Old 07-18-2015, 04:43 AM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA View Post
It is on this kind of non exhaustive cases above that screening rules MUST change, screeners are like a "too small private club" where there is no (never) dialogues with RPN members and that actions are too categorical.
The best example is regarding JM Frybourg know by everyone here have proposed "to open mind" to a non US screening team, but no response, or categorical negative response ! It is terrifying... Now he have left RPN and don't post any more...
You sure about that?

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 537685
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #27
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Oftentimes I've seen similar arguments that everything runs its course. Yahoo groups evolve into Facebook groups... Railpictures evolves into Flickr... And so forth. RP.Net, in my opinion has some major advantages over Flickr.

1. It is competitive. People like competition.
2. Some people like to learn... For the aspiring and up-and-coming artists, they enjoy the "learning" aspect that the rejection system offers.
3. An award system; the concept of SC, PCA, POTW, and the elusive EP awards.
4. Strong feedback; good views and a social media presence that helps.

Yes, I realize people leave because they are often offended or upset by what they classify as inconsistency, favoritism, etc. Anytime any of the aforementioned criteria is on the table, you'll have ruffled feathers and conflicting opinions. It's nature.

I conclude these very simple and basic statements with the following statistics.

July: 4,018 Photos Screened. More than 45 percent of those images have been accepted.

The year 2015 has brought us more than 45,000 uploads. 47 percent of our annual uploads have been accepted.

We have some terrific artists who are sharing their work with us; many of which I have had the opportunity to talk to this year. Technology and the digital age gives everybody an online destination to share their images. Railpictures continues to serve as a popular outlet for the many, many talented artists out there, particularly among the younger generation.

Chase Gunnoe
Chase, I agree with everything you say, or at least almost everything. But what is not said is that RP could be better, should admit it could be better, and should try to be better. The how can be debated, and opinions may differ, but it would helpful to know that at least the issues are acknowledged by "management". A large part of it is communications. We don't hear from folks like you very often, and the silence is deafening. I don't expect screeners to get involved in a running debate about every image (presumably they don't have the time), but it would be helpful if there was more discussion here so that whether we agree or disagree we don't feel you are just ignoring the folks who provide your bread and butter. Clearly some of the screening is, to be polite, inconsistent. Let's hear your side of it occasionally.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #28
Daniel MINACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You sure about that?

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 537685
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg
May be he have not left and close his account but what is sure is that his posting are so much less as before !
It is really demotivating...
Old 07-20-2015, 02:35 AM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA View Post
May be he have not left and close his account but what is sure is that his posting are so much less as before !
It is really demotivating...
Maybe he's traveling and doesn't have time to submit pics right now.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #30
Daniel MINACA

Yes Jim, he said here that he's tied about posting problems and probably he's going to leave...
But maybe he's going to react if he's reading this post !
Jean Marc ??? Are you there ???
Old 08-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #31
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

My favorite complaint on RP is that we feel this picture or that picture shouldn't be on the site while at the same time we want no restrictions to what "we" can upload like flickr. What makes this site different then the rest is the selection process and the awards as Chase has said.

Ways to make RP better? Endless scrolling would be a great feature.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #32
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Endless scrolling would be a great feature.
Not if your ISP sucks! Flickr tried it and backpedaled under the pressure of all the complaints due to slow page loading.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote