Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default Who are these guys?

I'm not big into planes but I can't believe some of the photos at jetphotos.net. Go to the screeners choice and take a look. The photos there really blow away many of the trains pics. They do get a better chance at including the sky but all I can say is wow. Hey, when does railpictures.net site get a face lift? Jetphotos.net has a real nice homepage title bar.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
JRMDC

I don't think the JP screeners choices blow away the RP screeners choices as a body. The air stuff has a certain pizazz the train stuff does not, and the train stuff has a lot of landscapey beauty that the air does not. I see silhouette shots there, just like here, I see other stuff just like here. I see some unusual lighting in both. On my occasional visits to JP, I have noticed a lot of regular and ordinary stuff, the equivalent of our wedgies.

I should say I only looked at the first screenfull!

This shot is super-cool:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6111179

But even that, it isn't so far removed from those shots I have seen here that crewmembers have taken from the front of the locomotive at night, with everything blurred.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Have you also noticed how many views some of these photo's get? It is unbelieveable.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Ween

There's so much more variability and options when shooting planes than there is when shooting trains. The two airplane photos I've taken while standing still and the airplane is moving were many times harder to capture than any train photo I've taken. The speeds involved and the uncertaintity of where the subject will be (i.e. trains are on the rails and thus predictible...planes can be up, down, left, right, or any combination of those) make aviation photography much more difficult.

I have 700 photos in the database at RP. 0 were Screener's Choice, 0 were People's Choice, and 0 were the Photo of the Week.

For comparison, I have 9 photos in the database at RP. 3 were Screener's Choice, 1 was a People's Choice, and 1 was Photo of the Week.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5929773
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5983595
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5933372

The opportunites I got when it came to my plane photos could never be matched when it comes to my rail photography. Well, I shouldn't say that...this shot (my most popular on RP) was taken on the same day:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173052
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

However, having many more options of how to capture the subject yields far more interesting compositions in aviation photography than it does in rail photography.

Last edited by Ween; 12-10-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
travsirocz

Those are some great photos ween.

I think one reason some of the jet photos pop is because it is one big object to photograph instead of a big and really long object. Also, you can shoot a plane from any angle and perspective where trains shots are more how you work in the scenery with the train.

The train photos on this site are great also but the jet photos do have some sort of really cool feel to them.

I know i am comparing apples to oranges. I still think it would be nice to have a site facelift.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
CNWFreak

Whoa, those jets sure have a funky paint job for the Air Force. At first I thought I was seeing Coast Guard F16s. Nothing still can beat the looks of a Tomcat. GO NAVY!

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
alexramos

Airliners.net also has some really awesome photos. I visit that site on a regular basis.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...h?toprated=yes

I also really like this one ; - )

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5690656&nseq=10

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
However, having many more options of how to capture the subject yields far more interesting compositions in aviation photography than it does in rail photography.
I completely disagree!

I like to think I have a creative eye when it comes to aviation photography (I have the second highest average views/photo rating on JP.net), but I enjoy the challenge of setting up a rail shot far more than capturing an aircraft frame.

Unless you're lucky enough to have routine air-to-air photo ops , opportunities to get an original shot of a train far outnumber those of an aircraft, at least in my experience. A train travelling 2,000 miles has limitless possibilities; an aircraft travelling the same distance has just a few, at the origin and departure airports!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
travsirocz

The day in and day out pictures jet photos are the same quality as railnets. Actually most of the day in and day out are kinda boring because of the same view. Also it looks like 25% are all taken at the same location on the beach in Netherlands. (I wish I could see that beach and jets myself) The editors picks and screeners choice are the photos that are very cool and I think we have a hard time competing with just those jet photos.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexramos
Alex, you might want to label that one "NSFW" due to the topless girl in the right foreground of the photo.

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
JimThias

The comments for that photo are hilarious.

But holy cow...

Quote:
This photo has been viewed 275,492 unique times since added on March 9, 2006
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Bill

Looking at that site, can we add watermarking here on Railpictures? I don't think those watermarks detract from the images at all, we should add that option here.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
JimThias

Just had a thought...

Jetphotos is run by the same people as railpics, right? If so, does that mean an exceptional photograph/compostion that includes a woman flashing her boobs is acceptable here? What's the difference?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Just had a thought...

Jetphotos is run by the same people as railpics, right? If so, does that mean an exceptional photograph/compostion that includes a woman flashing her boobs is acceptable here? What's the difference?
Are you aware of any that have been rejected??????

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Are you aware of any that have been rejected??????
Believe it or not, a few have been! There's a busy French rail line on the coast that runs right behind a completely nude beach, and several months ago, a photographer 'artistically' included several of the beach's patrons in his shots from there. They were rejected, though, for full frontal nudity (both male and female)... and trust me, if you saw these folks, you'd be thankful we did!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Looking at that site, can we add watermarking here on Railpictures? I don't think those watermarks detract from the images at all, we should add that option here.

Thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill,

That's something we'll be working on after the first of the year. There was a pretty big discussion about it a few weeks ago, and it was agreed that it would be a good addition here.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Hi Bill,

That's something we'll be working on after the first of the year. There was a pretty big discussion about it a few weeks ago, and it was agreed that it would be a good addition here.
Chris, while you're at it, you *need* to add the ability for a handy thumbnail / link like that for railpictures. I'm working on a train/web project right now that would benefit tremendously from it. I would guess it'll generate a moderate number of page views when I finish it.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

Quote:
and trust me, if you saw these folks, you'd be thankful we did!
I know what your desktop photo is now!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Believe it or not, a few have been! There's a busy French rail line on the coast that runs right behind a completely nude beach, and several months ago, a photographer 'artistically' included several of the beach's patrons in his shots from there. They were rejected, though, for full frontal nudity (both male and female)... and trust me, if you saw these folks, you'd be thankful we did!

Ok, now that I got that out of my system...

So what you're saying is, if there's a tastefully done topless shot like that one on jetphotos, you'd accept it?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
bigbassloyd

Quote:

So what you're saying is, if there's a tastefully done topless shot like that one on jetphotos, you'd accept it?
Wonder if I can talk my wife into.... nevermind!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
Frederick

Quote:

Ok, now that smiley is kind of creepy looking.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 AM   #22
Bill

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Thank you, much appreciated.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #23
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

This is as good as I could come up with. However, it was rejected (no surprise) yet the photo of the guy peeing made it into the database.

John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #24
alstom
Banned

Onto the old discussion of this thread, I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with almost the lot of you. While views from aircraft down onto Earth might be extraordinary, it seems that is one of the only options you have of shooting aircraft. Either that, or ground shots at Airports. For the artistic photos on Jet-photos.net, I don't think that they exceed the level of awesomeness (I made a word) that the artistic photos on rail-pictures.net provide. On a side note, maybe it is just because railroads are my hobby, but aircraft of all types bores me.

To me, an airplane is just an object, with wings on either side, powered by an engine and has seats on the inside. Now I know that is what some people who know nothing of trains probably think about trains, just an object with seats inside, that is long and ties up traffic. Trains provide much more opportunity to me. Airplanes are either in the air or on the ground, and if the plane is not located at an Airport with good scenery, it is basically the equivalent of a boring railroad yard photo. Photos of an airplane in the sky to me, with views of the Earth below, may be nice, but as said earlier, are one of your few options to shooting airplanes. Railroads, you can go almost anywhere in the entire World, and find scenery in which you may shoot a locomotive with railcars passing through. Excellent! If you want to shoot Aircraft in fall colors, you better hope that the airport is in a wooded vicinity. Trains can also be shot from the sky, in Aircraft. Shots down on little trains are extraordinary in instances like such. Plus, aircraft can turn any which way, and you may not be able to do much in terms of photography. It can take a big sweeping curve suddenly. Trains, you KNOW where they are going, and can chase and shoot them. The word "chase" also sticks out to me. How can you chase a plane? You can NOT! Impossible. To me, everything is set up better for trains. Much more photographic opportunities on the railroad. Aircraft, you need an airport or you need to be inside of the aircraft itself.

Aircraft, in my opinion, just does not jump out and say "shoot a photo of me." I understand non-railfans think the same about trains. But, aircraft, with all of the above mentioned items, and my personal thought of how ugly (this is my opinion, not yours) aircraft is, is the prime reasoning as to why you will NEVER catch me shooting on or from a piece of aircraft. The only way you will ever see me shooting from an aircraft, is if it is above some form of railroad material that is shootable. Trains are so much more interesting to me. I love the endless railroad equipment such as signals, crossing gates, horns, and bells. Trains look better to me than just one object such as a piece of aircraft. Trains are longer and have more variety contained in them. Maybe one piece of aircraft is "rare" or such, but on a train, you can end up with a rare locomotive and several rare railcars. Chances are greater, and the variety is greater. Plus, as said earlier, I think all aircraft is terribly ugly (MY opinion). That is why I hate these types of back-and-forth debates. So, just keep in mind that this is my opinion and commentary, it was not directed at anyone, so please take no offense. Just understand my perspective.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #25
JimThias

Alstom, so what you're saying is...you don't like jets?