The official end of an era...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/us/30film.html

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
JRMDC

Wow, one guy spend $16k to develop 1600 rolls of slides of trains!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
lock4244

One wonders why he waited so long?

I shot K64 for about a decade, and only switched to digital because it was a PITA to get the K64 developed, was expensive, and the writing was on the wall. I find it ironic that the Paul Simon song 'Kodachrome' contains the line "I gotta Nikon camera"... that was me, two Nikon F3's and Kodachrome. Still have a few rolls, including one that will never be developed.

Those here that only know digital will never know what it was like to shoot Kodachrome, and, IMO, what it was like to truly make a photograph. Digital opens some many possibilities, but it takes away a key element... knowing the film and how to use it. That view screen on the back of the camera takes away alot of the skill. If you shot Kodachrome, you know exactly what I mean by that.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Those here that only know digital will never know what it was like to shoot Kodachrome, and, IMO, what it was like to truly make a photograph. Digital opens some many possibilities, but it takes away a key element... knowing the film and how to use it. That view screen on the back of the camera takes away alot of the skill. If you shot Kodachrome, you know exactly what I mean by that.
Exactly. That's why I railed for so long against those that always touted RAW as a way to save your shots if you messed up the settings. With digital, there's no excuse for messing up the settings unless you don't know what you're doing. Shooting Kodachrome for a few years taught me more about cameras than digital ever could have. There were no test shots, no checking the histogram on the back of the camera; you had to know your settings and get it right the first time.

- Chris
Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Wow, one guy spend $16k to develop 1600 rolls of slides of trains!
Thats about what it cost me a year to buy and process a years film, Don't miss that at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 12-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Exactly. There were no test shots, no checking the histogram on the back of the camera; you had to know your settings and get it right the first time.

- Chris
I try vary hard to shoot my 50D like film even tho you can fix most RAW's I like nailing it right out of the camera, A left over from film days?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
I try vary hard to shoot my 50D like film even tho you can fix most RAW's I like nailing it right out of the camera, A left over from film days?
No, just good technique. =)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Exactly. That's why I railed for so long against those that always touted RAW as a way to save your shots if you messed up the settings. With digital, there's no excuse for messing up the settings unless you don't know what you're doing. Shooting Kodachrome for a few years taught me more about cameras than digital ever could have. There were no test shots, no checking the histogram on the back of the camera; you had to know your settings and get it right the first time.

- Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
I think the part in bold is right, the words "left over", or at least those words contain insight. It may be that modern technology has devalued the skill of getting it right the first time, just as it has devalued so many other skills. One comes to mind right now, reading maps, really reading maps and finding the best route, vs. just printing out the google/yahoo/mapquest instructions. Not so important a skill as it used to be. That saddens me.

I don't care much about the film ethos myself; I understand the value of getting it "right" in camera is not zero, I respect those who do care but it isn't that important to me. I care about getting the end product right.

And, of course, I myself don't produce the sort of end product for which higher levels of care are needed. I don't recall ever taking a shot for which I wasn't either close enough to take care of in PP or so far off that film vs. digital mattered, nothing was saving those shots. So I personally can get it right just by getting it close in camera.

Kudos to those who do, but for me the kudos really go to those who get the fantastic images; whether they get it right in camera and tweak minimally or get it close and PP, doesn't much matter to me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-30-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
IHapsias

I can remember using my mom's kodak camera as a child, taking photos on the Durango & Silverton, and Horseshoe Curve. Brings back childhood memories, I remember a thing or 2 about the film, and we still have the camera hanging around the house somewhere. We got ours printed off, and have those photos stored as memories in scrapbooks. What were you memories of using Kodachrome?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
lock4244

Ian, you couldn't get Kodachrome slides printed... they are slides (prints could be made from them, but that is something completely different). Kodak made alot of types of film, and I'd imagine you were shooting print film.

More Pics Here
Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

When I read that Jim DeNike, 53, a "railroad worker" from Arkansas, had spent $15,000, got 1580 rolls developed, and that all those 50,000 Kodachrome shots were of trains,

I got a big stupid grin on my face all morning.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I got a big stupid grin on my face all morning.
Classic! Now I have one!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking The Death of Kodachrome.

I have but one thing to say about this issue.....

BFD

Film is over, its done, it had it's day and it's demise is no big deal.

You don't hear anyone complaining that LPs, or cassette tapes, or 8-tracks, or CD's are gone, so why lament over some film?

Unless that is your passion like all those people on Flickr that shoot Polaroids.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

BFD

You don't hear anyone complaining that LPs, or cassette tapes, or 8-tracks, or CD's are gone, so why lament over some film?

Unless that is your passion like all those people on Flickr that shoot Polaroids.
In the future, I shall keep your sentiments in mind.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 12-31-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
I have a box of cassettes in the basement that, alas, are not getting played anymore. Same with my LPs.

As for CDs, are you kidding? Sure, MP3 and the like are the current new standard but CDs have hardly gone by the wayside, still selling lots of them. They are my family's means of acquiring music. Lumping CDs and 8-track into the same set is pretty silly. I remember, as a kid, a LONG time ago, buying a grand total of ONE (1) 8-track, because cassettes had become the way to go.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb If You Like Film then by all Means Shoot it.

Quote:
In the future, I shall keep your sentiments in mind.
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but the continuing lamentations by some that film makes you a better photographer is like arguing that Eric Clapton is a hack guitar player because he plays an electric most of the time.

Sure there were no do overs in film and the settings had to be correct each time, but digital allows people to push the art further than before because they don't spend as much time retaking messed up shots.

Further from an environmental stand point, digital is way better because there are not as many nasty chemicals involved and the overall cost is so much cheaper.

Now people are not so limited in this art form by what they can afford to have processed and why would anyone shoot rolls of film that they didn't intend to get processed?

That is just silly and a waste of the film because old film does not make good images - that is common knowledge.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
As for CDs, are you kidding? Sure, MP3 and the like are the current new standard but CDs have hardly gone by the wayside, still selling lots of them. They are my family's means of acquiring music. Lumping CDs and 8-track into the same set is pretty silly.
Agreed. Every time a new album of a band I like comes out, I compare the cost of the CD vs. the cost on iTunes. Most of the time, surprisingly, the CD is a dollar or two cheaper.

- Chris
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
lock4244

Quote:

BFD

Yeah, sure. I bet you miss the Santa Fe, Southern Pacific and Western Pacific, right? BFD that they're gone?

To lament is human...

The point that may have been missed is that shooting film was different than digital. Just like LP's, 8 tracks, and cassettes are different from digital (CD's are digital)... the sound is different and some might say better (not me, though), so it is with film.

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 12-31-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but the continuing lamentations by some that film makes you a better photographer is like arguing that Eric Clapton is a hack guitar player because he plays an electric most of the time.

That is just silly and a waste of the film because old film does not make good images - that is common knowledge.
I do not subscribe to the thought that film makes you a better photographer. That is neo-Luddite behavior. Nor do I ascribe to the assertion that any previous technology is superior.

Film, like digital, is just a part of the the toolkit with the most important part of that tool kit being the photographer's brain.

Technology, ever since the discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel, exists solely for the betterment of the human race and inexorably marches on.

When you say old film is bad, I take it that you mean outdated film, not that film itself is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Yeah, sure. I bet you miss the Santa Fe, Southern Pacific and Western Pacific, right? BFD that they're gone?

To lament is human...

The point that may have been missed is that shooting film was different than digital. Just like LP's, 8 tracks, and cassettes are different from digital (CD's are digital)... the sound is different and some might say better (not me, though), so it is with film.
I agree with Mike that lamentation is human and that the previous technology simply is different. Long time users of discarded technology will miss aspects, ancillary or not, because it has been a part of their lives. Sometimes, as in my life, it a part of their bread and butter.

My signature has been "Lover of old, user of new." Therefore I love steam locomotive's and film cameras.

However, if I had to be drilling freight at 2AM in heavy precipitation or doing a photo shoot, I would prefer a diesel or a digital camera.

I am ambivalent about Kodachrome since I way always a slave and never a master of it. Consequently, I haven't used Kodachrome regularly since the 90's.

However, since Kodachrome has been inexorably intertwined with photography for 70 years, I just wished to be a part of a respectful goodbye.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
troy12n
Banned

Guess all those rolls of Kodachrome 64 I kept in the freezer that I was going to sell for $1000 a roll 10 years from now just became useless...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Kodachrome

Quote:
...[portion omitted]...Technology, ever since the discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel, exists solely for the betterment of the human race and inexorably marches on.
LOL - You are so correct.

Quote:
...[portion omitted]When you say old film is bad, I take it that you mean outdated film, not that film itself is.
Yes, outdated materials were always ify to use and the conundrum being that they were expensive so you wanted to get some use out of them, but you took the risk that the chemicals or plastic that the emulsion was coated on would be no good.

Same with print paper and processing chemicals.

Quote:
...[portion omitted]....I agree with Mike that lamentation is human and that the previous technology simply is different. Long time users of discarded technology will miss aspects, ancillary or not, because it has been a part of their lives. Sometimes, as in my life, it a part of their bread and butter.
And this is not a bad thing. I like an operating steam engine just as much as the next person, if not more.

I sort of feel cheated that I missed the 1000's of them that once roamed the earth.

Quote:
My signature has been "Lover of old, user of new." Therefore I love steam locomotive's and film cameras.
Me too and I have a my mother's old Canon AE-1 with a roll of B&W film in it right now.

Quote:
However, if I had to be drilling freight at 2AM in heavy precipitation or doing a photo shoot, I would prefer a diesel or a digital camera.
I rode the first modern round trip that AT&SF 3751 took from Los Angeles to San Diego back in 2008. (The last time was 1959.)

During that trip, it is clear why diesels replaced steam - the most obvious reason was the 45 minute water stop at the half way point on both the trip down and back.

Quote:
I am ambivalent about Kodachrome since I way always a slave and never a master of it. Consequently, I haven't used Kodachrome regularly since the 90's.
I can't remember specifically using it.

During the 80's I was shooting, developing and printing both color and B&W and I used whatever the school bought wholesale or what I could afford on my meager budget.

Quote:
Kodachrome has been inexorably intertwined with photography for 70 years..
I wonder if it's demise would have been as well publicized without the Paul Simon song?

Also, the reason I included CDs is because the days are numbered for that technology.

I know that is what everyone currently uses, but the iPod and the *.mp3 spin offs have sealed the fate on that medium.

For instance, I don't use my portable CD player anymore because I have ripped my entire collection and use the iPod.

Consequently, the CD is doomed.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-01-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Justin Franz

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Guess all those rolls of Kodachrome 64 I kept in the freezer that I was going to sell for $1000 a roll 10 years from now just became useless...
Haha, classic. I was hoping to save one roll of Kodachrome, but this summer while on a trip with my Dad I forked it over to him as he franticly looked for another roll in his bag. Should have told him that the trackside market price is about $120.

To respond to the "who cares" crowd... I think the big reason the passing of Kodachrome has gotten so much attention (and not just on railfan forums, but in the news) is that it was the end of an era in popular culture. For the better part of 75 years, color slide film was how people recorded their vacations, families and memories. At this point, I'd say it's more a nostalgia thing for most people.

And since we're talking about the end of an era, here's a Kodachrome from another end. June 2002, the last month of the Cartier Railway being "all Alco."

Image © Justin Franz
PhotoID: 265061
Photograph © Justin Franz

Justin Franz

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Justin Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
Holloran Grade
Banned

Default Stuff on Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Ya, and perhaps you should take Jimmy Hoffa out of there too and give what is left of him back to his family, I believe they are still looking for him.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
I wonder if it's demise would have been as well publicized without the Paul Simon song?
A good point of conjecture. I like to think that Paul's song, while definitely adding to the public appeal of the topic, was just a condiment.

Quote:
Also, the reason I included CDs is because the days are numbered for that technology.
Agreed. Because every bit of tech we have will be superseded one day by something that is better.

In the end, this thread's purpose is just to say goodbye to something that was a warm part of some of our lives.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
crazytiger

Quote:
Ya, and perhaps you should take Jimmy Hoffa out of there too and give what is left of him back to his family, I believe they are still looking for him.
Classic. You cracked me up.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote