Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2016, 02:55 AM   #1
Kyle Korienek

Default Year In Review - Your Best Of 2015

A personal favorite thread of mine every year, and since it's officially 2016 now, why not start this thread sooner rather than later? Share your best of last year, it can be 1, 2, 5, 10, or however many you see fit, just don't be shy.

I guess I'll break the ice:

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 558069
Photograph © Kyle Korienek

This was my favorite photo of the year. It did not receive a tremendous amount of publicity on here, but that doesn't matter too much, it is a photo that very few have, as to get the shot, you have to set up on railroad property. But, thanks to a new job with Canadian National, and the blessing of superiors, I was able to set up and achieve this shot, and I was thrilled to be able to pull it off on the first try, which, anyone who does night flash shots, pulling off a shot with any sort of supporting structures in addition to the train on the first try is a nice feeling.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 552584

This was my most viewed of the year, just proof that carnage sells on this site. I was very happy to be able to shoot it, since I had an unexpected day off from work (at least until they called me in to work...), but I was more happy that none of the new signal equipment that had been turned on for only about 2 weeks did not get hit.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 520611

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 517026

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 521411

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 518153

While I did get a job with CN in March, about 2 months prior to that, I took a job with CSX. Part of the job was that I had to spend 6 weeks in Atlanta for training. I was skeptical to spend that much time in Atlanta, as I am a Michigan man, but I was fortunate to meet some great Atlanta area photogs; 2 of which that extended their southern hospitality were Brad Kindschy (A Michigan native) and Kyle Yunker. These 2 are great photographers and great people who know endless number of spots to shoot the greater Atlanta area. I am forever grateful to them for their hospitality and intend to go back someday.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 535847

Part of my new job had me traveling a bit when I first started, that has changed for the time being, but that could change. While I am one who enjoys going home every night, being able to see some of the areas surrounding where we were staying was cool. This shot was a nice example, as I had very little desire to drive 2+ hours for the slim opportunity for this, but when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped, and I'm glad I did, as the power plant was torn down about 2 months ago, making this shot impossible now.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 557414

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 557072

One of my goals for 2015 was to improve in flash shots. While some people are rather indifferent to them, the opportunity to shoot past dusk and before dawn is appealing, and can really create some cool opportunities (some that come with more sleep deprivation than others). I don't consider myself to be even close to the same plane as people like Gary Knapp or Kevin Burkholder, I think I could be doing a lot worse.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 551141

Every year, I try for that signature fall color shot on my favorite railroad to shoot, Great Lakes Central. This year I feel was no different, as the color here in Michigan was outstanding. While this shot was possible thanks to some rather undesired bereavement time from work, sitting at home is not the way to use it.

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 559868

My last submission from the year 2015 is another prime example of the fringe benefits of working for CN signal dept. Another fringe benefit is utilizing the height of the signals to create a new perspective, which only a few months ago here, was not possible from this angle and would have been blocked by the old GTW searchlight signals. I must state that I do not condone climbing any railroad equipment, whether signals, freight cars, locomotives, etc. unless you work for the railroad, are in PPE, it is safe to climb, and have the blessing of superiors. All that aside, who needs a drone? I think they're overrated anyway...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote