Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
CNWFreak

Default Thoughts on Rebel XT

Hope everyone had a good Thanks Giving. Right now I'm looking into purchasing a new SLR to replace my point & shoot. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel XT, and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it, positive or negative. Thanks in advance!

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
CUDA7185

Send a message via AIM to CUDA7185

For the money, it's a very good camera. I've had mine for a couple years now, and it's been extremely reliable.

As far as the negatives, I've heard complaints about its size (its body is smaller than most DSLR's on the market) but this never really concerned me. The kit lens that comes with the camera is decent enough, but if you have the extra cash you might want to buy the body only and get a separate lens.

If you want more information about the XT, check out Amazon's page which includes many more reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...5865052&sr=8-1

My Photos on Railpictures.Net
My Railroad & HO Scale Model Photos at Fotopic.Net
CUDA7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA7185
As far as the negatives, I've heard complaints about its size (its body is smaller than most DSLR's on the market) but this never really concerned me.
I was intending to buy one and borrowed my neighbors. It was so small that I went with the 20D instead. I've heard lots and lots of good things about it, but the size seems to bother enough people, reading the photography boards, that I would suggest you find one to check with your own hands.

dpreview.com has lots and lots of great camera reviews

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
CNWFreak

Thanks for the help. I have held the store display one before, and didn't have issues with the size.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

I've used my for about ten hours today. I actually got the XTi, or the 400D, after having a 300D for almost four years. The size concerned me and I had held a store model in my hands several times. But after a day with mine, it's not been an issue so far. Here's what I think it is. The 300D was the size roughly of my Elan 7 and most other SLRs. For whatever reason, Canon made the 350D and later cameras smaller.

I had been wanting to upgrade for about a year and a half now and thought when the 40D came out, that's the one I would go with. So in comparing how the 40D felt when holding it compared to the 400D, it was very noticeable. I didn't like the feel of the 400D at all. Until I looked my budget and realized I simply could not get the 40D until tax season and then would have to cut a planned trip out completely.

But I could get the 400D now no problem. Suddenly, the size of the 400D became a non issue instantly.

First impression of the 400D is that it is much faster starting up and much faster taking the next shot, albeit so far everything I have shot has been standting still. Except for my son who can't be still.

Joe

Joe
Old 11-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #6
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

I bought the 400D, in January (just before leaving Manchester to move back to Australia). It did feel a little weird to begin with, but I quickly adapted. It feels just right, now.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
JimThias

I've got larger hands, but I use a battery grip on mine, so camera size has never been an issue with me. I also used a smaller Olympus P&S before the 350D, so it was actually a step up in size.

One thing about this camera, the L lenses from Canon definitely make a difference in image quality over their standard non-L lenses. Sure, you're going to pay more, but in the long run, it's worth it...especially if you've got some "once-in-a-lifetime" type shots.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Carl Becker

Not that I have any experience with it personally, but, while looking at some reviews and other sites, I've heard horror stories about the XT's viewfinder. Also, before you go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy to get your XT, check around online at sites like Amazon.com. You might just be able to get an XTi for the exact same amount, or less (although I have heard some people say that it's best to start with the XT instead of the XTi, for some reason?)...
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Joey Bowman

I dont see why it would be better to start with an XT instead of an XTi, what are the reasons some people say this should be done for?

Also, some one mentioned a battery grip, not a bad choice at all! Not only does it help out those of us with larger hands, but with both batteries in the grip I easily shot over 2000+++ pictures before having to recharge batteries.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Not that I have any experience with it personally, but, while looking at some reviews and other sites, I've heard horror stories about the XT's viewfinder. Also, before you go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy to get your XT, check around online at sites like Amazon.com. You might just be able to get an XTi for the exact same amount, or less (although I have heard some people say that it's best to start with the XT instead of the XTi, for some reason?)...
It has a 95% coverage area. There is little noticeable difference between other cameras. Also, it is intentionally made that way so it is easier to frame when handheld.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Ween

Don'tcha love it when you get feedback on a product that the reviewer has no personal experience with? Genius.

Anyway, I've had the XT for over two and a half years and here's my hands-on, actually used, not-read-on-and-repeated-from-Amazon review:

Positive:
- Image quality is excellent. And like Jim said, it's even better when you have L Glass on the front of it. You can get great results from the Kit Lens, but you better have ideal light.
- Start-up time is instantaneous (although to be fair, I think most dSLRs are this way now, but when it came out, it was a huge step up from the Digital Rebel).
- Autofocus has been great. I've missed one shot (out of several thousand) because of the Autofocus, and that was because it was lower light and I was doing a 'mash shot with the headlights shining directly into the camera.
- Good ISO performance at ISO 400. I even have one shot in the database here that was ISO 800.
- Durability. Some will say it's cheaply made and it's 'plastic-y', but I've always thought it felt soild. And to show its durability, mine was accidentally dropped from about 18" direclty on its lid. The fall was great enough to bend the metal on both hot shoe mounts, but it came out fine (and so did the Sigma lens).
- Battery life. Never had an issue with it.
- Size has never been an outright problem*.
- The shot buffer is enough to meet my needs trackside. I've used it to shoot soccer, and didn't have a problem with it.

Negative:
- I don't like the viewfinder. I find that I can't manually focus when looking through it, but then again, I'm not sure how much better I'd be able to do it on a 30D or 40D.
- *The smaller size does feel a little odd when I have the 6" 70-200mm lens on front. I'm not sure if I'd have better balance on a larger dSLR or not.
- No ISO display in the viewfinder. It's usally pretty intuitive when I have a shutter that's way fast for the conditions I'm shooting it, but it would have been nicve to include the ISO info when you're looking through the viewfinder.
- Auto white balance. It does a good job 90% of the time, but I find myself manually fixing it the other 10% when post processing (but that's why I shoot RAW...so I have that option).
- The LCD. By today's standard, it's small and has low resolution.
- The histogram doesn't display RGB, but rather gives an overall display of exposure.
- No spot metering. I haven't used this feature, but I'd like to have the option.

Overall:
A great first dSLR. If I could go back and change my decision, I wouldn't. Just remember, the investment you're making isn't with the camera body so much as it is with the lenses. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

As an owner of an XT with quite a few miles on it, I'm going to agree with everything Ween has said except one... my personal experience has been that the autofocus on the XT is not very good at all.

This is actually an issue for others too, as it be found on many photography boards about the camera. (This was discussed on another thread, and the possibility sure exists that this is a problem with some XTs but not with other XTs).

I manually focus whenever I can.

That being said, the brighter the light out the better the autofocus works (it's looking for contrast)... so if you're mainly shooting under ideal conditions with warm sun behind your back, the autofocus is pretty accurate at those times.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=6113
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=6113

That is a thread about the XT Autofocus. I just found out though there is a way to change the focal point and have it favor one area over the other.

The thing I don't like is there is no focusing grid, you can use the auto focus box lines though, but I really like grids.

Last edited by Greg P; 11-24-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
MILWfan

I don't own the XT, but I do own the XTi and it is a good camera. The kit lens how ever leaves you somewhat displeased and surely does not show what the camera can really do. Now about size it seems fine to me, when I was shopping around I narrowed it down to the XTi or the D40, I chose the XTi because the D40 seemed awkward in my hands, it was both small and the shutter button was in awkward position for me.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

After using my XTi for two days, I fially loaded them onto my computer last night. I was kinda surprised because they were not as sharp as the sme shots would have been mine with my 300D. I used the 10 to 22 mm on about 40% of the shots and the 70 to 200 mm f4 on the others. Is there a way to pick how sharp you want your pictures in camera like on the 300D? On some it was a matter of not being sharp; on others it was that they were plain out of focus, even if just barely, when I am confident the old 300D would have been able to handle it.

Admittedly, I do need to read the manual more and also set the focus points to where I want them.

Joe
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Is there a way to pick how sharp you want your pictures in camera like on the 300D?
Are you shooting JPGs? I'm pretty sure the in camera sharpening setting does not affect a RAW file. If JPG, then yes there is a setting, don't know the exact details.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
As an owner of an XT with quite a few miles on it, I'm going to agree with everything Ween has said except one... my personal experience has been that the autofocus on the XT is not very good at all.
How so? I see a difference in autofocusing between lenses. That tells me the issue is more with the lenses, NOT the camera.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
How so? I see a difference in autofocusing between lenses. That tells me the issue is more with the lenses, NOT the camera.
I have it on all lenses.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #20
JimThias

Good enough, Charles. I've just noticed focusing differences in speed between the lenses, so that's why I asked.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
CNWFreak

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I have about 3/4 of the money saved. Hopefully I should have enough money after the Christmas season. Right now the XT is $493.00 on Beach Camera. Thanks again!

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
Old 11-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Good enough, Charles. I've just noticed focusing differences in speed between the lenses, so that's why I asked.
I've noticed the same, by the way. And the problem is not as pronounced on my Sigma 17-70 as the kit lens... but I still have it, sadly, to some extant with every lens I've used (including some borrowed from my father-in-law).

There is a possibility that I (and others who report this issue) have lemons (besides this issue, I really love the camera).