Just the say it was programmed, I guess...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
For what it's worth, visit this site. www.dieselshop.us and you can look up the engine number/road name to find out the type.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

Unless he replaced the photo above with something narrower, there's no way it's showing up in this thread as 1178 wide. I can view the entire width of the photo in my window with a good 1/4 inch on each side. When I view a 1024 wide photo, I have to scroll left and right to view the entire thing.

Or, did I misunderstand what you were saying?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Unless he replaced the photo above with something narrower, there's no way it's showing up in this thread as 1178 wide. I can view the entire width of the photo in my window with a good 1/4 inch on each side. When I view a 1024 wide photo, I have to scroll left and right to view the entire thing.

Or, did I misunderstand what you were saying?
Well, I've looked at it again, and I was wrong about how it appears, in terms of how much of my 1280x800 screen it fills up. So I believe that it is 982x601 or whatever the numbers were. But the Properties are what they are. Which I don't understand.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Ween

^^^Time to run a virus scan...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
CNWFreak

Quote:

It's a GP38AC, and if your gonna be doing alot of shooting the WSOR their website has a nice locomotive roster, except they cheat and call GP38AC's just GP38s. Also all their locomotives also have the locomotive model painted on them on the lower front corners.

http://www.wsorrailroad.com/gallery/roster.html

http://www.thedieselshop.us/WSOR.HTML

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote