Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Frederick

Default Why is MAC preffered for photo editing?

I keep hearing how much better Macs are for photo editing. But why? I've never really heard any reasons why.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

One of my reasons for having a Mac system in general is that it's a lot less likely to get some virus that comes through and trashes your files. Plus, color profiles are supported, file browsing is a snap, and it never has problems. My current Apple laptop is six years old, has been a trooper, and I'll buy another one within the next few months. I'd keep this one, except that it's a little sluggish with those 28MB RAW files.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Joey Bowman

We use Imac G5's at school. I hope to buy one for myself by the end of the year.

My biggest reason for wanting one is mentioned above, virtually no viruses. I have had so much trouble with viruses on my PC in the past few weeks that I actually had to buy real Anti Virus software.

I also like the size of the ones at school, everything is right there inside the monitor, all of it, that is a big space saver, though PC's are slowly starting to adapt this(like the new HP's). I also like the fact that if a program freezes up you usually have the ability to do the "force quit" operation. On PC's you can try doing CTRL ALT DLT but 99% of the time this does not work and only prolongs the problem.

Operation wise, the ones at school are usually flawless, they work faster, I can work on more images, and do more. I can not compare my PC at home to the Macs at school, mainly because my PC is 3 or 4 years old and only has 256mb of ram.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
My biggest reason for wanting one is mentioned above, virtually no viruses. I have had so much trouble with viruses on my PC in the past few weeks that I actually had to buy real Anti Virus software.
I've had the same PC for nearly 4 years and I haven't had a single virus. You just have to control what comes into your computer it's very easy to do without spending a single cent on software.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I've had the same PC for nearly 4 years and I haven't had a single virus. You just have to control what comes into your computer it's very easy to do without spending a single cent on software.
Same here! I do pay for McAfee which also bogs the computer down but not many issues at all. Knock on wood!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Same here! I do pay for McAfee which also bogs the computer down but not many issues at all. Knock on wood!
McAffe is useless and horridly overpriced. I use Ad-Aware, I had a large virus on my desktop at one time, I paid $85 for McAffe, and it couldn't find the virus; and it was blinking several different viruses on the taskbar. I scanned with Ad-Aware and it found every single virus and removed it.

Speaking of viruses I should probaly scan. lol
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
chico

Default free anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz

travis, when your McAffee subscription ends, download the free antivirus software from Avast.com

Works great, updates automatically, and free to home users
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Joey Bowman

Quote:

If it is so easy, please share your secret.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Just get a decent firewall and get a script blocker for your browser. I don't even use any anti-virus software but I do check the task manager regularly to make sure no processes are running that shouldn't be.

Simple, eh?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Firefox + Spybot + Noscript + AVG antivirus + NEVER USING MS EXPLORER!

All free, all effective. No popups, viruses, spyware, spam, junk, poo, or crap.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Amen! I'm not anti-Mac or pro-PC but the virus thing is overblown. I've never known or personally heard of a person who lost files due to a virus. Hard disk failure, yes, many times, back up often! But not virus. Just use an anti-virus program and you should be fine.

And especially since the various articles I read from time to time say you should have anti-virus protection on a Mac anyway, there isn't even a cost savings (to help offset the greater overall cost of a Mac).

I use the AVG suite currently, might switch to the ZoneAlarm suite.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote